• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Where did you get that list at LeftWinger?

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 29 January 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#22 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

I was gonna write a CHL list, but it's just every other north american born player plus a few europeans that have played in the nhl the last 40 years or so.

#23 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

All opinions aside... props to the OP for creating a new thread as a new member that isn't a recycled version of 10 other active threads. I enjoyed reading through this, league perspectives like this aren't normally a point of discussion around here. I'm reasonably ignorant to hockey leagues outside of the NHL so I don't have much to contribute but I wanted to compliment the OP and got a little more educated in the process. 

Edited by BlazeYoungblood, 29 January 2013 - 05:50 AM.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Where did you get that list at LeftWinger?

NHL.COM just went through each draft year from 1979 and sorted by "Amateur League"

http://www.nhl.com/i...m=All&year=2012

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#25 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

You're opinion is wrong lol
Scoring more has absolutely nothing to do with how good the hockey is.

I rarely ever make it to NHL games and watch mostly CCHA and OHL games. OHL > NCAA every day of the week. College hockey has indeed gotten better, but is no way better than the CHL. Trying watching a game.

NO HOCKEY FOR YOU, 5 YEAR

There is about the same amount of scoring in NCAA hockey as their is major jr. but players that switch from college to jr. have a much easier time scoring in jr. because the competition isn't as good because they are much younger in jr. Jr. players are 16-20 yrs old. College players are 19-25. Matt Gilroy was 25 when he won the Hobey a few yrs ago.

Canadians love hockey and we broadcast it much better, May be part of the reason jr. is more fun to watch than college. Canadian broadcasts of  NHL games are usually much more entertaining than  American broadcasts.

Edited by Johnz96, 29 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

NHL.COM just went through each draft year from 1979 and sorted by "Amateur League"

http://www.nhl.com/i...m=All&year=2012

Ouch, that is rough. NCAA (by my count) only had 9 draftees last year. CHL had...I'm not even counting that. Like over 100 lol. 

#27 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Ouch, that is rough. NCAA (by my count) only had 9 draftees last year. CHL had...I'm not even counting that. Like over 100 lol. 

The NHL drafts 18 yr olds, most kids don't start college until they're 19. Both of the players on the Wings roster that played in the NCAA were drafted by the Wings before they went to college. A lot of the players drafted last yr that weren't in college are now or will be.
Canadian jr.leagues do provide the NHL with more talent but they are a lot younger than the players in the NCAA. Again players playing in jrs are 16-20 yrs old, players playing college are 19-25. .An 18 yr old isn't as good as he will be when he is 21.

#28 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

There is about the same amount of scoring in NCAA hockey as their is major jr. but players that switch from college to jr. have a much easier time scoring in jr. because the competition isn't as good because they are much younger in jr. Jr. players are 16-20 yrs old. College players are 19-25. Matt Gilroy was 25 when he won the Hobey a few yrs ago.

Canadians love hockey and we broadcast it much better, May be part of the reason jr. is more fun to watch than college. Canadian broadcasts of  NHL games are usually much more entertaining than  American broadcasts.

Say's who? Do you have any stats to support that?

age is a factor but the OHL has the better talent, IMO

#29 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Say's who? Do you have any stats to support that?

age is a factor but the OHL has the better talent, IMO

Mike Comrie scored 59 points in 40 games for U-M in 99-00 and then scored 79 points in 37 games for the Kootenay Ice the following season. I watched a Kootenay game that yr and he was interviewed in the intermission and he commented how much easier it was playing against younger players.

Matt Foy scored 24 points in 31 games for Merrimack in 01-02 and then scored 132 points in 68 games for the Pttawa 67s the following season

Duncan Keith scored 9 points in 15 games for MSU in 02-03 and switched to jr mid-season and scored 46 points in 37 games for the Kelowna Rockets

Charlie Coyle scored 14 points in 16 games for BU last year before moving on to jr. mid-season and scored 38 points in 23 games for Saint John Sea Dogs.

There have been a few more examples in each case they scored a lot more in jr than they did in college (even though they average a similar amount of goals in major jr. hockey and NCAA hockey leagues) because the competition is a lot weaker in jr. because they are much younger.

#30 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Well Major Jr teams play a lot more games than any NCAA D-I college team/league. FACT.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 29 January 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

38 games on average not counting the playoffs for the conference or the final tournament for any NCAA team.

