• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Only drawback is that he's a center, and we're pretty loaded with those right now.  Then again...

Not really, considering Flip could possibly be gone this summer, and Pav possibly the next. Jarnkrok looks like our only potential top 6 center among our prospects. He'd be a nice insurance policy, or even allow us three scoring lines.

That said, I doubt the Avs would deal with us. Not sure that our prospects would be enough either.

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Just ask yourself if youd give up Helm for him. If not, then hes nothing to get super excitex about anyway.

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

It's not the numbers that concern me when I compare the offensive upside. I get the safe estimate is O'Reilly will score more but it's just my inner scout talking when I guess Nyquist has the higher offensive upside. I just think when he settles in at the NHL level he'll score more. It won't be by a ton but I think O'Reilly's scoring will top out around 70-80 points with great D whereas Nyquist could be a, 80-85 point guy with good D. I think O'Reilly's defense more than makes up.

And I know it's custom to act like the other team will be as in the know as us about every single player and prospect but they don't label every prospect garbage compared to theirs like we do. They can't demand Flip or Helm, they're both proven commodities with good deals, whereas their player is good but far from proven yet and doesn't have a contract. They can't be picky.

we also view our own prospects as garbage, our team as garbage, our management as garbage, our coaching as garbage... until we start winning, then we are great, and have the best management in the league, best coaching. team, prospects etc...

#24 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

It may have been a while ago, and all of the participants are gone, but bad blood runs deep. I don't see Colorado dealing a young stud to us, at least not for cheap. Just like every good player that seems to be landing on the trading block these days, if he's dealt, it will probably be Eastward.

But if they would take Nyguist and a 2nd rounder, then by all means. And I haven'd bailed on Nyguist, either. I still think he has potential ... but does Colorado? 

#25 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Just ask yourself if youd give up Helm for him. If not, then hes nothing to get super excitex about anyway.

That's kind of a push/pull logic scenario.

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I wouldn't trade helm any single player in the league, not stamkos, ovechkin, toews, yandle, bouwmeester, suter, chara, or anyone else. That's just me though, I love having helm on our team, goal scorer or not he is our best player most nights, and a lot of teams would trade a lot to get him (obviously not the players i mentioned)

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Not really, considering Flip could possibly be gone this summer, and Pav possibly the next. Jarnkrok looks like our only potential top 6 center among our prospects. He'd be a nice insurance policy, or even allow us three scoring lines.

That said, I doubt the Avs would deal with us. Not sure that our prospects would be enough either.

I agree with you about Flip and Pavs, and O'Reilly would definitely ensure that a transition after Pav would be a little smoother.  So I'm obviously not against it, especially if he can be had for what's supposedly being asked.  Truth is, I have no idea if they would trade with us or not, but as I've already said, considering we've got 3 of the top 30 AHL prospect, and the 2nd highest AHL scorer who wasn't playing regularly in the NHL last season, I'd say we've got a shot.  Check out the rankings...

http://theahl.com/st..._id=-1&confId=0

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#28 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

whoops left out cleary oh well f*** him

HAHAHA, this made me laugh so hard.  I just imagine Babcock saying that.  Oops, left cleary off the lineup tonight... f*** it, just turn it in.

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

HAHAHA, this made me laugh so hard.  I just imagine Babcock saying that.  Oops, left cleary off the lineup tonight... f*** it, just turn it in.

Pre-game interview

"so babcock, why did you leave cleary out of the lineup tonight?"

"well we need to get the lines rollin, and I wanted to try mixing things up, don't get me wrong cleary is a great guy, thats why we gave him the pom poms tonight to cheer on the people who can scate, pass, forecheck, backcheck, and most of all score"

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Wow. I don't understand some on here. Let's think with our heads and not our hearts for a minute. Ryan O is a 21 year old C, 6-0/200 that has played 3 full seasons in the NHL. Got better each year and had 55 points last year. He is at least a #2 C and could be a #1. he is developing into a 80+ point per season guy. He is an upgrade over Filppula who is a UFA this summer. At worst he would be the 3rd best forward on our team. Maybe the best on our team in a year or 2. This is a guy that can play for another 12 years.

