• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Less offensive hits have been penalized more severely.

What's a one game suspension, anyway?

Tootoo should've been suspended 1 game for his hit last night. Especially since the victim fell to the ice, increasing the risk of him hitting his head on the ice and causing a concussion.

What's a one game suspension anyway?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Tootoo should've been suspended 1 game for his hit last night. Especially since the victim fell to the ice, increasing the risk of him hitting his head on the ice and causing a concussion.

What's a one game suspension anyway?

my point exactly, if this hit was suspension worthy then tootoo's is aswell

#23 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Except for the fact that Tootoo's skates stayed on the ice and the principal point of contact was the shoulder.

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Except for the fact that Tootoo's skates stayed on the ice and the principal point of contact was the shoulder.

He charged from the other end of the rink, and it was also boarding, also shoulder is debatable 

#25 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

No. That post was littered with sarcasm. Neither hit should even be considered suspendable.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

No. That post was littered with sarcasm. Neither hit should even be considered suspendable.

Sarcasm or not, if one is suspendable so is the other. In my opinion tootoo had the more dangerous hit because Larsen was 4 feet from the boards and tootoo smashed him into it, pretty reckless if you think about it

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Sarcasm or not, if one is suspendable so is the other. In my opinion tootoo had the more dangerous hit because Larsen was 4 feet from the boards and tootoo smashed him into it, pretty reckless if you think about it

Tootoo kept his elbows down and his feet on the ice throughout the entire hit. Hockey is a dangerous sport. Guys can get hurt on clean hits. Schenn's hit was a charge. However, it shouldn't be a suspendable hit.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Tootoo kept his elbows down and his feet on the ice throughout the entire hit. Hockey is a dangerous sport. Guys can get hurt on clean hits. Schenn's hit was a charge. However, it shouldn't be a suspendable hit.

tell me this isn't a charge and boarding please..

#29 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Give me a break. He didn't charge from the other end of the ice, and its not like he smashed his face into the boards from behind. The fact that this hit is even being discussed as possibly suspension-worthy is ridiculous.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Give me a break. He didn't charge from the other end of the ice, and its not like he smashed his face into the boards from behind. The fact that this hit is even being discussed as possibly suspension-worthy is ridiculous.

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Both of those from nhl.com and they pretty much both sum up the hit

#31 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

He jumped into hisf****** head.  Seriously, we are complaining about that?  Tootoo might have been charging, but he didn't jump into homie.  Are we penalizing hard hits or head hits?  Kind confused after reading this thread.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

He jumped into hisf****** head.  Seriously, we are complaining about that?  Tootoo might have been charging, but he didn't jump into homie.  Are we penalizing hard hits or head hits?  Kind confused after reading this thread.

I am not debating that schenn jumped on the hit. What I am saying is tootoos hit was just as dangerous, it was boarding and charging. Not to mention Larsen didn't even see the hit coming, by the time he even turned around tootoo was already hitting him

#33 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Tootoo's hit boarding/charging? :lol:  Good one! 

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Tootoo's hit boarding/charging? :lol:  Good one! 

esteef

Don't get me wrong, I loved the hit. I am going by nhls definition of boarding and charging though, which according to that, it was both.

#35 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

I thought leaving your skates was a no no

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

He got suspended for hitting him in the head, not for charging per se.  It was an illegal hit AND it targeted the head, that's suspension worthy.  An illegal hit by it's lonesome is just worthy of a penalty.  Maybe Tootoo should have got a penalty, but not a suspension.  Schenn deserved both.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

He got suspended for hitting him in the head, not for charging per se.  It was an illegal hit AND it targeted the head, that's suspension worthy.  An illegal hit by it's lonesome is just worthy of a penalty.  Maybe Tootoo should have got a penalty, but not a suspension.  Schenn deserved both.

fair enough

#38 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

The reason Larsen went into the boards heavy is because he saw Tootoo coming and tried to pull away like a wuss.  He deserved to get smoked.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#39 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

SHoudl have been a 2 minute penalty or the refs just let it go cause it was borderline, to start suspending guys for hits like this is a slippery slope.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#40 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Also the puck was gone already. I understand that player is allowed to finish his check but Schenn took quite a run into this one. The stated purpose of hockey hits is to separate player from the puck. I guess league is trying to send a message to not make hits just for sake of hitting.