• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

O'Reilly Trade Rumor

Rate this topic

According to the Ottawa Sun, the Avs are reportedly interested in trading Ryan O'Reilly's contract rights for a "young forward and a second round pick". Supposedly O'Reilly wants to sign for between 3-4 million per season, but there's no mention on how long he's looking for.

Nyquist + 2nd for O'Reilly? Done.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/col130127.html

Edited by kipwinger

I would def take that nyquist and a 2nd for his rights

very young and can score, hopefully holland takes a go at him

id have him on the 2nd line either wing or center

flip dats mule

Z oreily brunner

sams helm bert

miller abs tootoo

thats deep

whoops left out cleary oh well f*** him

Edited by brett

I hope so, this guy is only getting better. I've actually seen a lot of him over the last two years and he reminds me a lot of Helm, but with the ability to finish. He's obviously not quite as fast, but works very hard, defensively responsible, finishes his checks, competes every night, and has some offense.

Only drawback is that he's a center, and we're pretty loaded with those right now. Then again...

Flip-Dats-Franzen

Brunner-O'Reilly-Zetterberg

Bert-Helm-Sammy

Tootoo-Abby-Miller/Eaves/Cleary/whoever?

I would def take that nyquist and a 2nd for his rights

very young and can score, hopefully holland takes a go at him

id have him on the 2nd line either wing or center

flip dats mule

Z oreily brunner

sams helm bert

miller abs tootoo

thats deep

whoops left out cleary oh well f*** him

Haha, funny we came up with the exact same line combos.

Why not? Throw in Tatar to sweeten it.

Screw it, why not? O'Reilly is the real deal.

He can score well but that's not the draw here. Anyone talented enough who works hard enough will score with the team we have. It's his defensive game that I'd be interested in. From what I've seen and from everything Avs fans have said, he's a Selke caliber player. The games I've seen him play, more than just a few, indicate to me he's a hard worker and is competitive as hell. He blocks shots, is a great PKer and can steal pucks fairly well.

My only concern would be can he play wing? We have plenty of centers unless Hank moves to wing, and we know he can. I would give them Nyquist, even though I think Nyquist has a higher offensive upside. O'Reilly completely skipped the AHL and didn't look out of place, we know what we'd be getting and he's basically a slight variation of Flip from what I've seen and heard. Just a little faster but with less defensive prowess. I don't want to give up Nyquist but I dunno what else they'd want. If we could give them Sheahan and a second I'd be pretty pleased.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

i dont think nyquist and tatar will ever be nhl caliber. nyquist had 18 games and only scored cause of datsyuk without him hes invisible and brings nothing. same with tatar. yeah they havent had much of a chance to create chemistry or play steady but from what ive seen i dont think theyll make it. so to me its a no brainier on that trade

He can score well but that's not the draw here. Anyone talented enough who works hard enough will score with the team we have. It's his defensive game that I'd be interested in. From what I've seen and from everything Avs fans have said, he's a Selke caliber player. The games I've seen him play, more than just a few, indicate to me he's a hard worker and is competitive as hell. He blocks shots, is a great PKer and can steal pucks fairly well.

My only concern would be can he play wing? We have plenty of centers as is and I wouldn't trade Flip for this guy. I would however give them Nyquist, even though I think Nyquist has a higher offensive upside. O'Reilly completely skipped the AHL and didn't look out of place, we know what we'd be getting and he's basically a slight variation of Flip from what I've seen and heard. Just a little faster but with less defensive prowess. I don't want to give up Nyquist but I dunno what else they'd want. If we could give them Sheahan and a second I'd be pretty pleased.

As I said, I've seen this guy play a lot. Defensively he's as good as Flip or Helm, works hard, back checks, plays physical for his size, has real good speed. Offensively you're talking about a guy who put up 55 pts. in his second year, so I don't know if Nyquist really does have more upside. Especially considering O'Reilly has better size and strength and is still developing his game at the NHL level as well.

I doubt he could transition to the wing though he seems like a Jordin Staal type center, big strong puck carrier who likes to gain the zone and then dish. But we all know Zetterberg definitely can play the wing effectively.

i dont think nyquist and tatar will ever be nhl caliber. nyquist had 18 games and only scored cause of datsyuk without him hes invisible and brings nothing. same with tatar. yeah they havent had much of a chance to create chemistry or play steady but from what ive seen i dont think theyll make it. so to me its a no brainier on that trade

watch out! another nhl scout on the LGW boards, lace em up boys, lets see what you got

Guest The Axe

I agree. The Avs will want Flip or Helm.

I don't think they will, no rumors I'm seeing say they want a roster player, and they're certainly not going to get a key component of any team for a guy who doesn't have a contract. That's the key, without having him signed, nobody is going to give too much for him, and the Avs can't really ask for the world either.

