• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/1 GDT : Blues 3 at Red Wings 5 (Z with Hat Trick)

Rate this topic

What's sad is in the Philly game Erskine threw an elbow that almost KO'd Simmonds. No call on the play.

Through the magic of video replay...from NHL:

Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine has been suspended for three games for elbowing Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds in NHL Game No. 101 in Washington on Friday, February 1, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Hasn't been a good "season" for Simmonds

Honest question: Now that the match penalty has been rescinded and the penalty is off the books, do Backes' penalty minutes come off the fantasy hockey league's scoresheet? I don't do FHLs but I know that after the game one friend picked up a lot of PIMs for what was called at the time. Anyone have him and seen the PIMS come off their score?

Dude, it was a clean, hard hockey hit. Backes was just playing hard. Huskins needs to pay attention to what is going on.

Blues got jobbed. Don't try to rationalize the call. You can't rationalize the irrational.

The Blues still may have lost the game if not for the PP...it just sucks that the call was horrible, it was made late in a tie game, and it resulted in the game winning goal for Detroit.

In years past if the Blues were to lose a game like this to Detroit, I'd probably be more upset because we'd probably be trailing you guys by at least a few points at this point in the season...but being up by 3 points still...it makes it sting a little less. Still pissed though.

you realize that aside from it being a bad call the blues got away with so many penalties in the game right? It evened itself out in the end

What's sad is in the Philly game Erskine threw an elbow that almost KO'd Simmonds. No call on the play.

People will always complain about officiating, but having watched hockey a lot of years, the quality of reffing really seems to have deteriorated in the last few.

Terrible call by the refs against St. Louis, but Backes is a prick so it's hard to feel that bad.

I'm curious as to why you feel Backes is a prick.

First of all I'm not a dude! Second of all it was the wrong call but at the time it appeared to the refs that he hit him in the head. They were wrong and nothing has come out of it so GET OVER IT! Anyway, Backes is a douchebag and I stand by my opinion of him. If it were the other way around you'd be singing a different tune

Get over it? It was a horrible call that directly led to the game winning goal late in the 3rd period. No. I will not get over it for a while. Especially since the Blues have a couple more days off. It's my right as a fan to be pissed when my team gets jobbed.

Why all of the hate towards Backes? I can see disliking a guy if he has burned your team in the past, but all of the "prick" and "douchebag" comments? I don't get it. Where does that come from? Because he plays physical? I'm curious...simply because of the fact he is NOT, a douchebag. Hmmm...

I'm curious as to why you feel Backes is a prick.

Because I've seen him play.

Get over it? It was a horrible call that directly led to the game winning goal late in the 3rd period. No. I will not get over it for a while. Especially since the Blues have a couple more days off. It's my right as a fan to be pissed when my team gets jobbed.

Why all of the hate towards Backes? I can see disliking a guy if he has burned your team in the past, but all of the "prick" and "douchebag" comments? I don't get it. Where does that come from? Because he plays physical? I'm curious...simply because of the fact he is NOT, a douchebag. Hmmm...

That's not actually a fact. That's your opinion as a Blues fan.

Really? Wow. Doesn't take much, does it?

You guys must hate Tootoo with a passion then.

Nope, sure doesn't.

And we Tootoo is awesome, because he's a wing.

It's called being a fan.

Because I've seen him play.

That's not actually a fact. That's your opinion as a Blues fan.

Do you honestly think your opinion of what kind of a player Backes is carries more weight than mine?

That's interesting.

Nope, sure doesn't.

And we Tootoo is awesome, because he's a wing.

It's called being a fan.

All I'm saying is, using that video as "proof" that Backes is some kind of dirty douchebag of a player, is ridiculous.

I'm not above admitting a Blues player is dirty if he really is. But, sorry, Backes isn't a dirty player.

Backes had 1 major penalty last year, 0 game misconducts. Hell, Zetterburg had more game misconducts last year than Backes.

What's interesting is that your a fan of a team who has never win a championship.

What's interesting is your use of "your".

Found this take on David Backes. I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.

From Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/puck-daddy-chats-with-david-backes-about-hypocrisy-on-head-shots-shanahan-videos-nhl-all-star-draft-and-blues-captaincy?urn=nhl,wp14299

Backes is known as one of the NHL's top power forwards and hardest hitters. What he isn't known for: Being a dirty player, or a player that runs afoul of the League's supplemental discipline system. It's something Backes takes pride in, while having little respect for players that play recklessly.

Wait, a guy wrote an article on yahoo mentioning Backes isn't a dirty player?? Well that changes my mind completely. :P

Backes is a prick. That doesn't mean he's not a good player. And if you spent time here other than to respond to some perceived injustice perpetrated against the Blues, you would've seen the Tootoo signing got mixed reactions to say the least. Tootoo is absolutely a dirty player who I'm hoping gets it together and learns to be a little more defensively responsible while with the Wings.

