• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

How do we solve our PK issues?

Rate this topic

Emmerton, Miller/Eaves, Abdelkader, Helm.

I won't blame the last guy as much as I'll blame the first three, but our PK hasn't been up to snuff the last 2/3 years and obviously this year it has been a disaster.

It's almost as if Babcock has this mindset: the guys on the 3rd and 4th lines will play the penalty kill.

If that is his thought process, considering who are our 3rd and 4th line players, then it is flawed. Penalty killers need to have a high hockey IQ. They need to be able to anticipate where the puck is going, play angles, and have the athleticism to attack the puck carrier without putting the rest of their linemates in jeopardy.

We used to field our best players on the PK: Pav, Hank, The Captain, Fedorov, etc. I realize that using Pav and Hank on the PK now is risky due to endurance issues, but we lost a 2-0 twice because of taking stupid penalties and then the PK couldn't hold up.

I noticed Miller, Emmerton, and Abdelkader particularly last night how they would stay in the box and not pressure the puck carrier whatsoever and to boot they were playing pretty deep inside the blue line giving the point men A TON of space.

Need a change....

1. tighten up the defense, clear the crease

2. ?

3. PKit

I am starting to wonder, if Renney is the right guy for running our special teams.

Because of the lockout I'm guessing he's only had a couple weeks with the guys. Time shall tell.

And as Axe said, getting Ericsson back will help. The PK suffered without him last year.

Emmerton, Miller/Eaves, Abdelkader, Helm.

I won't blame the last guy as much as I'll blame the first three, but our PK hasn't been up to snuff the last 2/3 years and obviously this year it has been a disaster.

It's almost as if Babcock has this mindset: the guys on the 3rd and 4th lines will play the penalty kill.

If that is his thought process, considering who are our 3rd and 4th line players, then it is flawed. Penalty killers need to have a high hockey IQ. They need to be able to anticipate where the puck is going, play angles, and have the athleticism to attack the puck carrier without putting the rest of their linemates in jeopardy.

We used to field our best players on the PK: Pav, Hank, The Captain, Fedorov, etc. I realize that using Pav and Hank on the PK now is risky due to endurance issues, but we lost a 2-0 twice because of taking stupid penalties and then the PK couldn't hold up.

I noticed Miller, Emmerton, and Abdelkader particularly last night how they would stay in the box and not pressure the puck carrier whatsoever and to boot they were playing pretty deep inside the blue line giving the point men A TON of space.

Need a change....

That is the passize box. I don't know why the coaches haven't attempted a active/aggressive appraoch, but that is not on the players.

That is the passize box. I don't know why the coaches haven't attempted a active/aggressive appraoch, but that is not on the players.

I only saw the highlights but in one of them the PK guys were all within arms length of one another in front of the net. That seems way too close even for the passive box.

Guest Johnz96

The PK was 7 for 8 last night. Top 6 forwards did get time om the PK yesterday. Even Franzen

Guest Crymson

The PK ran at 87.5% last night.

As others have noted, Ericsson's return will pay dividends. As much as I've criticized the guy, he's very important on the PK. Huskins did quite well also. Carlo going down may have been a blessing in disguise.

On the subject of defensemen, did any of you notice Kindl throwing his size around last night?

Guest The Axe

As others have noted, Ericsson's return will pay dividends. As much as I've criticized the guy, he's very important on the PK. Huskins did quite well also. Carlo going down may have been a blessing in disguise.

On the subject of defensemen, did any of you notice Kindl throwing his size around last night?

Kindl takes way more abuse than he should. It amazes me how people around these parts dont understand the difference between legit NHL youngsters and longshot prospect youngsters.

keep is simple.

shift should be 25-30 seconds. most shifts i see are 45 seconds to a minute on PK

speed and high pressure on the puck carrier

clear it out. noticed quite a few that could have gone out last night that didnt

keep blocking shots

if that fails

jimmy howard

Kindl takes way more abuse than he should. It amazes me how people around these parts dont understand the difference between legit NHL youngsters and longshot prospect youngsters.

I didn't see the game but it's good to hear Kindl was using his size a little.

I'm hard on him because he plays so much smaller than he is. At 6'3" 216 lbs. he's bigger than guys like Kronwall, Quincey and Smith, all who are more physical. He's about to turn 26 so is not really a youngster and is going on his third full season in the NHL. Plus he was taken in the first round at #19, which is the highest draft pick the Wings have had in years.

He has a lot of great qualities but can't seem to get it together. The most frustrating to me of all is not only the lack of using his size but how timid he is going in to corners. I've seen him bail out of a play to keep from getting hit way too many times.

Hopefully he does get it together because the Wings will need all the help they can get this season on the blueline.

Guest The Axe

I didn't see the game but it's good to hear Kindl was using his size a little.

I'm hard on him because he plays so much smaller than he is. At 6'3" 216 lbs. he's bigger than guys like Kronwall, Quincey and Smith, all who are more physical. He's about to turn 26 so is not really a youngster and is going on his third full season in the NHL. Plus he was taken in the first round at #19, which is the highest draft pick the Wings have had in years.

He has a lot of great qualities but can't seem to get it together. The most frustrating to me of all is not only the lack of using his size but how timid he is going in to corners. I've seen him bail out of a play to keep from getting hit way too many times.

Hopefully he does get it together because the Wings will need all the help they can get this season on the blueline.

He will. We will all be liking Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, Lashoff for 10 years. They are all young, big, and good skaters. Just need confidence and intensity.

I agree with you on the point about the PK, and I did think that Kindl was playing a little more physical. Hopefully he keeps that up once he gets back into game shape.

1. Hire Draper and Maltby as special PK coaches.

2. ?

3. Profit.

Might be one of the few that got this South Park reference, but it made me lol.

While there's supposed to be efforts from the Refs to remain consistent, there's a horrible inconsistency when it comes to calling games. Sometimes you get games like last night where you have 7+ minor penalties called against you, and some you are gonna see two called in the game total. I think last night can be half blamed on the Refs gettiing whistle happy and the other half dumb avoidable penalties. Mostly by Cleary.

Hopefully we don''t see a whole lot more games like last night where we are in the box for over a half period of the game.

Guest irishock

Weren't we awful in the PK the past 2-3 years as well? This has been a thing for some time now.

Weren't we awful in the PK the past 2-3 years as well? This has been a thing for some time now.

PK has been awful since Todd McClellan left after 07-08. Its been longer than you remember lol.

Guest Crymson

PK has been awful since Todd McClellan left after 07-08. Its been longer than you remember lol.

I don't think that #10 in 2009-2010 qualifies as "awful." That is rather good. Neither do #17 in 2010-2011 and #18 in 2011-2012, which instead fall into the middling range. Only in 2008-2009 was the PK below #20.

Guest The Axe

We could always get a guy named PK.

;)

Or have Pav take a few pk's against Monster in the hallway with that mini soccer ball.