• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nyquistfan14

Kindl

Rate this topic

I was just thinking today about kindl as he is coming back for Friday. Anyways I was thinking about last year and was wondering what there take was on him from the start of the season up until the deadline.

If I remember correctly I thought he was playing well and progressing solidly up until the deadline (or until that St. Louis game on the road, we won in SO)

But I felt our d last year was playing great until we brought in Quincey, and Kindl basically didn't play. I could be totally wrong but I had nothing to complain about with kindl up until around the deadline.

I thought he started the year out well, played solid and didn't make too many costly mistakes for a young guy. I really liked his transition game especially, as he is able to skate well and make good outlet passes. However, I'm not sure that either he or the team know exactly what kind of a defenseman they want him to be. If they want him to be an effective puck mover, he needs to be paired with a stay at home guy so that he can play his transition game more ably. However, Babcock frequently talks about how Kindl needs to use his size to his advantage and be harder on guys in his own end. He's not very good at this, and if that's what he's being groomed to do then I think he'll disappoint.

All in all I'm not ready to give up on Kindl. Ericssson was bad for 3-4 years before he took the next step and earned his playing time last season. Jiri Fischer wasn't that great to begin with either. As they got more comfortable, and their role became more defined, they adapted their game successfully. Hopefully Kindl will too.

Edited by kipwinger

They normally say that d-men really don't typically fully develop until what, 27 or 28 years of age? Kindl's 25 and an RFA after the season so I think he needs to build on those few flashes he had last season where he looked like that he could hold onto at least a spot on the bottom pairing going forward. He's demonstrated that in fits & starts & I hope he does prove he belongs if he does truly get the chance with all the holes the Wings have on D right now. If not, I think he's looking for a new team this summer while Lashoff secures that spot as the Wings 6/7 next season.

Guest The Axe

Kindl is a big, moves the puck well, and skates well. He just needs time to settle. Just like Fischer, Ericsson, etc as mentioned above.