• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Zetterberg's Great But...

Rate this topic

Maybe Z takes a little longer to get off the ice after his shifts.

Average Shifts per game since the lockout:

2013= 25.8 Pavs, 24.5 Z

2011-12= 25.3 Pavs, 24.2 Z

2010-11= 23.4 Pavs, 23.6 Z

2009-10= 25.7 Pavs, 25.2 Z

2008-09= 25 Pavs, 25.5 Z

2007-08= 26 Pavs, 26.6 Z

2006-07= 25 Pavs, 26.6 Z

2005-06= 22.3 Pavs, 24.2 Z

Looks pretty damn even to me when it comes to who Babs' putting on the ice when you're talking about a difference of 1 or less shifts per game.

We look great and win for one game and we're already back to lying in the snow, making snow angles, looking up at the sky, and asking the unanswerable question, 'Gee, Wally, who do you think is better; Datsyuk or Zetterberg?" and taking a bite of snow while we happily mull over it as if that is the biggest problem in Red Wings Land...

Lol, a thread over 1 shift. So much favoritism that it hurts. I understand that pasha is a great 2-way, one of the best, but do not deny how good zetty is in his own zone. You're underestimating how valuable Z is in his own zone, and on the PK. Another thing, Zetterberg is on the first PK unit while pasha is on the 2nd. Sometimes you waste more of a shift during that PK which would off-set that "1 shift" difference. It's mere seconds, not 5 minutes. Get over the small things, or you're in for a bad time.

Guest The Axe

Whats interesting is the long term effect.

If Z plays 41 more minutes per season, you can expect him to score 2 more points because of the cumulative additional ice time. Over a 15 year career, thats 30 points, and.... oh wait a minute ...this isnt interesting at all.

Since we'll probably finish 3rd in the Division and 6th in the Conference, I'm looking forward to some "so called" Red Wings fans to jump ship over to St. Louis or Chicago. Go annoy Blues and Hawks fans.

Some people's comments on the team after only 6 games is ridiculous. This is a very entertaining team to watch! They have a lot of grit (something these same people were complaining about in previous seasons). The Wings haven't played like this seen since the late 1990's, and they seem to be hitting their stride.

Just sit back and enjoy.

Yesterday, against the Stars was really the only good game so far. It was classic Detroit hockey. The Minny game had glimpses of good play during the 2nd and 3rd periods.The rest were kinda painful and laborius to watch.

I don't mnd the ridiculous comments as long as I get to comment back.

Edited by T.Low

Guest The Axe

Yesterday, against the Stars was really the only god game so far. It was classic Detroit hockey. The Minny game had glimpses of good play during the 2nd and 3rd periods.The rest were kinda painful and laborius to watch.

I don't mnd the ridiculous comments as long as I get to comment back.

Not a good game to judge. Dallas had Colorado the night before. Brutal travel and tough to go into the joe in the first place. St Louis/ San Jose rested are the best measuring sticks.

I think most of us would agree that Zetterberg is a great hockey player. I also think most of us would agree that Datsyuk is even better yet Zetterberg always gets a little more ice-time.

I guess Babcock must think Zetterberg is better because I can't think another reason why he would get more ice-time.

Hi, I think most of us would agree that this is not a great post.

You must have missed Gretzky's comments on Z the other day:

My favorite player over the last 10 years has been [Henrik] Zetterberg. I think Zetterberg is the best player in the game [at his age]. He's been so physically beat up from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Olympics, all that goes with that, but he's just very special. I think he's the best Swedish player they've ever put into the National Hockey League, and there has been a lot of great ones, from [borje] Salming to [Nicklas] Lidstrom.
Edited by evilmrt

We look great and win for one game and we're already back to lying in the snow, making snow angles, looking up at the sky, and asking the unanswerable question, 'Gee, Wally, who do you think is better; Datsyuk or Zetterberg?" and taking a bite of snow while we happily mull over it as if that is the biggest problem in Red Wings Land...