Do you honestly think your opinion of what kind of a player Backes is carries more weight than mine?

That's interesting.

If it carries so much less weight than yours, than why are you spending so much time trying to refute it?

You don't think Backes is dirty or a prick. Since you're a Blues fan that's not surprising. Since I'm a Wings fan my opinion shouldn't be all that shocking either. I'm not exactly losing sleep over our difference of opinion.

There's no year shown as to when that article was written? Interesting.

It had to be October of 2011, because they talked about Perron being out with a concussion and he returned later that season.

Again, I don't see your purpose (cprice12) in coming on this site. Are you a closet Wings fan or just like to put in your 2 cents in as you feel like it when the Blues play the Wings and mysteriously disappear again.

I've been here for a long, long time.

I post when I find things I want to comment on...and usually it is when the Blues and Wings play. Does that confuse you? Seems pretty understandable to me.

I always find it odd when someone questions why I (a Blues fan) am here, posting in a Blues-Wings gameday thread. Dumb question.

Okay, that about wraps that up. Let's discuss the game or offshoots thereof, please, not why someone posts here or doesn't or justifying your existence. None of those subjects belongs in this thread.

If you don't like someone posting here, put them on ignore. If someone questions your existence, ignore them or respond in PMs.

Game day threads are about the game.

Thanks.

Wait, a guy wrote an article on yahoo mentioning Backes isn't a dirty player?? Well that changes my mind completely. :P

Backes is a prick. That doesn't mean he's not a good player. And if you spent time here other than to respond to some perceived injustice perpetrated against the Blues, you would've seen the Tootoo signing got mixed reactions to say the least. Tootoo is absolutely a dirty player who I'm hoping gets it together and learns to be a little more defensively responsible while with the Wings.

If it carries so much less weight than yours, than why are you spending so much time trying to refute it?

You don't think Backes is dirty or a prick. Since you're a Blues fan that's not surprising. Since I'm a Wings fan my opinion shouldn't be all that shocking either. I'm not exactly losing sleep over our difference of opinion.

A guy? That's Wyshynski (Puck Daddy). He's a well known and respected hockey writer. I would have thought you'd have known that. And that "guy" happens to also not think Backes is dirty, and actually stated he was the polar opposite of the type of player you think he is. Which is why I posted it. My opinion was apparently tossed aside because I am a Blues fan...but you guys will have to find another reason to toss out Wyshynski's opinion, since he is a Devil's fan. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I can understand not liking Backes from a competitive standpoint. He plays hard, he hits hard, he's physical, he puts up decent offensive numbers and he is the captain of a division rival. I respect that completely. What I find ridiculous is the constant flow of comments saying that Backes is a prick, is dirty, or whatever...and using that misinformed opinion to try and justify the horrible call against him the other night.

Edited by cprice12

A guy? That's Wyshynski (Puck Daddy). He's a well known and respected hockey writer. I would have thought you'd have known that. And that "guy" happens to also not think Backes is dirty, and actually stated he was the polar opposite of the type of player you think he is. Which is why I posted it. My opinion was apparently tossed aside because I am a Blues fan...but you guys will have to find another reason to toss out Wyshynski's opinion, since he is a Devil's fan. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I can understand not liking Backes from a competitive standpoint. He plays hard, he hits hard, he's physical, he puts up decent offensive numbers and he is the captain of a division rival. I respect that completely. What I find ridiculous is the constant flow of comments saying that Backes is a prick, is dirty, or whatever...and using that misinformed opinion to try and justify the horrible call against him the other night.

I know who Wyshynski is. I wouldn't rank him quite as high and respected as you apparently do. He's basically a blogger who consolidates things he's read elsewhere and chimes in his two cents, but my apologies for referring to him as "a guy" and not "The Great and Respected Blogger..." He's also been a pretty clear fan of Backes for a while now. My point is you digging up some random article on yahoo where he mentions Backes isn't dirty as if that's some irrefutable evidence.

I've made no claims about Backes hit the other night. That was a terrible call. That doesn't change my opinion that Backes is a prick and often plays at and sometimes over the line. So like I said originally, when he gets a 5 minute major he didn't deserve for that hit, I certainly don't feel too bad for him. It's not the first time Backes has thrown that type of hit. This one was clean but he's had a few that are borderline late on a defenseman who's made a pass up ice. He comes east west and drills them after the puck is gone and they're looking up ice at the play.

That's not a misinformed opinion by the way, it's just one you don't agree with.

