• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Paul Kelly: Expansion coming

Rate this topic

Exactly, there should be no talk of expansion in this league until some of these questionable markets are moved.

Expanding yields nice fat fees and a load of cash. And 32 teams is easier to divide by if and likely when they decide to completely shake up the conferences. Remember when a lot of ideas were floated around that ended up with 8 teams in one division and 7 in another?

Expanding yields nice fat fees and a load of cash. And 32 teams is easier to divide by if and likely when they decide to completely shake up the conferences. Remember when a lot of ideas were floated around that ended up with 8 teams in one division and 7 in another?

But they need to realign conferences now. Expansion would take at least several years before those markets can even exist.

But they need to realign conferences now. Expansion would take at least several years before those markets can even exist.

You couldn't see the league prolonging expansion year by year for a few short years until they can get a couple of teams shoehorned into an already too large league? I don't agree but it's the type of thing I could see the NHL trying.

Myself I think we could stand to lose two teams rather than gaining two more.

Those ideas were more than "floated around". One of them was approved by the Board of Governors. The NHL would currently be using this setup, if it weren't rejected by the NHLPA.

This was the alignment that the BoG approved, before the NHLPA rejected it. 8 teams per "division" in the "Western Conference", but only 7 teams per in the "East".

photonw.png

Those ideas were more than "floated around". One of them was approved by the Board of Governors. The NHL would currently be using this setup, if it weren't rejected by the NHLPA.

This was the alignment that the BoG approved, before the NHLPA rejected it. 8 teams per "division" in the "Western Conference", but only 7 teams per in the "East".

photonw.png

Expansion looks likely for QC and Toronto 2. I was thinking how Uncle Gary always likes to stick it to the Canadians, and it makes sense that Seattle will pay the much lower relocation fee (70 mil?) , while QC and Markham will pay the giant 400 million expansion fees. In Markham's case, I can only imagine what other fees the Leafs will demand of them.

Anyway, it will even things out on the realignment. I have no idea how they'd divide the conferences in the East though, since both new teams would fit into the Yellow (Northeast?) division.

Edited by evilmrt

Expansion looks likely for QC and Toronto 2. I was thinking how Uncle Gary always likes to stick it to the Canadians, and it makes sense that Seattle will pay the much lower relocation fee (70 mil?) , while QC and Markham will pay the giant 400 million expansion fees. In Markham's case, I can only imagine what other fees the Leafs will demand of them.

Anyway, it will even things out on the realignment. I have no idea how they'd divide the conferences in the East though, since both new teams would fit into the Yellow (Northeast?) division.

Ya that is because uncle Gary knows how badly those areas want a team and will pay ANYTHING to get it (maybe even pay him a compliment :P)