• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

He also has a wind up that takes a half hour.  

That's funny as hell and at the same time sadly accurate.  If his shot was as quick as your wit, our PP would be half way home.

#42 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

That's funny as hell and at the same time sadly accurate.  If his shot was as quick as your wit, our PP would be half way home.

Either way, get him out there.

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

The PP is obviously horrible, and I have no idea why except that they keep thinking that they can generate all the offense from the point. 

The PK has looked really good the last two games though, so maybe we're over the hump on that one. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

The other thing to keep in mind is, our lack of quality depth. When we were at our best we rolled 4 quality lines and had 3 good/great D pairs. Our stars played less 5 on 5 hockey and thus were fresh to help on the PK and PP. That isn't the case anymore either. Right now, if we can just get one going good, I would be happy. D wins championships, so get the PK right.

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

The other thing to keep in mind is, our lack of quality depth. When we were at our best we rolled 4 quality lines and had 3 good/great D pairs. Our stars played less 5 on 5 hockey and thus were fresh to help on the PK and PP. That isn't the case anymore either. Right now, if we can just get one going good, I would be happy. D wins championships, so get the PK right.

If D wins championships why did St. Louis get swept in the second round last year? and if offense wins same goes with philly getting beaten by NJ. Fact is neither one nor the other wins championships, you need a good balance of solid goaltending, decent defense, and good scoring to win, which LA had in the playoffs last year

#46 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

If D wins championships why did St. Louis get swept in the second round last year? and if offense wins same goes with philly getting beaten by NJ. Fact is neither one nor the other wins championships, you need a good balance of solid goaltending, decent defense, and good scoring to win, which LA had in the playoffs last year

Ya because NJD and the LAK allowed tons of goals....... 2 of the best defensive clubs. If you can ONLY be good at one, D is better than O. The best are good at both. But we are not the best anymore.

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Ya because NJD and the LAK allowed tons of goals....... 2 of the best defensive clubs. If you can ONLY be good at one, D is better than O. The best are good at both. But we are not the best anymore.

that is laughable, their D was good but not great at all. Aside from their top pairing they didn't have much D, they had goalies standing on their heads throughout the playoffs, Brodeur, at 40 was better than most of the goalies in the league still and Quick had a phenominal run all year. Quick had a 1.41 GAA and a .946 sv% in the playoffs, Brodeur had 2 GAA and a .924 sv% going into the finals, no one can argue how well the goalies played throughout the playoffs, Quick won the Conn Smythe 

#48 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Doughty-Mitchell

Scuderi-Greene

Voynov-Martinez

Drewiske

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Salvador

Greene-Fayne

Larsson

2 of the best defensive clubs? Did your mother shake you when you were a baby?

#49 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Not going to look too much into a playoffs where the finals was an 8 seed against a 6 seed. Most fluke-ish playoff season ever. Pittsburgh would've won the title easily had they not faced their worst match-up possible in the Flyers.

Edited by irishock, 28 January 2013 - 02:42 PM.

bringit.jpg

#50 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

that is laughable, their D was good but not great at all. Aside from their top pairing they didn't have much D, they had goalies standing on their heads throughout the playoffs, Brodeur, at 40 was better than most of the goalies in the league still and Quick had a phenominal run all year. Quick had a 1.41 GAA and a .946 sv% in the playoffs, Brodeur had 2 GAA and a .924 sv% going into the finals, no one can argue how well the goalies played throughout the playoffs, Quick won the Conn Smythe 

So goalies are now not part of the D? Interesting.....

Doughty-Mitchell

Scuderi-Greene

Voynov-Martinez

Drewiske

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Salvador

Greene-Fayne

Larsson

These 2 groups are better than ours. A Lot better.

#51 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I don't think Brunner at the point is the answer.  Yes he has a good point shot, but he is too valueable from the circles on in.  And we don't need the defensive liability that goes along with him being there.  Hell, he's valuable just hiding out next to the net on the goal line cherry picking.

Yes, it was a different look, something to try, but I hope we move away from it.  Between Kronner, Smith, Ericsson, and Quincey, any of those guys should be good enough while White is out.

