• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

worse before better.....

Rate this topic

Thats great news, goaltender situation looks more solid in that light. For once lol.

Only if Howard is resigned. He is a UFA after this year.

Say what?

Really? Shanahan, Maltby, Draper, Chelios, Vernon, Hossa, Rafalski, etc......................... It was a 50-50 mix of draftee and FA's/trades.

I'm well aware of our history of bringing in complimentary pieces through trade and free agency. But, when was the last time the wings' premier player at a position was acquired in such a way? Every team uses players they never drafted. I'm just making a distinction between building through free agency and plugging holes.

If we're not "historically" big on acquisitions (granted, we haven't really been for a few couple seasons now), I'm not sure what team is. I guess we could agree on the tired line about the salary cap era - that you just can't do it ("build from without").

EDIT: To answer your question: Hossa, I think.

Edited by Dabura

1. Actually, the answer might be Samuelsson or Bertuzzi. I really don't care enough to check the facts (no offense intended, of course).

2. All of these guys (and many others) came from outside, not from within:

Bertuzzi

Calder

Chelios

Coffey

Corazzini

Cullen

Drake

Draper

Duchesne

Ference

Fetisov

Hartigan

Hasek

Hatcher

Hossa

Hull

Joseph

Larionov

Maltby

Murphy

Olausson

Rafalski

Ranford

Robitaille

Samuelsson, M.

Samuelsson, U.

Shanahan

Stafford

Thomas

Edited by Dabura

Yea... That's some big dreaming.

Andersson will be the 4th line center before Sheahan gets it. Tatar would get a shot where you have Jarnkrok before Jarnkrok gets it.

Sproul and Oulette need to hit the AHL and the gym for a year before they can be considered regulars in the NHL.

Mrazek as backup is an absolute waste. The guy is going to be the clear starter in GR for atleast the next 2 seasons. Gustavsson will be fine riding the pine.

There's also no way Iginla would come to the Red Wings if they finish in the bottom 5 this season. He wants a cup and has played on enough bad teams in Calgary.

However, try this roster in a season on NHL13 and let us know how it goes. I'm curious.

At least that team would be interesting to watch and FAST. The Wings lineup this year is stale aside from the regular contributors like Z and Dats. If Quincey's play doesn't improve soon, he will likely be taking the train this offseason. Mrazek is gonna push Howard for the starting job within the next 2 years and I disagree with you about Sproul and Oullet (or however we're gonna spell his name) and I believe they should be on the team asap. Holland's overripe philosophy is just one of the reasons that we likely won't see DeKeyser sign here cause he's not gonna want to spend half his 20's in GR when he could be on an NHL roster next year. And for all the guys that think Seth Jones is the quick fix for D, Oullet was better than him in the WJC and Sproul should have been there to RUN the D on Canada....instead, he was the player of the month in the CHL in December. As well, if Iginla doesn't want to sign here, maybe Perry or Getzlaf would as they're both still under 30 and both have cup rings.

I agree Z. Seth Jones is a talent and seems like he is a great person but if you're unlucky enough to end up in the top 5 there is high end forward talent to take this draft.

The only thing i'm not sure on though is McKinnon or Drouin. Cause Drouin is awesome. He reminds me a lot of Matt Duchene, when he's not injured.

A few thoughts:

-Samuelsson has a No Trade Clause. He's not going anywhere unless he gets bought out in the summer.

-Seth Jones is 15 months and 2 draft-years younger than Ouellet. Ouellet theoretically SHOULD be better in a setting like the WJC. Besides, you can never have too much prospect depth on D...

I think this team is ripe for a change. It just feels stale. The challenge is figuring out the right move(s). However, I think if this team continues to struggle and underachieve, someone needs to be moved out, not only to acquire some needed help, but to send a message to the players who remain.

I just noticed something...you live in the Shire lol. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

lol, its pronounced "sha" though, as in Tasha. Linconsha.

However, I think if this team continues to struggle and underachieve,

someone needs to be moved out, not only to acquire some needed help, but

to send a message to the players who remain.

By someone, you mean Franzen, right? :P

Another thought... there are far more left-hand shots in the NHL than right-hand shots. This has to do with dominant-hand theories. Many believe the strong hand goes on top of the stick, which would help in handling the puck and overall stick control. Since most people are naturally right-hand dominant, those who play hockey would be left-handed shots. The other theory says the strong hand goes on the bottom of the stick, which would aid in powering shots and passes. This theory is less popular in traditional hockey areas though.

Guest Crymson

I think the team will be in OK shape with Ericsson back. What we're seeing now is a discombobulated team on defense. It'll improve.

When Samuelsson is back, we'll have a good degree of firepower on the third line (Helm, Eaves, Samuelsson) and a fair amount on the 4th (Abdelkader, Tootoo, Miller).

Guest The Axe

I think the team will be in OK shape with Ericsson back. What we're seeing now is a discombobulated team on defense. It'll improve.

When Samuelsson is back, we'll have a good degree of firepower on the third line (Helm, Eaves, Samuelsson) and a fair amount on the 4th (Abdelkader, Tootoo, Miller).

Leave Sammy out.

What a load of crap.

People need to back up their posts with actual facts.

1. Franzen was our leading goal scorer last year. You don't buy out your leading goal scorer no matter how much the fans don't like his work ethic.

2. The Red Wings prospects are ranked middle of the pack or better by everybody that actually knows something about this.