Seriously? While I agree this is a pointless thread, would you like wings fans to cry in a corner and complain all day about how much our team sucks now? We aren't that much different than last year, and our team is getting better now that they have some games played. You're saying however that we can't have any fun or pick out good things we've seen so far, or talk about things we like... why don't you go back to your negative threads and leave everyone else alone.

Seriously? While I agree this is a pointless thread, would you like wings fans to cry in a corner and complain all day about how much our team sucks now? We aren't that much different than last year, and our team is getting better now that they have some games played. You're saying however that we can't have any fun or pick out good things we've seen so far, or talk about things we like... why don't you go back to your negative threads and leave everyone else alone.

Sorry that my humor was too harsh for you. It may not have been the clearest attempt at humor, but I certainly didn't think it would draw that kind of reaction.

All I meant was that this is the exact thread that used to pop up all the time when we were playing awesome hockey and had no worries. Kinda like Seinfeld and Constanza argueing about which Super Hero was the greatest.

You gotta admitt that while they just had a geat game against a tired vanilla team like Dallas, they still have a lof of issues, yet here

we are arguing about who's better, D or Z, which is the absolute smallest of concerns we could possibly have. They're both awesome !

I didn't realize my posts were seen as negative. I'll do my best to ignore you from now on since that's what you want.

Cheers.

Guest irishock

Since we'll probably finish 3rd in the Division and 6th in the Conference, I'm looking forward to some "so called" Red Wings fans to jump ship over to St. Louis or Chicago. Go annoy Blues and Hawks fans.

Some people's comments on the team after only 6 games is ridiculous. This is a very entertaining team to watch! They have a lot of grit (something these same people were complaining about in previous seasons). The Wings haven't played like this seen since the late 1990's, and they seem to be hitting their stride.

Just sit back and enjoy.

They want to see Fehr and Bettman at it again

Just sit back and enjoy.

I'm a die hard Wings fan...does that mean I'm not allowed to like St. Louis and Chicago? Cause I do.

I've liked the Hawks and Blues since the days of Roenick and Chelios, Hull and Oates. I've been a Sabres fan since LaFontaine and Mogilny. Hell, I used to like the Cansucks when they had Bure and Mogilny. I hope we're not supposed to hate teams cause they aren't the Wings. Once it comes to playoff time, I cheer for Wings far and away #1, but if they get knocked out and Chicago and St. Louis are still in you can bet your ass I'll be cheering for them over crap like Pittsburgh and Vancouver and San Jose.

On the bright side though, if the Wings play in the playoffs the way they did last night then we should actually see a legit playoff run. That may be top to bottom the best game I've seen the Wings play in about 2 1/2 - 3 years. Not a schelacking goal wise, but they played 60 minutes of hard nosed hockey and played really well all around.

Sorry that my humor was too harsh for you. It may not have been the clearest attempt at humor, but I certainly didn't think it would draw that kind of reaction.

All I meant was that this is the exact thread that used to pop up all the time when we were playing awesome hockey and had no worries. Kinda like Seinfeld and Constanza argueing about which Super Hero was the greatest.

You gotta admitt that while they just had a geat game against a tired vanilla team like Dallas, they still have a lof of issues, yet here

we are arguing about who's better, D or Z, which is the absolute smallest of concerns we could possibly have. They're both awesome !

I didn't realize my posts were seen as negative. I'll do my best to ignore you from now on since that's what you want.

