• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I really miss Stuart... He was an awesome Red Wing! Solid defender and the only other one on our team that threw these kind of hits.

#42 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Intimidation - pure, and simple.

Will Stuart go looking for another big hit now that he knows the other team will retaliate?

That's the point I wanted to make and you said it better than I did.

Intimidation.  Plain and simple.  Stuart will think twice about hitting Landeskog or any other Avalanche top player again.  That's exactly what the Avs and their fans would want.  

This is because Kocur wasnt on Stevie's line. I saw Perry go after a guy right away after one of his linemates got hit. I love that guy. He is like old school Shanny.

Perry is a ***** who can't fight.  How do you compare him to Shanny, who had around 100+ fights from what I remember?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#43 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Perry is a spot picking d.o.u.c.h.e who couldn't even beat up Datsyuk.  Shanny laughs at these ridiculous remarks.

esteef

Edited by esteef, 27 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#44 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

That's the point I wanted to make and you said it better than I did.

Intimidation.  Plain and simple.  Stuart will think twice about
hitting Landeskog or any other Avalanche top player again.  That's
exactly what the Avs and their fans would want.  

Disagree there. Stuart will look to hit again if he knows he'll draw a 2 to 4 minute powerplay. With the instigation penalty there isn't player in the league that wouldn't take a few punches to put there team on the powerplay(Ok maybe there might be a few :lol: ), especially when the adrenaline gets going after a big hit.

Back in the day when there wasn't the instigator I'd agree, you would be taking punches for nothing, but now you get a powerplay if I guy comes across the ice to fight you. Kinda why I think fighting has lost it's meaning. I don't think that intimidation is there anymore, players aren't scared that a Colton Orr is going to come across after a big hit, and if he does your team gets a powerplay so it's a win-win.

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

This is because Kocur wasnt on Stevie's line. I saw Perry go after a guy right away after one of his linemates got hit. I love that guy. He is like old school Shanny.

No kidding, but Probert was.  And Gallant would go with anyone too if he thought there was a reason.  As would almost any of the d-men on the ice.  

And as others mentioned, Perry is a spotpicker. To compare him to Shanny is a stretch to put it mildly, especially when going after a guy because he hit your teammate isn't old school.

I prefer the days when hockey players weren't such babies that they could take a hard hit without 3 of their teammates jumping the guy who did it.  Instead they'd get up, shake off the cobwebs and get the guys number.  And these fights after clean hits  they rarely give the guy a chance to square up before they start throwing haymakers.

Hard hits are part of the game.  Jumping a guy because your teammate got caught with his head down should get a 10 minute misconduct tacked on.  Then if guys don't like the hit or it's borderline dirty, they can lay on  a beating but it's probably gonna cost them.   But it would at least eliminate the garbage after perfectly good hits.

Like I said, these muggings that go on after hits do more to take hitting out of the game than anything Bettman does.  

#46 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

No kidding, but Probert was.  And Gallant would go with anyone too if he thought there was a reason.  As would almost any of the d-men on the ice.  

I prefer the days when hockey players weren't such babies that they could take a hard hit without 3 of their teammates jumping the guy who did it.  Instead they'd get up, shake off the cobwebs and get the guys number.  And these fights after clean hits  they rarely give the guy a chance to square up before they start throwing haymakers.

Hard hits are part of the game.  Jumping a guy because your teammate got caught with his head down should get a 10 minute misconduct tacked on.  Then if guys don't like the hit or it's borderline dirty, they can lay on  a beating but it's probably gonna cost them.   But it would at least eliminate the garbage after perfectly good hits.

Like I said, these muggings that go on after hits do more to take hitting out of the game than anything Bettman does.  

If an instigator is called, there is a 10 min misconduct.

I don't like how the instigator is being called this season. They are calling it when you go out of position to start a fight, whether or not the other person is willing. IMO the intigator should only apply when a player is forced to fight.

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

If an instigator is called, there is a 10 min misconduct.

I don't like how the instigator is being called this season. They are calling it when you go out of position to start a fight, whether or not the other person is willing. IMO the intigator should only apply when a player is forced to fight.

Ah, just saw that O'Byrne did get the 10  minutes.   It seems to me like they so rarely call the instigator in these situations though. 

So I think the refs got that one right.  :D

And I do agree about how they're using the instigator and ten minute misconduct so far this season to stop fights from willing participants before they even begin.