• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Kindl needs to step up tonight. In my mind this is his final shot at being a regular. If he doesn't seize it (I hope he surprises us all) I say it's time to label him a bust and give the time to developing Lashoff or another young dman

#22 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I don't get it.  Lashoff is playing good and he gets sent down.  Quincey plays atrocious and gets to start every night. 

Yes but to play on the articles standpoint here (while I do not agree) Quincey is new to our team and our system (also being vastly overpaid) and they are giving him a chance to produce the way he did in Colorodo (which I never thought he was very impressive to begin with there) 

Lashoff is out tonight so they can try to get the power play going with more offensive defensemen, simple as that

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Kindl needs to step up tonight. In my mind this is his final shot at being a regular. If he doesn't seize it (I hope he surprises us all) I say it's time to label him a bust and give the time to developing Lashoff or another young dman

I agree in principle, but I disagree that tonight should be make or break.  You can't expect a guy to play well when he's up for a game, down for two or three, up one, down again.  What does every hockey player in the world say when they return from a summer off, or a long injury?  "It will take a while to get my timing back, and get into game shape".  Timing matters a ton in hockey, and so bringing a guy in, putting him with a new partner, and then letting him sit for a few games does nothing to help improve that timing.  Kindl needs to prove something this season, but I think it's only fair to give him about three games in a row to make sure that he's comfortable out there.  s***, if we can give Quincey 5 games, I don't think there's any reason not to give Kindl 3.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Fair point. I just am so ready for kindl to so somethjng productive instead of looking like a lost chicken on the ice. He needs to show he belongs at the NHL level

#25 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Turn him into a forward.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#26 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Fair point. I just am so ready for kindl to so somethjng productive instead of looking like a lost chicken on the ice. He needs to show he belongs at the NHL level

And that's going to take consistent ice time if Babcock will give it to him. Either way, it's going to be an interesting off season given how many UFAs/RFAs the Wings will have. Kindl might not be the only one facing a make or break year when it comes to staying in the Winged Wheel.

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I completely agree, and I don't mean to sound like I think the guy should be given a spot just because he's been around a while.  He needs to sink or swim, BUT I also think it's unfair to suggest (not that you did) the guy is sinking when he hasn't been given any kind of regular playing time, and when he does, he's typically utilized incorrectly.  Tonight he'll be paired with a shutdown guy, he should be able to play to his strengths (the transition game), and he'll get some time on the PP.  That's using his skill set properly.  If they do that for 3 or 4 games and he still doesn't look good, then I'd say it's fair to cut him loose. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I agree in principle, but I disagree that tonight should be make or break.  You can't expect a guy to play well when he's up for a game, down for two or three, up one, down again.  What does every hockey player in the world say when they return from a summer off, or a long injury?  "It will take a while to get my timing back, and get into game shape".  Timing matters a ton in hockey, and so bringing a guy in, putting him with a new partner, and then letting him sit for a few games does nothing to help improve that timing.  Kindl needs to prove something this season, but I think it's only fair to give him about three games in a row to make sure that he's comfortable out there.  s***, if we can give Quincey 5 games, I don't think there's any reason not to give Kindl 3.

I think it should be make or break.  

This isn't Kindl's first shot at the roster.  He played 55 games last season and 48 the season before that, and was a regular in the lineup for long stretches.  

While I agree they should give him a crack at several games in a row, if after that he still can't hold on to even a #6 spot as a 26 year old in his third season, when will he? 

EDIT:  Just saw you said TONIGHT was make or break.  Definitely agree he should get more than one game.  This season will be make or break, not just one game. 

#29 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I completely agree, and I don't mean to sound like I think the guy should be given a spot just because he's been around a while.  He needs to sink or swim, BUT I also think it's unfair to suggest (not that you did) the guy is sinking when he hasn't been given any kind of regular playing time, and when he does, he's typically utilized incorrectly.  Tonight he'll be paired with a shutdown guy, he should be able to play to his strengths (the transition game), and he'll get some time on the PP.  That's using his skill set properly.  If they do that for 3 or 4 games and he still doesn't look good, then I'd say it's fair to cut him loose. 

Definitely hear you there. Tough to give up on a guy who was your highest draft pick in a decade & still hasn't hit the age when most d-men in the league "get it" according to most experts.

In a way, what Kindl is going through is similar to Huds imo. Happy needed to be a top 6 forward to be effective, yet year after year the attitude seemed to be that he had to prove his worth on the bottom 6. To say that didn't fit his wheelhouse would be an understatement. Round peg meet square hole.

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Trade him as part of the Stamkos deal.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

He will most likely be traded by the deadline, especially if he doesn't prove he can hold even a #6 spot, with guys like Lashoff, Smith, Huskins, and even Quincey outplaying him (not so sure about Quincey :P) he won't be needed, let him get some ice time somewhere else and stop torturing  him here

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

He will most likely be traded by the deadline, especially if he doesn't prove he can hold even a #6 spot, with guys like Lashoff, Smith, Huskins, and even Quincey outplaying him (not so sure about Quincey :P) he won't be needed, let him get some ice time somewhere else and stop torturing  him here

:g:

Maybe the Flyers would take him.  They did wonders with Leino.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

“He’s a skilled guy on the back. He’s got to move the puck, he’s got to shoot the puck,''

I recall that when he played in Kitchener, he played with an "edge". Somewhere between then and now (whether it be his decision or someone else's) he's lost that part of his game.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Naw, Stevie will pick him up :P

#35 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'm actually excited they're giving Kindl a chance to really prove himself. Hope he steps up as a puck mover. To me it always just looked like someone needed to light a fire under his butt

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Whatever happened to the Tollefsen guy we traded Leino for?  I know there wasn't any place to put him when the trade took place, but seems like someone could have used him for depth.  Was he that bad?

Edited by kipwinger, 29 January 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#37 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Whatever happened to the Tollefsen guy we traded Leino for?  I know there wasn't any place to put him when the trade took place, but seems like someone could have used him for depth.  Was he that bad?

Didn't he decide to head back to Europe?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#38 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Didn't he decide to head back to Europe?

He did.  It's my understanding that the Wings took Tollefson as a way to keep the Flyers under the roster limit in order to pull off the deal.  Never really had any plans for him from what I remember.

Edit: And if I remember correctly, didn't he have a bunch of knee & concussion problems that season too?

Edited by ogreslayer, 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#39 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Maybe he could sell pizza's for Mr. I
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#40 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

A Euro who drops the gloves?  Holland was appalled at the idea.