Cheers.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, there is just so much negativity going around these boards right now, I think a little break from which d-man sucks the most, orwho should be traded where is needed. I like the tootoo thread, stuff like that takes away from the fact that we aren't who we were in 08. But I digress, I didn't really get that you were being humorous, so I retract my comment, no need to ignore people, I did not mean to be overly rude :)

I heard Z gets extra water on the bench too. WTF?!!

esteef

I heard the trainer also stretches him out for 2 minutes more before games... talk about favouritism

Guest Johnz96

this could have been an interesting thread if it actually showed a real difference in ice time

Their is a small difference and it is consistent over their entire careers. The difference is more significant in the playoffs

2011-12 Z 23:05, D 21:17

2010-11 Z 21:59, D 21:09

2009-10 Z 20:25, D 18:48

2008-09 Z 22:09, D 20:06

2007-08 Z 22:36, D 21:40

2006-07 Z 22:44, D 22:03

Their is a small difference and it is consistent over their entire careers. The difference is more significant in the playoffs

That is an average of 1 minute 18 seconds more per year, which is not unreasonable. you have to look at who was on what line, injuries, pk time, pp time. its only an extra shift and a half on average

Guest Johnz96

That is an average of 1 minute 18 seconds more per year, which is not unreasonable. you have to look at who was on what line, injuries, pk time, pp time. its only an extra shift and a half on average

That's 1 min 18s per game. I know it's not a big difference but it is consistent since the lockout. If it was a fluke, Datsyuk would have some years in which he had a little more ice-time. Altogether it's close to 1000 mins difference in games they have both played or the equivalent of almost 50 games. I think Babcock thinks Z is a little better and apparently so does Gretzky. I think Datsyuk is.

And I think this thread is a lot better than some of the doom and gloom ones. There are 30 teams that have the same goal in a league that stresses parity, you have to expect some lean years and we haven't had any in more than 2 decades and I don't think this one will be either.

Over his career several people have made reference to how deep Zetterberg's tank is. The guy's a horse. So he ends up getting a minute or two more ice time.

Trying to extrapolate that into some meaningful qualitative difference between the two is a stretch.

Last year a lot of people here were questioning his effort (I'm not one of those)

I think one of the biggest factors is linemates. Z while not always, has usually played with more defensively responsible guys. Z gets Flip and Cleary, Pav gets Franzen and Bert, that sorta thing. It's a minute or so per game which is what, a shift, maybe one extra one? It's dumb luck and we just need to realize sometimes chance continues for a little while. Another factor is Z's endurance. For all we know there could be something we're not seeing since no one here coaches this team.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

That's 1 min 18s per game. I know it's not a big difference but it is consistent since the lockout. If it was a fluke, Datsyuk would have some years in which he had a little more ice-time. Altogether it's close to 1000 mins difference in games they have both played or the equivalent of almost 50 games. I think Babcock thinks Z is a little better and apparently so does Gretzky. I think Datsyuk is.

And I think this thread is a lot better than some of the doom and gloom ones. There are 30 teams that have the same goal in a league that stresses parity, you have to expect some lean years and we haven't had any in more than 2 decades and I don't think this one will be either.

Last year a lot of people here were questioning his effort (I'm not one of those)

Who questioned Z's work ethic? He played half the season with a back injury, anyone who questions his work ethic is misinformed and not very wise.

^To his credit people did question his work ethic. When we're losing we panic and overreact, it's not unrealistic to see some of us do this sort of thing.

Another thing I think it might be is in big defensive situations they sometimes are on the ice together. Now if they're on different lines 5 on 5, then there's a good chance one of them had one extra or one less shift than the other to that point. Then you put them together (big PK, empty net on the other side, etc) and that can skew the numbers.

^To his credit people did question his work ethic. When we're losing we panic and overreact, it's not unrealistic to see some of us do this sort of thing.

Another thing I think it might be is in big defensive situations they sometimes are on the ice together. Now if they're on different lines 5 on 5, then there's a good chance one of them had one extra or one less shift than the other to that point. Then you put them together (big PK, empty net on the other side, etc) and that can skew the numbers.

I am not doubting people questioned it, I want to know who these people are so I can give them the "what for"

Guest Johnz96

I am not doubting people questioned it, I want to know who these people are so I can give them the "what for"

There's a guy (GoWings) on the Red Wings Central Forum that called him Zoidberg and posted crap about Z questioning his effort all season long.