• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

How do we solve our PK issues?

Rate this topic

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

can we change the title to "how do we solve our special teams issues?

now statistically the worst in the league on special teams.

30th.

out of 30.

how is this acceptable?

We are going to struggle on both untill we get some more talent. Let me explain. 10 years ago we had a bunch of good fast 3/4th line guys. Draper, maltby, etc..... They had the speed to attack the other teams PP. We have very few guys that have that type of speed. Even our "stars" don't have that type of speed. helm and Abby are the only ones that I would consider fast, and Abby doesn't use it enough.

On ST we lack shooters and front of net guys. Most euro's are pass first players. In europe C's are not shooters. They are passers and defensive guys. Most C's in europe play high, almost a 3rd Dman. As for front of net guys, only 2 have the talent to do it: Bert and franzen. Bert is always hurt and has abd back. Franzen lacks toughness, and is also one of our better shooters-when he wants to be.

We as fans need to get used to not being in the top 10 on ST's. We simply don't have the talent anymore. We are an old middle of the road team.

As for those complaining about penalties, stop. if the refs put the whistles away, we are going to get mugged and abused. Penalties help us. If you doubt that, go back and rewatch the PO series vs nashville from last year.

I think guys like Sheahan, Andersson, and Ferraro will go a long way in helping the PK eventually.

Whoever commented on our lack of speed on the PK nailed it. Speed AND size. They don't get to the points quickly enough, can't win a battle along the boards, and are never really an explosive threat to score short-handed. Helm is the only Wing that can do all of these things right now.

Edit to add: Cleary is killing penalties, and taking shifts on the PP. To me, this is insane. I just can't understand it.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest Crymson

I think guys like Sheahan, Andersson, and Ferraro will go a long way in helping the PK eventually.

Whoever commented on our lack of speed on the PK nailed it. Speed AND size. They don't get to the points quickly enough, can't win a battle along the boards, and are never really an explosive threat to score short-handed. Helm is the only Wing that can do all of these things right now.

Edit to add: Cleary is killing penalties, and taking shifts on the PP. To me, this is insane. I just can't understand it.

Whom would you put in Cleary's place? I agree that the guy sucks, but Babcock is trying to get him going, so he's getting PP time while Samuelsson is out.

Weren't we awful in the PK the past 2-3 years as well? This has been a thing for some time now.

Other teams lie low and clog up the shooting lanes. We have always been fast enough and smart enough to be agressive around the perimeter, pressuring the puck, even getting a few SHG. Now we've lost a bit of speed but we're still playing out around the perimeter, now much more passive on the attack and it results in nothing but a huge gapper on Howie's offside with atleast one opponent down low behind him wide open, waiting for a pinballed puck or rebound.

Look at other teams against us; your first thought is that it is so clogged up down low that even a drone puck couldn't fly through all the parking in the front of the net.

Then look at our PK set up and your first thought is "Wow there is a lot of open ice to cover, there is no way to stop them from scoring. We're hanging Howie out to dry, leaving him dangling in the wind, all alone.

It's as if we are not ready to admitt that we are not good enough to have an agressive, attacking PK anymore.

Our PP needs more motion without the puck; pass then skate through for a give and go or a tic tac toe, and someone else rotates up to cover the point or wing or whrever. If some moves to mark the cutter, that opens up a passing lane to someone else and so on. There used to be a lot more movement. There still is on the Canucks PP. The Sedins always pass and then skate and it creates a lot of open ice and over pursuing that eventually leads to wide open shot on the back side behiind the goalie.

It's not unlike a baskteball motion offense against a zone defense.

A big problem with this ultra compressed shorty schedule is that there is no time for practices in which to adress and correct your new found s***ty play. Vince Lombardi used to say that you cannot crticize what you haven't taught, and he was big on teaching (and criticizing).

I really like the idea posted above about having Drapes and Malts coach the PK.

Edited by T.Low

Guest The Axe

He also has a wind up that takes a half hour.

I've been one of the people here defending E, but his slapshot is pretty much useless until he learns how to get it off quicker and through traffic.

Its time now that lids is gone

Guest The Axe

That's funny as hell and at the same time sadly accurate. If his shot was as quick as your wit, our PP would be half way home.

Either way, get him out there.

The PP is obviously horrible, and I have no idea why except that they keep thinking that they can generate all the offense from the point.

The PK has looked really good the last two games though, so maybe we're over the hump on that one.

The other thing to keep in mind is, our lack of quality depth. When we were at our best we rolled 4 quality lines and had 3 good/great D pairs. Our stars played less 5 on 5 hockey and thus were fresh to help on the PK and PP. That isn't the case anymore either. Right now, if we can just get one going good, I would be happy. D wins championships, so get the PK right.

The other thing to keep in mind is, our lack of quality depth. When we were at our best we rolled 4 quality lines and had 3 good/great D pairs. Our stars played less 5 on 5 hockey and thus were fresh to help on the PK and PP. That isn't the case anymore either. Right now, if we can just get one going good, I would be happy. D wins championships, so get the PK right.

If D wins championships why did St. Louis get swept in the second round last year? and if offense wins same goes with philly getting beaten by NJ. Fact is neither one nor the other wins championships, you need a good balance of solid goaltending, decent defense, and good scoring to win, which LA had in the playoffs last year

If D wins championships why did St. Louis get swept in the second round last year? and if offense wins same goes with philly getting beaten by NJ. Fact is neither one nor the other wins championships, you need a good balance of solid goaltending, decent defense, and good scoring to win, which LA had in the playoffs last year

Ya because NJD and the LAK allowed tons of goals....... 2 of the best defensive clubs. If you can ONLY be good at one, D is better than O. The best are good at both. But we are not the best anymore.

Ya because NJD and the LAK allowed tons of goals....... 2 of the best defensive clubs. If you can ONLY be good at one, D is better than O. The best are good at both. But we are not the best anymore.

that is laughable, their D was good but not great at all. Aside from their top pairing they didn't have much D, they had goalies standing on their heads throughout the playoffs, Brodeur, at 40 was better than most of the goalies in the league still and Quick had a phenominal run all year. Quick had a 1.41 GAA and a .946 sv% in the playoffs, Brodeur had 2 GAA and a .924 sv% going into the finals, no one can argue how well the goalies played throughout the playoffs, Quick won the Conn Smythe

Doughty-Mitchell

Scuderi-Greene

Voynov-Martinez

Drewiske

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Salvador

Greene-Fayne

Larsson

2 of the best defensive clubs? Did your mother shake you when you were a baby?

Guest irishock

Not going to look too much into a playoffs where the finals was an 8 seed against a 6 seed. Most fluke-ish playoff season ever. Pittsburgh would've won the title easily had they not faced their worst match-up possible in the Flyers.

Edited by irishock

that is laughable, their D was good but not great at all. Aside from their top pairing they didn't have much D, they had goalies standing on their heads throughout the playoffs, Brodeur, at 40 was better than most of the goalies in the league still and Quick had a phenominal run all year. Quick had a 1.41 GAA and a .946 sv% in the playoffs, Brodeur had 2 GAA and a .924 sv% going into the finals, no one can argue how well the goalies played throughout the playoffs, Quick won the Conn Smythe

So goalies are now not part of the D? Interesting.....

Doughty-Mitchell

Scuderi-Greene

Voynov-Martinez

Drewiske

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Salvador

Greene-Fayne

Larsson

2 of the best defensive clubs? Did your mother shake you when you were a baby?

These 2 groups are better than ours. A Lot better.