Paul Kelly: Expansion coming

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 nmuwildcat

nmuwildcat

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

... Unknown of the ambition toward having an NHL franchise in Seattle, but we'll see that soon enough, now won't we?...

Google "Don Levin Seattle"

Don Levin is the owner of the AHL Chicago Wolves, and has PLENTY of money to burn. I recently get the impression he's silently got a deal (either through expansion or relocation) like True North had put together for the Thrashers.

Levin has the finances to support a team, and the passion to make it a winner. He knows how to put the right people in place. Two IHL and two AHL championships in just 20 years of minor league hockey.

#42 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Or is that just damage (spin) control?

The League needs to set up new franchises in the Guam and Puerto Rico.

From TSN:

And there you have it, straight from the opposite end of the horse's mouth.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#43 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Windsor  :hysterical:
We don't have nearly close enough a population for a nhl team to survive, it would probably do as bad as Phoenix

I've always had a fantasy about a Windsor team. Although it's not pragmatic. imagine how epic a Detroit/Windsor rivalry would be. The fan interaction alone would make it worth it. Plus, I haven't had a reason to go to Windsor since I've turned twenty one.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Windsor has more hockey. Fans than Glendale. When you include the cities that are closer to Windsor than Toronto and Ottawa I don't think it's absurd to think there are enough people to sustain a franchise. There's no way that a Windsor team will have worse attendance than the panthers.

Edited by The Greek, 31 January 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#44 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

With several teams in a very precarious financial state, I think the word that should be being discussed, is contraction. It would seem a more fiscally responsible thing to do. I can't, for the life of me, see why they would want to add teams, when more than half of the current teams are swimming in red ink. Or at least wading in it.

#45 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

With several teams in a very precarious financial state, I think the word that should be being discussed, is contraction. It would seem a more fiscally responsible thing to do. I can't, for the life of me, see why they would want to add teams, when more than half of the current teams are swimming in red ink. Or at least wading in it.

Maybe it's all about taking a loss and writing it off and not logic that they keep these teams where they are. :/

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

If I was rich I would purchase some sort of team for Regina just so I could call them the Regina Vaginas

I would love to see what your team logo/jerseys would look like...Shaved, or natural?

Edited by F.Michael, 31 January 2013 - 07:50 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

The only upside of expansion would be that it would mean more jobs for players.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

The only upside of expansion would be that it would mean more jobs for players.

I was thinking the same thing. The players may or may not get behind it because it meant more players with jobs. Unfortunately, it also means expansion draft and a spreading thin(ner) of the real talent in the league. I'd prefer contraction to expansion any day: creates healthier competition (more frequent meeting) and ups the overall talent level team to team. Because of what it does to owners pocket books, the overall number of employed players, and the perception of the league, this will never happen, so fingers crossed for relocation. Besides the higher ups in the league who lose face when cities lose teams, the league would OBVIOUSLY be better for it. Like a bandaid, do it quick, get it over with. Bettman and company need to take their licks and move on for the good of the league. The comparison between this fight for staying put or expanding over relocation and the recent lockout is becoming eerie.

#49 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Let's not forget the league has shown a willingness to get rid of conferences altogether in tgeir realignment plan.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#50 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Maybe it's all about taking a loss and writing it off and not logic that they keep these teams where they are. :/

I can see that from the teams that are losing money, but that makes no sense from a team that is making money and has to give some to the ones losing money. I can't imagine The IRS has a form asking, "How much did you give to The Coyotes, last year?"

#51 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Because I'm sure I"m not the only one thinking it...

An increase to 32 teams means Bettman would need to have 9 votes on his side to ensure he can't be overruled, up from the 8 he currently needs.  Though, I doubt that would be hard for him to do...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#52 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Uncle Gary should hire Kelly and put him in the League's "Public Relations Department".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#53 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Why not move the Panthers and Coyotes?

Exactly, there should be no talk of expansion in this league until some of  these questionable markets are moved.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#54 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Exactly, there should be no talk of expansion in this league until some of  these questionable markets are moved.

Expanding yields nice fat fees and a load of cash. And 32 teams is easier to divide by if and likely when they decide to completely shake up the conferences. Remember when a lot of ideas were floated around that ended up with 8 teams in one division and 7 in another?

#55 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Expanding yields nice fat fees and a load of cash. And 32 teams is easier to divide by if and likely when they decide to completely shake up the conferences. Remember when a lot of ideas were floated around that ended up with 8 teams in one division and 7 in another?

But they need to realign conferences now.  Expansion would take at least several years before those markets can even exist.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#56 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

But they need to realign conferences now.  Expansion would take at least several years before those markets can even exist.  

You couldn't see the league prolonging expansion year by year for a few short years until they can get a couple of teams shoehorned into an already too large league? I don't agree but it's the type of thing I could see the NHL trying.

Myself I think we could stand to lose two teams rather than gaining two more.

#57 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Those ideas were more than "floated around".  One of them was approved by the Board of Governors.  The NHL would currently be using this setup, if it weren't rejected by the NHLPA.

This was the alignment that the BoG approved, before the NHLPA rejected it.  8 teams per "division" in the "Western Conference", but only 7 teams per in the "East".

photonw.png

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#58 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Those ideas were more than "floated around".  One of them was approved by the Board of Governors.  The NHL would currently be using this setup, if it weren't rejected by the NHLPA.

This was the alignment that the BoG approved, before the NHLPA rejected it.  8 teams per "division" in the "Western Conference", but only 7 teams per in the "East".

photonw.png

Expansion looks likely for QC and Toronto 2. I was thinking how Uncle Gary always likes to stick it to the Canadians, and it makes sense that Seattle will pay the much lower relocation fee (70 mil?) , while QC and Markham will pay the giant 400 million expansion fees. In Markham's case, I can only imagine what other fees the Leafs will demand of them. 

Anyway, it will even things out on the realignment. I have no idea how they'd divide the conferences in the East though, since both new teams would fit into the Yellow (Northeast?) division. 

Edited by evilmrt, 31 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#59 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Expansion looks likely for QC and Toronto 2. I was thinking how Uncle Gary always likes to stick it to the Canadians, and it makes sense that Seattle will pay the much lower relocation fee (70 mil?) , while QC and Markham will pay the giant 400 million expansion fees. In Markham's case, I can only imagine what other fees the Leafs will demand of them. 

Anyway, it will even things out on the realignment. I have no idea how they'd divide the conferences in the East though, since both new teams would fit into the Yellow (Northeast?) division. 

Ya that is because uncle Gary knows how badly those areas want a team and will pay ANYTHING to get it (maybe even pay him a compliment :P)