Krons-Ericsson

Quincey-White

Lashoff-Kindl

I think the Wings D is actually a pretty good unit with:

Krons-Ericsson

Quincey-White

Lashoff-Kindl

Where's Smith?

Lashoff has been impressive for a rookie in his first few games but Smith is already playing a bigger role than both him and Kindl.

And Smith plays a similar role as Kindl, but is better at it and can handle more minutes.

Why does every single article or commentator who speculates on the wings defense suggest that what we need is another puck moving d-man? Visnovsky, Streit, Leopold? How are any of these guys an upgrade over White, Colaiacovo, Kronwall? They're the exact same players only 5 years older. It's like they think that a team full of guys who are essentially worse versions of Brian Rafalski can somehow learn to play actual defense through osmosis.

Edited by kipwinger

Kronwall-lashoff

Ericsson-Smith

Quincey-White

This.. Or any combination of this. But these are our 6 best d men. Maybe huskins in for Quincey if he can continue to play as good as he has been.

Edit: /if Quincey continues to play like garbage.

Edited by amato

This.. Or any combination of this. But these are our 6 best d men. Maybe huskins in for Quincey if he can continue to play as good as he has been.

Edit: /if Quincey continues to play like garbage.

I agree with your post, I think this is the best we can field right now, based on the personnel that we've already got. But I think it can be improved dramatically with the acquisition of one defensive defenseman who plays big minutes. For examples sake I'm going to say Robyn Regehr, but it doesn't have to be...

Kronwall-Regehr

Smith-Ericsson

White-Lashoff

Let the rest compete for the 7th spot, and keep the guy with the best 2-way defensive game as the replacement.

Edited by kipwinger

Our defense needs Huskins, he's our most reliable stay at home at this point. Numerous times has he been the only one back stopping dangerous plays from happening. He glues people to the boards and locks em out. Not including Smith? What the hell Axe? I know you got some off the wall ideas my man, but forgetting about Smith is just silly. I'm sorry, but when injuries aren't as bad on our blue line, Lashoff is going to have to go back to GR. He's the only one waiver exempt and we're not going to lose someone for free. Unless we get a package deal going before these next 2-3 weeks, I see him unfortunately being sent back down. Not because of his level of play, because I would love to keep him up, just because of the situation.

Kronner-White

Smith-Huskins

Rig-Carlo

Quincey rotating (although he's looked better the past 3 games)

beauty across the lines, white can cover for kronner. huskins on smith and carlo for rig. Bring back the offensive rig we know, and allow him to use that shot he does have (trust me, the dude can throw a 1T down range).

Edited by evilzyme

Our defense needs Huskins, he's our most reliable stay at home at this point. Numerous times has he been the only one back stopping dangerous plays from happening. He glues people to the boards and locks em out. Not including Smith? What the hell Axe? I know you got some off the wall ideas my man, but forgetting about Smith is just silly. I'm sorry, but when injuries aren't as bad on our blue line, Lashoff is going to have to go back to GR. He's the only one waiver exempt and we're not going to lose someone for free. Unless we get a package deal going before these next 2-3 weeks, I see him unfortunately being sent back down. Not because of his level of play, because I would love to keep him up, just because of the situation.

Kronner-White

Smith-Huskins

Rig-Carlo

Quincey rotating (although he's looked better the past 3 games)

beauty across the lines, white can cover for kronner. huskins on smith and carlo for rig. Bring back the offensive rig we know, and allow him to use that shot he does have (trust me, the dude can throw a 1T down range).

The problem is that White cannot cover for Kronner because White doesn't play particularly good defense, also, neither Kronner nor White are big enough to play against big powerful forwards...like the ones that Chicago, St. Louis, L.A., and San Jose have. Also, don't let Huskins' reliability fool you. If this guy was good enough to play top 4 in this league, against high quality forwards, he would have been signed by someone. Also, why would Colaiacovo cover for Ericsson, Colaiacovo is the better point producer, Ericsson has never produced points at the NHL level. Are we even watching the same team?

Edited by kipwinger

Why does every single article or commentator who speculates on the wings defense suggest that what we need is another puck moving d-man? Visnovsky, Streit, Leopold? How are any of these guys an upgrade over White, Colaiacovo, Kronwall? They're the exact same players only 5 years older. It's like they think that a team full of guys who are essentially worse versions of Brian Rafalski can somehow learn to play actual defense through osmosis.

Maybe it is because that is the traditional type of defenseman that Holland goes after? I agree with you however. None of those would be an upgrade. The Red Wings still need the steady physical stay at home defenseman that have been missing for a decade at least.

Maybe it is because that is the traditional type of defenseman that Holland goes after? I agree with you however. None of those would be an upgrade. The Red Wings still need the steady physical stay at home defenseman that have been missing for a decade at least.

well I agree with all of that except the last part. Brad Stuart was the epitome of steady, physical, stay at home defenseman. That we didn't replace his skill set is one of our bigger problems this season.

I agree with your post, I think this is the best we can field right now, based on the personnel that we've already got. But I think it can be improved dramatically with the acquisition of one defensive defenseman who plays big minutes. For examples sake I'm going to say Robyn Regehr, but it doesn't have to be...

Kronwall-Regehr

Smith-Ericsson

White-Lashoff

Let the rest compete for the 7th spot, and keep the guy with the best 2-way defensive game as the replacement.

Agreed. And I'm all for it as long as the price isn't too steep. According to the article it shouldn't be for most of them. I think I'd like to see Visnovski most but i don't know if we could fit his salary into our lineup.

Agreed. And I'm all for it as long as the price isn't too steep. According to the article it shouldn't be for most of them. I think I'd like to see Visnovski most but i don't know if we could fit his salary into our lineup.

Visnovski is definitely the best of the bunch, but we don't need what he brings to the table. He's essentially Kronwall without the hitting. Not particularly good defensively, but can score about 30-40 pts. a season. Again, a stay at home d-man that can play 20+ minutes a night is what we need for the top pair, then shift the rest of the personnel accordingly.

Pretty much the only thing available is puck movers. Regehr has an NTC, making the closest thing to a shut down w/o an NTC Lydman

Pretty much the only thing available is puck movers. Regehr has an NTC, making the closest thing to a shut down w/o an NTC Lydman

Guys with NTC's move all the time. Especially when they play for garbage teams like Buffalo, or if they aren't getting the ice time they want/deserve. I'm not saying it wouldn't make finding one a little harder, and I definitely see your point, but it's not impossible to find one.

Also, Regehr was just an example. Doesn't have to be him. Though given that it's a contract year for him, acquiring him is definitely in the realm of possibility.

Guys with NTC's move all the time. Especially when they play for garbage teams like Buffalo, or if they aren't getting the ice time they want/deserve. I'm not saying it wouldn't make finding one a little harder, and I definitely see your point, but it's not impossible to find one.

Also, Regehr was just an example. Doesn't have to be him. Though given that it's a contract year for him, acquiring him is definitely in the realm of possibility.

Very true. Wasn't Bouwmeester supposed to be on the trade block or something? He has multiple years left and an NTC I believe.

Very true. Wasn't Bouwmeester supposed to be on the trade block or something? He has multiple years left and an NTC I believe.

Yeah but his cap hit is 6.8 million...so no thanks. But someone with his type of skill set would be fine.