Edit: Just read about how the Avs have an absolutely horrible PK right now. Give them Miller, Tatar, and 2nd for O'Reilly's rights. Clears out our glut of forwards, gives them their prospect and pick, and helps their PK with a good third line forward and PKer. Win, win, win.

Edited by kipwinger

The AVs won't trade with us unfortunately...

It's simple;

we hire D Mac as an advisor (we know he could use the cash anyways)

he goes into the "negotiating" room with Greg Sherman

he comes out with not only the rights for O' Reilly but Gabriel Landeskog, and Erik Johnson all for Kyle Quincey

Now that's negotiating ;):boxing:

What? Nyquist only plays 12 minutes a game, he's got 7 points in his first 19 games. Datsyuk only had 5 in his first 19. And Zetterberg only 8 in his first 19. I guess they would have been trade bait for a 50 point guy too.

I'm not against the trade, but don't undervalue Nyquist, he's done nothing to hurt his value.

The AVs won't trade with us unfortunately...

Why? We're not in the same division? Teams trade within the conference all the time. Plus we're a good trading partner if they want prospects given that we've got 3 of the top 30 in the AHL. And the rivalry days are long gone.

What? Nyquist only plays 12 minutes a game, he's got 7 points in his first 19 games. Datsyuk only had 5 in his first 19. And Zetterberg only 8 in his first 19. I guess they would have been trade bait for a 50 point guy too.

I'm not against the trade, but don't undervalue Nyquist, he's done nothing to hurt his value.

This.

Nyquist is quick on his feet, can see plays developing, responsible defensively, and most importantly he looks like he belongs in the nhl, he bounced around 4 different lines for his 18 games, and still managed 7 points. 6 assists to me is far better than 7 empty net goals on great passes from Pasha, it shows he can create scoring opportunities. Hey LGW naysayyers know better though

As I said, I've seen this guy play a lot. Defensively he's as good as Flip or Helm, works hard, back checks, plays physical for his size, has real good speed. Offensively you're talking about a guy who put up 55 pts. in his second year, so I don't know if Nyquist really does have more upside. Especially considering O'Reilly has better size and strength and is still developing his game at the NHL level as well.

I doubt he could transition to the wing though he seems like a Jordin Staal type center, big strong puck carrier who likes to gain the zone and then dish. But we all know Zetterberg definitely can play the wing effectively.

It's not the numbers that concern me when I compare the offensive upside. I get the safe estimate is O'Reilly will score more but it's just my inner scout talking when I guess Nyquist has the higher offensive upside. I just think when he settles in at the NHL level he'll score more. It won't be by a ton but I think O'Reilly's scoring will top out around 70-80 points with great D whereas Nyquist could be a, 80-85 point guy with good D. I think O'Reilly's defense more than makes up.

And I know it's custom to act like the other team will be as in the know as us about every single player and prospect but they don't label every prospect garbage compared to theirs like we do. They can't demand Flip or Helm, they're both proven commodities with good deals, whereas their player is good but far from proven yet and doesn't have a contract. They can't be picky.

It's not the numbers that concern me when I compare the offensive upside. I get the safe estimate is O'Reilly will score more but it's just my inner scout talking when I guess Nyquist has the higher offensive upside. I just think when he settles in at the NHL level he'll score more. It won't be by a ton but I think O'Reilly's scoring will top out around 70-80 points with great D whereas Nyquist could be a, 80-85 point guy with good D. I think O'Reilly's defense more than makes up.

And I know it's custom to act like the other team will be as in the know as us about every single player and prospect but they don't label every prospect garbage compared to theirs like we do. They can't demand Flip or Helm, they're both proven commodities with good deals, whereas their player is good but far from proven yet and doesn't have a contract. They can't be picky.

Exactly.

Only drawback is that he's a center, and we're pretty loaded with those right now. Then again...

Not really, considering Flip could possibly be gone this summer, and Pav possibly the next. Jarnkrok looks like our only potential top 6 center among our prospects. He'd be a nice insurance policy, or even allow us three scoring lines.

That said, I doubt the Avs would deal with us. Not sure that our prospects would be enough either.

Guest The Axe

Just ask yourself if youd give up Helm for him. If not, then hes nothing to get super excitex about anyway.

we also view our own prospects as garbage, our team as garbage, our management as garbage, our coaching as garbage... until we start winning, then we are great, and have the best management in the league, best coaching. team, prospects etc...

It may have been a while ago, and all of the participants are gone, but bad blood runs deep. I don't see Colorado dealing a young stud to us, at least not for cheap. Just like every good player that seems to be landing on the trading block these days, if he's dealt, it will probably be Eastward.

But if they would take Nyguist and a 2nd rounder, then by all means. And I haven'd bailed on Nyguist, either. I still think he has potential ... but does Colorado?