• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

It was bush league. Everyone knows it. He will have to answer for it sooner or later.

It was honest.

You're a young star. Loads of pressure on you to perform and sell the sport and breathe new life into the Oilers franchise etc. And you score that goal. You're probably gonna lose yourself for a few seconds.

We watch hockey for the entertainment, the drama. The escape. The excitement. The rush.

That's what this is. And that's why it is, IMHO, fine.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#62 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

If one young player does that every once in a while, totally fine.  

I'd only be concerned if more and more players started skating away from their teammates to draw attention to themselves in celebration.  

Hockey is already getting like soccer with all the diving.  

#63 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I really don't like it. I saw it live and thought for sure the Kings were going to go after him in OT. I understand that's a major goal but there's a code that you act by.

I would go after the Kings for going after him, there's a code I act by.

#64 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Showboating is lame. Theres one time in hockey where its cool to showboat. When #19 is holding the cup up in the air after sweeping the Flyers!!! Thats a good time to show everyone youre happy with yourself.

#65 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Meh. People are getting too worked up over this. It's not like the Icky Shuffle or pulling a cell phone out of his uniform. It seemed a spontaneous display of emotion from a young, excited kid.

#66 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Showboating is lame.

Showboating? Is it not possible that he was just genuinely thrilled and lost himself for a moment? And is that really such a crime?

This isn't Wimbledon, guys. It's hockey. Wherein fighting is applauded and bone-crushing hits are delivered on a regular basis and players are boo'd because they signed with one team over another and octopi and catfish and rubber rats are thrown on the ice surface by fans. And we're wagging our fingers at this of all things? A great young player scoring a big clutch goal in dramatic fashion and sliding down the ice in celebration? Really? Honestly? Seriously?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#67 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

When Datsyuk scored late to win a game, not just tie it, he celebrated like this.  Yakupov is a showboat, plain and simple.  And as I've said already, I don't like it, I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't teach it to kids. 

Edited by kipwinger, 26 January 2013 - 05:18 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#68 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

WAIT. Datsyuk is modest and humble?!?!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#69 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yep he is, and while I'm sure he was "genuinely thrilled" at scoring a late game winning goal, he somehow managed to not "lose himself" and make his teammates and opponents look and feel like total assholes. 

He celebrated with him team, who surprisingly enough, actually put in some work of their own to help him make the play.  Yakupov must have been temporarily unaware that in order to score a rebound goal like that, at least one of your teammates needed to be doing something right too, but then again he "lost himself for a moment", so it's cool.

Edited by kipwinger, 26 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#70 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

He bunted a goal in as have 1000's of hockey players. He tied the game up, as have 1000's of hockey players. He acted like he just found a cure for cancer, and only 2 or 3 players have acted like that. And people generally dont like those types of guys. He should have jumped into the boards and then celebrated with his teammates. Lambeau leaps = cool. Running from the endzone to the other 25 yard line by yourself and doing a faceplant = lame.

#71 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

CBC's Coach's Corner.

From Toronto Star:

“If anytime you want to make our highlights at the start (of the show) just act like an idiot like this, you’ll get in our highlights,” said Cherry, as a clip of Yakupov’s celebration played. 

“Here’s the MVP of the National Hockey League, here’s the best goaltender in the world, he’s embarrassed him, laying there like that,” said Cherry. “I’m telling you they — L.A. — is going to remember this. They will remember this to the dying day.

“You don’t do stuff like that.”

Perfect!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#72 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I think Yakupov will have to answer for it eventually.

#73 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Everyone complaining about a damn goal celebration are drama queens, just like Don Cherry. If you want story lines over the actual sport, go watch wrestling.

#74 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Everyone complaining about a damn goal celebration are drama queens, just like Don Cherry. If you want story lines over the actual sport, go watch wrestling.

So I guess Stoll and Westgarth + all other Kings are Drama Queens?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#75 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Don Cherry is a patriotic f*head. If it was Nugent Hopkins or Eberle doing the celebration he wouldn't have a god damn problem with it. He's and Hughson are the reasons I don't tune in to CBC Hockey.

bringit.jpg

#76 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Oh geez, what's the big deal? It was a huge goal, he's a kid and he was excited.

Nothing wrong with it IMO, as long as he doesn't do this every time he scores then why complain about it?

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#77 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

2z6ecly.jpg

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#78 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Loved it.  The 18 yo kid is playing in a market that is starved for excitement, he scored a big goal vs. the Stanley Cup champs after the refs f*cked them all game.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  The fans went NUTS when they saw it.

It was raw emotion, it wasn't a preconceived dolphin dive or a toss of the glove in the air while shooting it ala Selanne.  If everyone acted like Datsyuk (he is 35 btw) after scoring a goal, this would be the most boring league in the world. Silly comparison.    

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#79 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Loved it.  The 18 yo kid is playing in a market that is starved for excitement, he scored a big goal vs. the Stanley Cup champs after the refs f*cked them all game.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  The fans went NUTS when they saw it.

It was raw emotion, it wasn't a preconceived dolphin dive or a toss of the glove in the air while shooting it ala Selanne.  If everyone acted like Datsyuk (he is 35 btw) after scoring a goal, this would be the most boring league in the world. Silly comparison.    

Here I thought it was key goals, hits, and saves that made the game exciting, not the obnoxious celebrations afterward.  Maybe that's why the world goes so nuts for European soccer, lots of showmanship over there. 

Datsyuk's been lighting the lap here in Detroit since 2002, with no dancing afterward.  Has it seemed boring to you?

#80 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Here I thought it was key goals, hits, and saves that made the game exciting, not the obnoxious celebrations afterward.  Maybe that's why the world goes so nuts for European soccer, lots of showmanship over there. 

Datsyuk's been lighting the lap here in Detroit since 2002, with no dancing afterward.  Has it seemed boring to you?

Exactly. That goal he scored the other night to tie it in Columbus- he knew it was all Kronwall so he just smirked at his tap in and patted Krons on the head. Yskupov would have gone for a broomstick ride.