• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Not sure if it's already been covered, but how can they be $2.5-3M apart? What is Montreal offering and/or how much does PK think he's worth?

Given the minutes he plays, points he puts up, plays in all situations, decently physical, decent shot blocker...got to think Montreal is offering at least $3.5-4M. Does he think he's worth $6-7M? Or are the Habs just really low-balling?

Assuming he's not actually insane in his demands, I'd like to get him. But I'd assume Montreal would want an NHL defenseman in return, and we don't have any to spare. Doubt they'd take Lashoff.

#62 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

P.K. wants Doughty money.  He wants a 6-7 year term for $6-$7 million a season.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#63 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Not sure if it's already been covered, but how can they be $2.5-3M apart? What is Montreal offering and/or how much does PK think he's worth?

Given the minutes he plays, points he puts up, plays in all situations, decently physical, decent shot blocker...got to think Montreal is offering at least $3.5-4M. Does he think he's worth $6-7M? Or are the Habs just really low-balling?

Assuming he's not actually insane in his demands, I'd like to get him. But I'd assume Montreal would want an NHL defenseman in return, and we don't have any to spare. Doubt they'd take Lashoff.

P.K. wants Doughty money.  He wants a 6-7 year term for $6-$7 million a season.

That's my take as well.

Long-term big $$$ that others have earned where as in his 2 seasons PK thinks he's Norris Trophy material...If he had any common sense, or modesty - he'd work  out a 2 yr deal, and then demand the big $$$ if he were to show improvement in this short season, and next.

As much as I like him - I can see him being a cancer in any locker room.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#64 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

That's the thing, he doesn't want out of Montreal. He and the franchise would've already been moving if they didn't see a mutual relationship that wanted to be retained. In all of his interviews, he praises Montreal and says that he wants nothing more than to stay with the club. He just thinks he rates more than he actually does.

Because everything a person says to and in the media is wholly true. (Sorry, not trying to be a ****** bag. Just saying.) He probably does indeed want to stay with the Habs...but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he might be considering a move. That there might be more to this than meets the eye. Again, though, who knows for sure.

Edited by Dabura, 25 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#65 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

From everything I've seen, the Habs offered a 2 year deal in the $2.5-2.75m a year range.  So basically, he's asking for twice what the Habs offered & also wants the deal to be 5 or 6 years instead of 2.

#66 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

5mil per year for 8 years? They need to call up Hakan Andersson and see what he thinks. 

#67 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

From everything I've seen, the Habs offered a 2 year deal in the $2.5-2.75m a year range.  So basically, he's asking for twice what the Habs offered & also wants the deal to be 5 or 6 years instead of 2.

That offer by Habs GM Marc Bergevin is more than fair.

#68 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

So basically Del Zotto's deal. Guess it makes sense, though a bit surprising considering they gave Gorges 6 yrs @ $3.9M.

#69 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

So basically Del Zotto's deal. Guess it makes sense, though a bit surprising considering they gave Gorges 6 yrs @ $3.9M.

I bet if Subban wanted $4 million a season for 6 years then it could be a done deal.  As it turns out, he wants $6-$7 million for 6 years.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#70 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I bet if Subban wanted $4 million a season for 6 years then it could be a done deal.  As it turns out, he wants $6-$7 million for 6 years.

HAHAHAHAHA! Wheres the source for that? He's no Lidstrom. What a joke. 

#71 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Who was the last black guy to play in Detroit?  Nathan Robinson?

I always pushed for Holland to get Mike Grier or Georges Laraque, but he never did.   

yea it was Robinson 4 games

Edited by sjr2012, 25 January 2013 - 07:06 PM.

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#72 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

HAHAHAHAHA! Wheres the source for that? He's no Lidstrom. What a joke. 

I posted this once already.

http://www.cbssports...ney-in-new-deal

Mind you, he isn't coming out and saying it, but if you have watched the news wire, it all fits together.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#73 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

P.K. Subban vs. His Peers

Don't Toews me, bro!

#74 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I posted this once already.

http://www.cbssports...ney-in-new-deal

Mind you, he isn't coming out and saying it, but if you have watched the news wire, it all fits together.

It's worth noting that the title of the article is also NHL Rumors.  And that link doesn't mention the numbers you stated as fact.

Not to say Subban isn't asking for that, but it's still all just rumblings.  Which are especially suspect to me since it involves Montreal. 

I haven't seen him play a ton, but he's only 23 years old and has a lot of talent.  I can't see him getting Doughty money though, if only because of the new CBA. 

#75 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

One thing is for sure: we're not getting him.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#76 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

That offer by Habs GM Marc Bergevin is more than fair.

uh, no.

no it's not.

#77 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

If benn is under 5.5per under the new CBA then subban sure should be below that. I know they play different positions but Benn is a far more established player at this point and only got 5.5. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#78 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

uh, no.

no it's not.

Care to elaborate?

After 2 seasons in the NHL would you - the GM of the Canadiens give in to what he wants - which I'm guessing is 5 plus years at $5 plus million per season?

#79 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Kenny isn't going to trade D assets. Smith bundled in a Subban trade? No thank you. Helm and Nyquist plus pick? Yes, it hurts, but the blueline needs an upgrade like yesterday. 

Detroit cannot afford to trade Helm. He is much more valuable than people recognize. Look what happened in the playoff when Helm went down. They had no neutral zone speed and that is why Detroit could never create any quality chances against the Preds. Then compare the first three games of the season compared to the game vs the Wild. A returning Helm is a key upgrade to Detroit's game already. 

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#80 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

2010-11: 14 goals and 24 assists in 17 regular season games with the Habs, 

I'm positive that this never actually happened. You're missing 60 games there; it happened in 77.

2011-12: helped lead the Habs to the ECF

This, too, never transpired; the Habs didn't even make the playoffs last season. You're referring to 2009-2010. He hasn't performed that well since.

On the decidedly bad side, the kid does seem to have some "issues." But he's 23. And he's not a Wing. Being a Wing has a way of humbling players and bringing out the best in them.

Like who? What data do you have to support this? The very simple fact is that Ken Holland has never, in his entire tenure, signed a player who has a bad attitude. Those who developed one, i.e. Leino and Avery, ended up on a one-way plane out of town. You don't have a clue if being on the Wings could erase somebody's bad behavior. But human nature and human history suggest that if a highly-paid athlete has a bad attitude on one team, it's going to come with him wherever he goes.

Is he exactly what we really, truly need on D right now? Not quite, no. But, beggars and choosers and all that. And he does have some great things to offer, no doubt it.

And he will require great things to be offered if the Canadiens are to be enticed to let him go. And this is notwithstanding his salary demands, which seem to be absurd.

Edited by Crymson, 27 January 2013 - 11:33 AM.