I know who Wyshynski is. I wouldn't rank him quite as high and respected as you apparently do. He's basically a blogger who consolidates things he's read elsewhere and chimes in his two cents, but my apologies for referring to him as "a guy" and not "The Great and Respected Blogger..." He's also been a pretty clear fan of Backes for a while now. My point is you digging up some random article on yahoo where he mentions Backes isn't dirty as if that's some irrefutable evidence.

I've made no claims about Backes hit the other night. That was a terrible call. That doesn't change my opinion that Backes is a prick and often plays at and sometimes over the line. So like I said originally, when he gets a 5 minute major he didn't deserve for that hit, I certainly don't feel too bad for him. It's not the first time Backes has thrown that type of hit. This one was clean but he's had a few that are borderline late on a defenseman who's made a pass up ice. He comes east west and drills them after the puck is gone and they're looking up ice at the play.

That's not a misinformed opinion by the way, it's just one you don't agree with.

Well, I'm not the one ranking Wyshynski high. He's a respected hockey writer/blogger for Yahoo...I guess just not respected by you, which is convenient for you in this discussion.

I don't read the guy every day, but when I do, I usually enjoy his takes on things. It just came up right away when I did a quick search, and I thought it was funny how much it applied to this discussion, and how much he completely contradicted your (and some others here) opinion of Backes...so, like the thorough guy I am, I shared it.

You see Backes play a few games a year and form your opinion based on that. Understandable.

I see him play every game, every year and also spend time analyzing the Blues for my site and our podcast. So I'm going to defer to my own opinion of him over yours...or even Wyshynski for that matter, since I see Backes play a lot more than he does.

Maybe you just don't like Backes for various, understandable, divison rival-type reasons...but we're going to have to disagree on your idea that he is a dirty player. He has had some questionable hits in the past, like any player has who plays the game hard and plays a very physical game...that can't be avoided. But by saying he is dirty, you are saying he goes out looking to hurt other players, which just isn't the case at all. He doesn't have that type of reputation anywhere (except in here). With that said, I'm not going to pretend he is an angel out there either. He plays with an edge and it's not beyond him to give someone a shot, but to me, that falls under the "that's hockey" category, and is something you see everyone do from time to time...and it's never (at least not that I recall) an intent to injure.

Maybe we just disagree on the definition of "dirty player".

Well, I'm not the one ranking Wyshynski high. He's a respected hockey writer/blogger for Yahoo...I guess just not respected by you, which is convenient for you in this discussion.

I don't read the guy every day, but when I do, I usually enjoy his takes on things. It just came up right away when I did a quick search, and I thought it was funny how much it applied to this discussion, and how much he completely contradicted your (and some others here) opinion of Backes...so, like the thorough guy I am, I shared it.

You see Backes play a few games a year and form your opinion based on that. Understandable.

I see him play every game, every year and also spend time analyzing the Blues for my site and our podcast. So I'm going to defer to my own opinion of him over yours...or even Wyshynski for that matter, since I see Backes play a lot more than he does.

Maybe you just don't like Backes for various, understandable, divison rival-type reasons...but we're going to have to disagree on your idea that he is a dirty player. He has had some questionable hits in the past, like any player has who plays the game hard and plays a very physical game...that can't be avoided. But by saying he is dirty, you are saying he goes out looking to hurt other players, which just isn't the case at all. He doesn't have that type of reputation anywhere (except in here). With that said, I'm not going to pretend he is an angel out there either. He plays with an edge and it's not beyond him to give someone a shot, but to me, that falls under the "that's hockey" category, and is something you see everyone do from time to time...and it's never (at least not that I recall) an intent to injure.

Maybe we just disagree on the definition of "dirty player".

I think when you break a guys neck with a questionable hit, then you taunt him next time you play him saying you'll do it again, you're pretty much a dirty player, and definitely a prick (Yes, I know he denied it, but he did admit to telling Sprunger to "keep his head up out there" which is basically the same thing, so spare me). There's a lot of stuff I chalk up to "that's hockey" but Backes still stands out from most players in those kinds of incidents. Like I said, he plays on and sometimes over the line. He's not Matt Cooke (or how cooke used to be) but he's a prick.

agree to disagree i guess. If you're so sound in your opinion I don't know why you keep going on about mine.

If you're so sound in your opinion I don't know why you keep going on about mine.

Because I like to debate. Isn't that obvious? :cheesy:

Yeah, I dunno...the Sprunger hit isn't a great example to try and prove Backes is a dirty player. It was a fast, bang, bang play where the players went into the boards goofy, with the puck right there. That was just an unfortunate play for Sprunger. Hockey is a violent game. Players get hurt sometimes, especially if you have your head down. It doesn't automatically mean the guy who dished the hit out is dirty. A penalty for a hit to the head, sure...but I don't even think Backes had time to think about it as he was playing the puck a millisecond before he collided with Sprunger.

Edited by cprice12