• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Toggers

OHL vs. College Hockey Quality?

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

Ouch, that is rough. NCAA (by my count) only had 9 draftees last year. CHL had...I'm not even counting that. Like over 100 lol.

The NHL drafts 18 yr olds, most kids don't start college until they're 19. Both of the players on the Wings roster that played in the NCAA were drafted by the Wings before they went to college. A lot of the players drafted last yr that weren't in college are now or will be.

Canadian jr.leagues do provide the NHL with more talent but they are a lot younger than the players in the NCAA. Again players playing in jrs are 16-20 yrs old, players playing college are 19-25. .An 18 yr old isn't as good as he will be when he is 21.

There is about the same amount of scoring in NCAA hockey as their is major jr. but players that switch from college to jr. have a much easier time scoring in jr. because the competition isn't as good because they are much younger in jr. Jr. players are 16-20 yrs old. College players are 19-25. Matt Gilroy was 25 when he won the Hobey a few yrs ago.

Canadians love hockey and we broadcast it much better, May be part of the reason jr. is more fun to watch than college. Canadian broadcasts of NHL games are usually much more entertaining than American broadcasts.

Say's who? Do you have any stats to support that?

age is a factor but the OHL has the better talent, IMO

Guest Johnz96

Say's who? Do you have any stats to support that?

age is a factor but the OHL has the better talent, IMO

Mike Comrie scored 59 points in 40 games for U-M in 99-00 and then scored 79 points in 37 games for the Kootenay Ice the following season. I watched a Kootenay game that yr and he was interviewed in the intermission and he commented how much easier it was playing against younger players.

Matt Foy scored 24 points in 31 games for Merrimack in 01-02 and then scored 132 points in 68 games for the Pttawa 67s the following season

Duncan Keith scored 9 points in 15 games for MSU in 02-03 and switched to jr mid-season and scored 46 points in 37 games for the Kelowna Rockets

Charlie Coyle scored 14 points in 16 games for BU last year before moving on to jr. mid-season and scored 38 points in 23 games for Saint John Sea Dogs.

There have been a few more examples in each case they scored a lot more in jr than they did in college (even though they average a similar amount of goals in major jr. hockey and NCAA hockey leagues) because the competition is a lot weaker in jr. because they are much younger.

Guest Johnz96

Well Major Jr teams play a lot more games than any NCAA D-! college team/league. FACT.

You're not very good at math are ya?

Obviously they play a lot more games in jr. but these players PPG (points per game) . increases by a lot when the switch from college to jr. In fact, for all the players I have mentioned except Comrie the PPG more

than doubled when they moved to jr. and Comrie scored a lot more points with fewer games with Kootenay

Edited by Johnz96

I also find that Johnz96 is in the minority on this forum anyways on how the NCAA D-I hockey is so much better than the CHL.

Not saying you're opinion doesn't matter :P

You're not very good at math are ya?

Obviously they play a lot more games in jr. but these players PPG (points per game) increases by a lot when the switch from college to jr

No s***? Maybe it's cause they are playing more games?

You crack me up tbh hahah

Guest Johnz96

I also find that Johnz96 is in the minority on this forum anyways on how the NCAA D-I hockey is so much better than the CHL.

Not saying you're opinion doesn't matter :P

No s***? Maybe it's cause they are playing more games?

You crack me up tbh hahah

You crack me up. Their points per game increase because they play more games???

Edited by Johnz96

Mike Comrie scored 59 points in 40 games for U-M in 99-00 and then scored 79 points in 37 games for the Kootenay Ice the following season. I watched a Kootenay game that yr and he was interviewed in the intermission and he commented how much easier it was playing against younger players.

Matt Foy scored 24 points in 31 games for Merrimack in 01-02 and then scored 132 points in 68 games for the Pttawa 67s the following season

Duncan Keith scored 9 points in 15 games for MSU in 02-03 and switched to jr mid-season and scored 46 points in 37 games for the Kelowna Rockets

Charlie Coyle scored 14 points in 16 games for BU last year before moving on to jr. mid-season and scored 38 points in 23 games for Saint John Sea Dogs.

There have been a few more examples in each case they scored a lot more in jr than they did in college (even though they average a similar amount of goals in major jr. hockey and NCAA hockey leagues) because the competition is a lot weaker in jr. because they are much younger.

Ok you named 3 players. That proves nothing. Look at Jeff Skinner, He was 18 in the NHL. Came out of the CHL. Being older after moving to the Juniors tends to make a difference

Oh s*** did Gretzky come out of OHL? Was Mario Lemieux from the Q?

Don't answer that lol

The NCAA like some people have said is better than what it has been. Last 10 years IMO.

However the no touch icing call and no fighting rule. BLOW. Along with let's make everyone wear cages or shields in the NCAA. Yay.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Ouch, that is rough. NCAA (by my count) only had 9 draftees last year. CHL had...I'm not even counting that. Like over 100 lol.

you are only couting the NCAA though...of all the players taken, Like the CHL had 112 sure, but the USA Leagues had 57 drafted, yes only 9 of which were NCAA, which means our U18 player developement is getting better and better and is really, not that far behind the CHL teens... In the end it's not about quantity, but quality and you can draft 120 CHL players where 40 may get some NHL time, but of those 57 USA program kids, you may get 25 with some NHL time, because they only take the best of the best from our leagues and more from the CHL, yes because the CHL is deeper so there is more to choose from...I am not saying either is greater than the other, I am just proud (being a part of USA Hockey myself as a coach) that USA Hockey is developing better and better each year, and it won't be long until USA Hockey has it's own #1 overall.....oh wait. LOL!