That being said, any F that they want and a 2nd round pick, DONE! No expections. this is a future cornerstone type of a player.

Will it happen? Nah, makes way way to much sense.

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

If this was true, id make this trade all day every day. I'd do Nyquist, 1st for O'Reilly any day - I'd do any forward not named Z or Dats + 1st even. This guy is a cornerstone guy who would be huge for us for a long time. Image a future long term centre depth being Jarnkrok, O'Reilly, Sheahan, Helm, Abdelkader with Z and Dats playing out their days on the wings... 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#32 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Blah blah blah trade Nyquist blah blah... Nyquist has been outstanding in the AHL. Bunch of points in the NHL. Leave him be.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'd personally rather the Wings don't trade Nyquist.  I do think that there are plenty of other prospects that could make such a deal happen. 

Either way, if such a trade were possible I would slide O'Reilly into the number 2C spot right away.  Imagine either Datsyuk or Zetterberg playing the Wing and not having to be so defensively minded all the time.  They're offence could flourish and not only that, if an injury were to happen they slide right back to centre. 

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#34 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Some are really really over estimating Nyquist. he is not a future NHL star. Points in the AHL? Please. helm, emmerton, mursak, Abby, etc..... used to score in the AHL as well. There is no connection. At best nyquist is a 40 point a year guy in the NHL. heck, O'reilly who is YOUNGER than Nyquist is already producing more than Nyquist ever will. Before someone throws out tatar, he is deeper on the depth chart with less talent than Nyquist.

#35 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Some are really really over estimating Nyquist. he is not a future NHL star. Points in the AHL? Please. helm, emmerton, mursak, Abby, etc..... used to score in the AHL as well. There is no connection. At best nyquist is a 40 point a year guy in the NHL. heck, O'reilly who is YOUNGER than Nyquist is already producing more than Nyquist ever will. Before someone throws out tatar, he is deeper on the depth chart with less talent than Nyquist.

I love how you speak with such certainty.  If you watch the Griffs games you can see how Nyquist controls and thinks the game.  Comparing Helms AHL career .55 PPG with Nyquist being a point per game player is irrational.  All of Helm, Emmerton, Mursak, and Abdelkader were no where close to point per game guys in the AHL.

I'm not disagreeing that some posters on this forum, in my opinion, are overvaluing Nyquist.  But even the worst offenders are on par with how much you are undervaluing him.

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

What? Nyquist only plays 12 minutes a game, he's got 7 points in his first 19 games. Datsyuk only had 5 in his first 19. And Zetterberg only 8 in his first 19. I guess they would have been trade bait for a 50 point guy too.

I'm not against the trade, but don't undervalue Nyquist, he's done nothing to hurt his value.

Exactly.  Trade Tatar and a 2nd.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#37 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Exactly.  Trade Tatar and a 2nd.

Not sure it would be enough for COL but that would be my ideal offer as well.  I'd even consider including Andersson and making the 2nd a 3rd.

#38 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Part of me wonders how accurate this rumor is. In my mind, this is just hopeful speculation from a writer working out of a city that badly needs a #1/#2 center now that Spezza's out for most of the year.

+ Brian Murray likes to trade pro-actively. Kenny? Not so much. Detroit loses this bidding war 9 times out of 10.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make this deal. But I'm thinking Holland hangs on to all assets in hopes of landing a D-man.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#39 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Part of me wonders how accurate this rumor is. In my mind, this is just hopeful speculation from a writer working out of a city that badly needs a #1/#2 center now that Spezza's out for most of the year.

+ Brian Murray likes to trade pro-actively. Kenny? Not so much. Detroit loses this bidding war 9 times out of 10.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make this deal. But I'm thinking Holland hangs on to all assets in hopes of landing a D-man.

trade nyquist and a 2nd rounder for him, then sign him, then trade him for a good dman. problem solved, holland take notes 

#40 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

emmerton/tatar & 3rd pick for rights....

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1