• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

PK Subban

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414354

Montreal's situation is looking more and more desperate. And all signs are now pointing to a Subban trade. Should Kenny be interested here?? Personally, I think it's something that should at least be explored. Especially since both teams are desperate in their own ways. So what do you guys think? And what would you be willing to give up for Subban?

We don't have enough assets that would allow us to try and get him. We would burn another hole, while trying to patch the original. Unfortunately.

"I think it's ultimately heading toward a trade," said McKenzie. "They're just too far apart on the term of the contract - P.K. wants long, the Canadiens want two years - and they're probably at least $2.5 to $3 million per year apart on where they want to be. Ultimately I think this ends up in a trade."

"It's come down to this - I want to be paid what I'm worth," Subban told Gazette columnist Dave Stubbs. "I don't even know what to think any more," he said. "At this point, you have to remain optimistic (and realize) it is a business, and a lot of things can happen.

"I hope (a trade) is not the case. I want to play for the Canadiens. I want to help the team. With the young players we have in the organization right now, we still have a great opportunity to win. But for my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated."

He would HATE Detroit.

Edited by evilzyme

Yep, I think Bergevin is trying to create a new atmosphere in Montreal, and this won't go on too long. At first I thought it was just the typical posturing from agent/ownership....but then I saw this:

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, speaking during The Quiz on the NHL on TSN on Wednesday night, was asked if the Canadiens will eventually sign or trade their prized rearguard.

"I think it's ultimately heading toward a trade," said McKenzie. "They're just too far apart on the term of the contract - P.K. wants long, the Canadiens want two years - and they're probably at least $2.5 to $3 million per year apart on where they want to be. Ultimately I think this ends up in a trade."

And there is the problem. I've stopped paying attention to the cap since the lockout, so someone else will have to speculate on if the Wings have the room to sign Subban even after they trade for his rights, which seems like the easy part.

Yep, I think Bergevin is trying to create a new atmosphere in Montreal, and this won't go on too long. At first I thought it was just the typical posturing from agent/ownership....but then I saw this:

And there is the problem. I've stopped paying attention to the cap since the lockout, so someone else will have to speculate on if the Wings have the room to sign Subban even after they trade for his rights, which seems like the easy part.

Red Wings cap situation is decent. They would be able to afford him under the allowed $70.2mil cap from the old CBA as long as he signs for under $7.5mil a year. However, it would make things tight for next season as the cap is going back down to $64.3mil and the Red Wings already have roughly $45.2mil tied up and need space to replace or resign Brunner, Howard, Filppula, Cleary, Smith, Kindl, White, Miller and Mursak.

It would be really awesome to land Subban, but lets get real its not Kenny's style to trade roster players. Im just not sure what he would realistically offer.

I'm sure it wouldn't stop him from trying. We have plenty of depth up front we could add to a trade, but I get the feeling that the price would be high. Bergevin would want atleast Smith and Nyquist and probably a player he could throw in his line up now like Helm or Ericsson.

I'm sure it wouldn't stop him from trying. We have plenty of depth up front we could add to a trade, but I get the feeling that the price would be high. Bergevin would want atleast Smith and Nyquist and probably a player he could throw in his line up now like Helm or Ericsson.

Kenny isn't going to trade D assets. Smith bundled in a Subban trade? No thank you. Helm and Nyquist plus pick? Yes, it hurts, but the blueline needs an upgrade like yesterday.

Our 3rd and 4th liners are all expendable players, except for Helm (who we're not trading).

So we don't really have much "quality" depth. No one wants recyclable players in a trade. They can get those themselves and probably already have them.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

i don't understand not wanting to trade smith in a package for subban. they're practically the same age and subban is already much better. it's an instant upgrade.

maybe it would be ideal to have both, but that's not realistic.

Our 3rd and 4th liners are all expendable players, except for Helm (who we're not trading).

So we don't really have much "quality" depth. No one wants recyclable players in a trade. They can get those themselves and probably already have them.

I agree. That's what I meant when I said the price would be high, meaning that they would want worthwhile forwards in exchange and really that leaves Helm and possibly Abdelkader.

I agree. That's what I meant when I said the price would be high, meaning that they would want worthwhile forwards in exchange and really that leaves Helm and possibly Abdelkader.

Abdelkader, unlike Helm, is expendable.

This team really seems to struggle when Helm isn't around.

i don't understand not wanting to trade smith in a package for subban. they're practically the same age and subban is already much better. it's an instant upgrade.

maybe it would be ideal to have both, but that's not realistic.

I'm not against trading Smith, I'm merely pointing out that he probably has the most value to a team considering a trade with Detroit.

Abdelkader, unlike Helm, is expendable.

This team really seems to struggle when Helm isn't around.

I agree Helm is much more valuable that Abdelkader, but I think Abdelkaders age makes him the most attractive out of the "expendable" bunch.

Who was the last black guy to play in Detroit? Nathan Robinson?

I always pushed for Holland to get Mike Grier or Georges Laraque, but he never did.

I'd love to have Wayne Simmonds...

I'm not so sure what you're referring to, but damn you made me :lol:

I mean that they have both had their on ice and some off ice issues in the past. This team has been known for 20 years for a pretty squeaky clean image. Might be some babysitting costs that need to be involved in the contract.

I mean that they have both had their on ice and some off ice issues in the past. This team has been known for 20 years for a pretty squeaky clean image. Might be some babysitting costs that need to be involved in the contract.

Good point. I'm not sure how that would be handled with Lids gone. It remains to be seen how Z would handle, or not handle players like that.

I'd do whatever it takes to get him if you can. He's 23, decent defensively and developing while very good offensively. If we could put him next to Kronwall, the defensive depth goes up. I'd start off with Nyquist/Tatar, Ouellet(top french defense prospect, oui?), Kindl/Ericsson and a 1st and negotiate from there. You pay for this guy, once he's ours Kenny can figure out how to sign him to a good deal. 8 years 48 mil? I'd be willing.

What's being ignored in this thread so far is that Kenny doesn't need to trade for Subban to land him. He's an RFA so technically Kenny could float an offer sheet. It won't happen, but in theory he could. That also comes with the risk that the Habs would match it too and if they didn't, the Wings would lose future draft picks.