3. The Wings are 2-2 after 4 games. The Rangers who are favored to win the Cup are 2-3 and in last place in their division. Last year's Cup winners are 1-2-1. You can't draw any conclusions this early.

4. The Wings played the Stars with 8 guys out because of injury and played the last game missing 3 of their 6 starting defensemen.

Blow up the team at this point? Seriously?

Trouble is, we dont have tradeable assets and the UFA class this summer is weak. We are, to a degree, victims of circumstance. Holland can try to package something but its unlikely he would land anyone great for what we could offer.

Trouble is, we dont have tradeable assets and the UFA class this summer is weak. We are, to a degree, victims of circumstance. Holland can try to package something but its unlikely he would land anyone great for what we could offer.

Wrong on both assumptions. Last year's ufa was weak. Smith, Franzen, Flip, Nyquist, Tatar, and the list goes on. They all would yield a good return but Holland isn't a huge fan of trading unless a glaring need or a slam dunk. There are winners and losers in almost every trade like the Q trade lol.

Wrong on both assumptions. Last year's ufa was weak. Smith, Franzen, Flip, Nyquist, Tatar, and the list goes on. They all would yield a good return but Holland isn't a huge fan of trading unless a glaring need or a slam dunk. There are winners and losers in almost every trade like the Q trade lol.

This year's UFA class is weak. Already the list of defensemen is pretty pathetic, and probably 2/3rds of the decent players will re-sign before UFA season. Forwards look a lot better right now, but again I'd bet most of the best talent signs before they're available. It's highly unlikely that UFAs will be a viable solution.

I don't think our trade assets are as valuable as you seem to think either. Flip and Franzen would both create holes in the lineup and with their current deals you probably couldn't get an even return. Smith could probably get us a short term upgrade, but he's 23 with a lot of upside. Pretty much the exact opposite of what we want to trade right now. Most of our prospects are still years away from the NHL and very much unknown. You're not going to get a lot for any of them.

Nyquist and Tatar probably get you something decent, but I don't think it's enough to make a meaningful difference.

Our current roster will not fetch us a lot of playoff success over the next three years. I think 5- 8 years down the road, (assuming our prospects pan out) is when we will be serious contenders again. You only go all out with trades and signings when you really feel you are close to winning the big games. Our last big FA signing was Rafalski. No coincidence in his first season here we won the cup. The brass felt that the team was close to winning (got to the WCF the previous year) and went out and made a huge signing. That year at the deadline we also shored up our defense by acquring Stuart.

We are a strange team though, because even if you go back to last year we were great for half the season, and set the record for consecutive home wins. Yet, we fizzled out in the end due to some untimely injuries.

We are a lower middle of the pack team for this year and probably 2 - 3 more. I see us finishing anywhere from 7/8 - 10/11. The only thing I hope is we don't try to plug weaknesses by signing middle of the road players for too much $$$. Look at calgary and Toronto

Our current roster will not fetch us a lot of playoff success over the next three years. I think 5- 8 years down the road, (assuming our prospects pan out) is when we will be serious contenders again. You only go all out with trades and signings when you really feel you are close to winning the big games. Our last big FA signing was Rafalski. No coincidence in his first season here we won the cup. The brass felt that the team was close to winning (got to the WCF the previous year) and went out and made a huge signing. That year at the deadline we also shored up our defense by acquring Stuart.

We are a strange team though, because even if you go back to last year we were great for half the season, and set the record for consecutive home wins. Yet, we fizzled out in the end due to some untimely injuries.

We are a lower middle of the pack team for this year and probably 2 - 3 more. I see us finishing anywhere from 7/8 - 10/11. The only thing I hope is we don't try to plug weaknesses by signing middle of the road players for too much $$$. Look at calgary and Toronto

You have a valide point my friend there is going to be a few years ahead that are going to be rough for us i dont see us ever really getting back to the DEAD Wings era but i do see a few hit and misses with the playoffs and as i said in another post we have all become spoiled and acustom to expecting a deep run or a cup and after 21 years and 4 cups we really cant complain we are always going to be looked back on as a great team that every respext but sooner or later ppl wont fear us as they use to because every team goes thru a trend of ups and downs and it might finally be are time to slip alittle i see 8th or 9th for us this year but if we get in at 8th never know we could pull a LA

Clinging to yesterday will destroy this team. It has been 5 years since we won the Cup. Last 3 years we lost in the second round twice and the first round last year. 5 years from now there is a strong chance that none of Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg will even be in the league. All will be in their late 30's. Even if we find 8-12 prospects that work out, none of these guys will be key to anything. If/when they retire we get zero, zip nada for them. All 3 have value today, so if the deal is right, make it.

Clinging to yesterday will destroy this team. It has been 5 years since we won the Cup. Last 3 years we lost in the second round twice and the first round last year. 5 years from now there is a strong chance that none of Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg will even be in the league. All will be in their late 30's. Even if we find 8-12 prospects that work out, none of these guys will be key to anything. If/when they retire we get zero, zip nada for them. All 3 have value today, so if the deal is right, make it.

This is one way you can eliminate yourself from signing top free agents or retaining your own stars. Good thing for us the ownership doesn't operate like this.

This is one way you can eliminate yourself from signing top free agents or retaining your own stars. Good thing for us the ownership doesn't operate like this.

Cause top flight FA's have been flocking to detroit over the last 5 years. name one please........... Hossa was 08 already......