Major Junior I'm guessing is almost a 70 game season. Not counting playoffs or the Memorial Cup.

#32 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Well Major Jr teams play a lot more games than any NCAA D-! college team/league. FACT.

You're not very good at math are ya?

Obviously they play a lot more games in jr. but these players PPG (points per game) . increases by a lot when the switch from college to jr. In fact, for all the players I have mentioned except Comrie the PPG more
than doubled when they moved to jr. and Comrie scored a lot more points with fewer games with Kootenay

Edited by Johnz96, 29 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#33 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

I also find that Johnz96 is in the minority on this forum anyways on how the NCAA D-I hockey is so much better than the CHL.

Not saying you're opinion doesn't matter :P

You're not very good at math are ya?

Obviously they play a lot more games in jr. but these players PPG (points per game) increases by a lot when the switch from college to jr

No s***? Maybe it's cause they are playing more games?

You crack me up tbh hahah

#34 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

I also find that Johnz96 is in the minority on this forum anyways on how the NCAA D-I hockey is so much better than the CHL.

Not saying you're opinion doesn't matter :P

No s***? Maybe it's cause they are playing more games?

You crack me up tbh hahah

You crack me up. Their points per game increase because they play more games???

Edited by Johnz96, 29 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#35 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yeah whatever dude I highly doubt you watch any Major Junior action let alone any D-I hockey.

Seey ya :D

#36 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Mike Comrie scored 59 points in 40 games for U-M in 99-00 and then scored 79 points in 37 games for the Kootenay Ice the following season. I watched a Kootenay game that yr and he was interviewed in the intermission and he commented how much easier it was playing against younger players.

Matt Foy scored 24 points in 31 games for Merrimack in 01-02 and then scored 132 points in 68 games for the Pttawa 67s the following season

Duncan Keith scored 9 points in 15 games for MSU in 02-03 and switched to jr mid-season and scored 46 points in 37 games for the Kelowna Rockets

Charlie Coyle scored 14 points in 16 games for BU last year before moving on to jr. mid-season and scored 38 points in 23 games for Saint John Sea Dogs.

There have been a few more examples in each case they scored a lot more in jr than they did in college (even though they average a similar amount of goals in major jr. hockey and NCAA hockey leagues) because the competition is a lot weaker in jr. because they are much younger.

Ok you named 3 players. That proves nothing. Look at Jeff Skinner, He was 18 in the NHL. Came out of the CHL. Being older after moving to the Juniors tends to make a difference

#37 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Oh s*** did Gretzky come out of OHL? Was Mario Lemieux from the Q?

Don't answer that lol

The NCAA like some people have said is better than what it has been. Last 10 years IMO.

However the no touch icing call and no fighting rule. BLOW. Along with let's make everyone wear cages or shields in the NCAA. Yay.  

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 29 January 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

you are only couting the NCAA though...of all the players taken, Like the CHL had 112 sure, but the USA Leagues had 57 drafted, yes only 9 of which were NCAA, which means our U18 player developement is getting better and better and is really, not that far behind the CHL teens... In the end it's not about quantity, but quality and you can draft 120 CHL players where 40 may get some NHL time, but of those 57 USA program kids, you may get 25 with some NHL time,  because they only take the best of the best from our leagues and more from the CHL, yes because the CHL is deeper so there is more to choose from...I am not saying either is greater than the other, I am just proud (being a part  of USA Hockey myself as a coach) that USA Hockey is developing better and better each year, and it won't be long until USA Hockey has it's own #1 overall.....oh wait. LOL!

Edited by LeftWinger, 30 January 2013 - 06:40 AM.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#39 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

But D-I hockey is so much better than the CHL LOLOLOL.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 29 January 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#40 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Ok you named 3 players. That proves nothing. Look at Jeff Skinner, He was 18 in the NHL. Came out of the CHL. Being older after moving to the Juniors tends to make a difference

I named 4. There are a few more. All 4 of those players didn't just increase scoring but increased it by a lot. Skinner's got nothing to do with it, neither does Crosby, Fact is any time a player goes from D-! to major jr, they have a much easier time scoring because the competition is so much weaker because they are younger.

I will remind you about this the next time a player goes to the CHL from the NCAA and I guarantee you and will bet you anything that his production per game will increase by at least 50%.
You will probably have forgotten by then, I won't