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Johnz96

Ok you named 3 players. That proves nothing. Look at Jeff Skinner, He was 18 in the NHL. Came out of the CHL. Being older after moving to the Juniors tends to make a difference

I named 4. There are a few more. All 4 of those players didn't just increase scoring but increased it by a lot. Skinner's got nothing to do with it, neither does Crosby, Fact is any time a player goes from D-! to major jr, they have a much easier time scoring because the competition is so much weaker because they are younger.

I will remind you about this the next time a player goes to the CHL from the NCAA and I guarantee you and will bet you anything that his production per game will increase by at least 50%.

You will probably have forgotten by then, I won't

It's funny you keep avoiding the no touch icing call and no fighting in the NCAA. Yet with the stats you show OMG WITH GOING FROM COLLEGE TO THE MAJOR JUNIORS THE SCORING INCREASES. It doesn't matter whatever Major Junior team it is they play more games. The competition is weaker. Ok. I'll go along with you on that.

Any case against the Great One or Mario compared to any NCAA player? Oh wait don't answer that.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

I named 4. There are a few more. All 4 of those players didn't just increase scoring but increased it by a lot. Skinner's got nothing to do with it, neither does Crosby, Fact is any time a player goes from D-! to major jr, they have a much easier time scoring because the competition is so much weaker because they are younger.

I will remind you about this the next time a player goes to the CHL from the NCAA and I guarantee you and will bet you anything that his production per game will increase by at least 50%.

You will probably have forgotten by then, I won't

Again scoring more has nothing to do with how good the hockey is.

Guest Johnz96

you are only couting the NCAA though...of all the players taken, Like the CHL had 112 sure, but the USA Leagues had 57 drafted, yes only 9 of which were NCAA, which means our U18 player developement is getting better and better and is really, not that far behind the CHL teens... In the end it's not about quantity, but quality and you can draft 120 CHL players where 40 may get some NHL time, but of those 57 USA program kids, you may get 25 with some NHL time, because they only take the best of the best from our leagues and more from the CHL, yes because the CHL is deeper so there is more to choose from...I am not saying either is greater than the other, I am just proud (being apart of USA Hockey myself as a coach) that USA Hockey is developing better and better each year, and it won't be long until USA Hockey hsa it's own #1 overall.....oh wait. LOL!

Most of those players drafted out of USA leagues will end up playing in the NCAA (like Mike McKhee) even some kids drafted playing in Canadian leagues but not the CHL will end up playing in the NCAA like Brendan Smith who was drafted when he played for the Toronto St. Michael's but went on to play for Wisconsin for 3 years before beginning his professional career.

I'm sure "hopefully" more people on this website can name more CHL players that have won something compared to any NCAA players. But yet again D-I hockey is better than the CHL? LOLOL.

Honestly not within the last ten years the only 2 good NCAA players I can think of are Ed Belfour and Chris Chelios.

Guest Johnz96

Again scoring more has nothing to do with how good the hockey is.

They score a LOT more because the competition is weaker, because they are much younger.

What you said would make since if there was a lot GPG (goals per game) in the CHL but there isn't.

Yeah I noticed all the USA HS and others, sure. Its good to see, but the numbers are still lower than they should be. I think part of the problem is that NCAA doesn't co-operate with the NHL like the CHL does: the system where they have tryouts and the 9 game stints before being sent back down. Yes yes its all about academics, but every major university has online programs, for example. They could make it work if they wanted to, and then the NCAA would be a true rival to the CHL.

you are only couting the NCAA though...of all the players taken, Like the CHL had 112 sure, but the USA Leagues had 57 drafted, yes only 9 of which were NCAA, which means our U18 player developement is getting better and better and is really, not that far behind the CHL teens... In the end it's not about quantity, but quality and you can draft 120 CHL players where 40 may get some NHL time, but of those 57 USA program kids, you may get 25 with some NHL time, because they only take the best of the best from our leagues and more from the CHL, yes because the CHL is deeper so there is more to choose from...I am not saying either is greater than the other, I am just proud (being apart of USA Hockey myself as a coach) that USA Hockey is developing better and better each year, and it won't be long until USA Hockey hsa it's own #1 overall.....oh wait. LOL!

They score a LOT more because the competition is weaker, because they are much younger.

What you said would make since if there was a lot GPG (goals per game) in the CHL but there isn't.

Yours would make sense, but your assuming they score more because the competition is weaker, and your assuming the competition is weaker because they're younger. Totally different games, and CHL is way more similar to pro hockey

Guest Johnz96

It's funny you keep avoiding the no touch icing call and no fighting in the NCAA. Yet with the stats you show OMG WITH GOING FROM COLLEGE TO THE MAJOR JUNIORS THE SCORING INCREASES. It doesn't matter whatever Major Junior team it is they play more games. The competition is weaker. Ok. I'll go along with you on that.

Any case against the Great One or Mario compared to any NCAA player? Oh wait don't answer that.

The CHL provides more talent for the NHL but they are not as far along in their development (as hockey players or people for that matter) as college players because they are so much younger.

The CHL provides more talent for the NHL but they are not as far along in their development (as hockey players or people for that matter) as college players because they are so much younger.

I would argue a lot of those younger CHL'ers are farther along in their development than most older NCAA players despite the fact that they are younger

Guest Johnz96

Yours would make sense, but your assuming they score more because the competition is weaker, and your assuming the competition is weaker because they're younger. Totally different games, and CHL is way more similar to pro hockey

The CHL and D-1 hockey score about the same amount of GPG (goals per game). !7 yr old jr players are going to be bigger faster, stronger, smarter and much better hockey players when they are 21. 21 yr old NCAA players are bigger, faster stronger smarter and much better hockey players than they were when they were 17.