• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Helm: "Minor Setback", still out indefinitely, *merged*

Rate this topic

In case anyone missed it (the news is a page or so back)...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/03/red_wings_darren_helm_has_mino.html

Just when Detroit Red Wings center Darren Helm appeared on the verge of returning to action, he experienced what he called “a minor'' setback on Monday.\

Helm left the ice after 10 minutes during an optional practice due to the ailing back (slightly torn disc) that forced him to miss all but one game this season.

He will stay off the ice until he feels better and won't play Wednesday against the Minnesota Wild at Joe Louis Arena.

Am I in the wrong in being annoyed with Darren Helm in this situation? (I think I am)

Does he not know his limits? Is he himself the reason for the setback because he pushed himself too hard? Sit until it doesn't hurt....

Stop trying to be Superman.

He wasn't trying to be Superman. He took it very easily up until that point. When he was skating before and after and then finally with the team during practice he said he was gradually increasing his workload. He did that all the way up until he felt like there was no more practice could do, but he was still unsure how it was going to be during an actual game because it's two completely different situations. He tried pushing it full-force to simulate a game and that's when it acted up. It's good he sat out and tried pushing it before a game rather than during a game. Not only could he have gotten injured worse in a game, he also would've ate up a roster spot that night that could've been used for the full 60 instead of the first 10.

We all know it's frustrating but Helmer's just as frustrated as anyone of us, you can read it within his quotes. The boy loves this sport and he gives it his all every shift, i'm sure he isn't trying to sabotage getting back into it in any way or shape. He wants to be out there, but he wants to be sure he can play continuous games in a row.

Am I in the wrong in being annoyed with Darren Helm in this situation? (I think I am)

Does he not know his limits? Is he himself the reason for the setback because he pushed himself too hard? Sit until it doesn't hurt....

Stop trying to be Superman.

1. My gut says this isn't a genuine setback, Holland just had him on an unrealistic time table, which has now been adjusted to reflect reality. (Am I the only one who felt Helm's "comeback" seemed to come almost out of nowhere? Like, after having been "We just don't know" for 90 years, suddenly it was "Roundabout 10 days.")

2. Back pain is hell.

3. Even if he has done something to aggravate his condition, I can't say I really blame him. I mean, look at how frustrated we get with this team. Now, imagine being Helm, the team's spark plug, arguably the heart and soul of this team, a guy who can make (and, alas, arguably is making) a huge difference - our *big trade deadline acquisition* (as stupid as that is).

Edited by Dabura

1. My gut says this isn't a genuine setback, Holland just had him on an unrealistic time table, which has now been adjusted to reflect reality. (Am I the only one who felt Helm's "comeback" seemed to come almost out of nowhere? Like, after having been "We just don't know" for 90 years, suddenly it was "Roundabout 10 days.")

2. Back pain is hell.

3. Even if he has done something to aggravate his condition, I can't say I really blame him. I mean, look at how frustrated we get with this team. Now, imagine being Helm, the team's spark plug, arguably the heart and soul of this team, a guy who can make (and, alas, arguably is making) a huge difference - our *big trade deadline acquisition* (as stupid as that is).

So you think Holland made up a time table for Helm's return and not a doctor? Also, I thought back in January it was noted he'd be back in 6-8 weeks. Certainly isn't "out of nowhere."

Speaking of speed, I got a speeding ticket that day. I was driving home from work as fast as I could to watch the game. I was getting text messages about the game and couldn't wait to get home. After I got the text Helm made it 2-0, I was pulled over and got the ticket. :innocent:

So you think Holland made up a time table for Helm's return and not a doctor? Also, I thought back in January it was noted he'd be back in 6-8 weeks. Certainly isn't "out of nowhere."

I think it's possible Holland was a little overly optimistic with the media.

Re: "out of nowhere" - it just felt like nothing was going, nothing was giving...then things seemed to come together very nicely. Which is, I guess, what you might expect. Just a gut feeling. Unfounded/misinformed? Possible.

The fact is, even if Helm and Bert come back, it would be at least in 2 weeks... And there will be like 7-8 games left? Not enough to get timing back, to get back in shape, especially considering they haven't even started to skate yet!

I am sorry to say this team will need a few trades to get going into the playoffs, but who will be sacrificed???