I'm thinking this has morphed into a ST's thread, not just a PK thread... :hockey:

#52 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Uhhhhhh not sure what ur getting at cause I didn't say anything about our team. You claimed NJD and LA were the two best defensive squads, all I did was point out that you couldn't be more wrong.

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Goalies are the last line of defense, but I've never heard of Lidstrom strapping the pads on, why because he is a defenseman, not a goalie. Two seperate groupings

#54 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Best way to solve a junk PK, block the shots or get the hell out of the way so Howard can see them. Done.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#55 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Uhhhhhh not sure what ur getting at cause I didn't say anything about our team. You claimed NJD and LA were the two best defensive squads, all I did was point out that you couldn't be more wrong.

Yes Defensive squads. That includes the G and is the most important part of the PK. Howard has been great. Not our issue. The problem lies in front of him.

#56 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Best way to solve a junk PK, block the shots or get the hell out of the way so Howard can see them. Done.

This.  So basic, so simple.

I don't think Brunner at the point is the answer.  Yes he has a good point shot, but he is too valueable from the circles on in.  And we don't need the defensive liability that goes along with him being there.  Hell, he's valuable just hiding out next to the net on the goal line cherry picking.

Yes, it was a different look, something to try, but I hope we move away from it.  Between Kronner, Smith, Ericsson, and Quincey, any of those guys should be good enough while White is out.

I'm thinking this has morphed into a ST's thread, not just a PK thread... :hockey:

Why exactly is he at the point.  With his skill set as a pure goal scorer and his moves, wouldn't we want him more mobile instead of static at the point?

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

This.  So basic, so simple.

Why exactly is he at the point.  With his skill set as a pure goal scorer and his moves, wouldn't we want him more mobile instead of static at the point?

And that's the way a PK should be.  the PP must be elaborate to elude a good aggressive simple PK, but the PK itself gets terrible for the Wings when they scramble and try to force too much.  Tootoo should be on the PK with Helm when he gets back and then Filppula, Dats, Z and Abdelkader should rotate the other PK line throwing in Eaves and Miller when the top guys have been out too much.  Oh, and i can't stress this point enough....lose Quincey.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#58 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Doughty-Mitchell

Scuderi-Greene

Voynov-Martinez

Drewiske

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Salvador

Greene-Fayne

Larsson

First, you can make your point without the insult. 

Second, the LA defense was great at the end of the season and playoffs.   Mitchell was their best D-man.  Doughty was back on form and working hard under Suter. Greene was a solid physical stay at home guy.  Voynov was playing like a seasoned vet and not a rookie. Martinez a serviceable #6 guy who brings great speed. 

I don't know about best but it's not ridiculous to think they're one of the better defensive corps.  Big, physical, with a great mix of speed and skill.

#59 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Doughty-Mitchell

Scuderi-Greene

Voynov-Martinez

Drewiske

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Salvador

Greene-Fayne

Larsson

Just for reference, NJD was #1 in PK last year and the LAK were #4. That is good defense. in todays game, with all of the penalties called, the PK is even more important than ever.

#60 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

First, you can make your point without the insult. 

Second, the LA defense was great at the end of the season and playoffs.   Mitchell was their best D-man.  Doughty was back on form and working hard under Suter. Greene was a solid physical stay at home guy.  Voynov was playing like a seasoned vet and not a rookie. Martinez a serviceable #6 guy who brings great speed. 

I don't know about best but it's not ridiculous to think they're one of the better defensive corps.  Big, physical, with a great mix of speed and skill.

Doughty is the clear Top2 D-man there, but Mitchell, Voynov, and Greene are all Top4, sometimes Top6 caliber players. They do have a good mix of physicality, skill, speed ect. though.

Yes Defensive squads. That includes the G and is the most important part of the PK. Howard has been great. Not our issue. The problem lies in front of him.

Okkkkk That's great. I agree with you there. But again, I wasn't talking about Howard or our D.....was talking about NJD and LA. Following me?