A Few D-Men That Could Become Available This Year

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

The issue is we have 7 guys on 1 way contracts and Smith who is 2 way but isn't going back to the minors because a.  he shouldn't and b. won't clear waivers.  We are going to either lose a guy on waivers or Kenny has to make a trade.  

Huskins for Chara, Lucic and Seguin..oh and we will throw in a bag of used pucks.  Seems fair

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#42 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

The issue is we have 7 guys on 1 way contracts and Smith who is 2 way but isn't going back to the minors because a.  he shouldn't and b. won't clear waivers.  We are going to either lose a guy on waivers or Kenny has to make a trade.

Whether a contract is "one way" or "two way" has no bearing on a player's waiver eligibility.  That only determines the salary that player is paid, depending on where he's playing.  Best explanation of that (and the entire Waiver Eligibility process) I've found for that is here... 

Do 1-Way and 2-Way contracts effect Waivers?

Simply put, no they do not. This is a common misconception. 1-way and 2-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They are for salary purposes between the AHL and NHL. The confusion is understandable, most players with 2-way contracts are waiver exempt because of the reasons above. Most players on 1-way contracts aren’t waiver exempt. Just keep in mind that the chart above is the only thing that determines a players waiver status.

For what it's worth, Lashoff is on a two way contract too, but it doesn't matter since his salary is only $523k this year (he'd make $50k if he's playing in GR).  I believe that Lash is waiver exempt, too.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#43 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Owned lol..I'm more confused then ever..so which of our d would have to clear waivers to get sent down?

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#44 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Owned lol..I'm more confused then ever..so which of our d would have to clear waivers to get sent down?

Essentially, it comes down to the age and experience of a player. Look at the information under "Exempt Due to Experience" for an explanation on it. Pretty sure the only two guys on the team who don't have to clear waivers are Smith and Lashoff.

http://www.pensionpl...uide-to-the-nhl

Edited by Jesusberg, 31 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Basically, in most cases 2-way contracts coincide with being waiver-exempt.  But it's a coincidence and doesn't mean a 2-way contract IS waiver exempt all the time.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Whether a contract is "one way" or "two way" has no bearing on a player's waiver eligibility.  That only determines the salary that player is paid, depending on where he's playing.  Best explanation of that (and the entire Waiver Eligibility process) I've found for that is here... 

Didn't know that, thanks for the Link !

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Didn't know that, thanks for the Link !

Capgeek has a waiver calculator.

You can find all the information needed for that on Capgeek as well. Not sure how ATOs and entry-level slide affects waivers, but in most cases those don't apply.

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Dump E, Q and Kindl before next season. Give Lashoff his job, sign DeKeyser, re-sign Huskins and go after a top pairing guy.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#49 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Why would they get rid of Ericsson?

He has been the team's best d-man this season. I know he has flaws, but I wish the Ericsson is horrible stigma would go away. He has developed into a reliable player for the Red Wings. I don't think he's a top pairing d-man ideally, but he has done nothing to warrant angst like Quincey.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#50 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Why would they get rid of Ericsson?

He has been the team's best d-man this season. I know he has flaws, but I wish the Ericsson is horrible stigma would go away. He has developed into a reliable player for the Red Wings. I don't think he's a top pairing d-man ideally, but he has done nothing to warrant angst like Quincey.

It's residual hate. It will start to go away now that we have Quincey to fill the role.

Posted Image