Photo
- - - - -

2/1 GDT : Blues 3 at Red Wings 5 (Z with Hat Trick)

gdt

• Please log in to reply
689 replies to this topic

#641 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

its pretty bad when the refs basically handed the Wings this game with that horrible call. 

I'm afraid you wouldn't make much of a Pens fan.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#642 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

its pretty bad when the refs basically handed the Wings this game with that horrible call. 

It was a horrible call but they all even out.  The match penalty was just rescinded so that all is good in hockey land.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#643 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

What I think is that refs were trying to give the game to Blues with that call. They knew that Wings PP is bad and killing a 5-minute penalty is a great confidence builder and a momentum shifter. Datsyuk just went and blew the refs' plan with that snipe.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#644 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Too bad Colaiacovo couldn't take part in the win.

#645 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Bad call on Backes. But you know what? f*** Backes. He looked like he was trying to kill Huskins. The call may have been all kings of incompetent, but it's not like Backes was innocent. In fact, Backes, IMO is a prick.

/rant
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#646 Jack T Adams

Jack T Adams

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Bad call on Backes. But you know what? f*** Backes. He looked like he was trying to kill Huskins. The call may have been all kings of incompetent, but it's not like Backes was innocent. In fact, Backes, IMO is a prick.

/rant

Please. Tootoo did the same kind of legal hockey check to Polak. If you watch a pass and don't brace for contact there is an increased chance to get hurt. There was nothing wrong with either hit. It's part of the game.

#647 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

/rant

This^

#648 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

From NHL:

The National Hockey League rescinded the match penalty assessed to St. Louis Blues forward David Backes in the game Friday night against the Detroit Red Wings.

Best. Officials. Ever.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#649 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

This^

Dude, it was a clean, hard hockey hit.  Backes was just playing hard.  Huskins needs to pay attention to what is going on.

Blues got jobbed.  Don't try to rationalize the call.  You can't rationalize the irrational.

The Blues still may have lost the game if not for the PP...it just sucks that the call was horrible, it was made late in a tie game, and it resulted in the game winning goal for Detroit.

In years past if the Blues were to lose a game like this to Detroit, I'd probably be more upset because we'd probably be trailing you guys by at least a few points at this point in the season...but being up by 3 points still...it makes it sting a little less.  Still pissed though.

#650 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

It was an absolutely horrible call and I hate it when we score on cheap PP's, but honestly, a little part of me was happy to see a trashy reputation call against the other team for a change.  Nice to know the refs are spreading the joy around a little since Homer retired.  

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#651 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

From NHL:

Best. Officials. Ever.

What's sad is in the Philly game Erskine threw an elbow that almost KO'd Simmonds.  No call on the play.  

People will always complain about officiating, but having watched hockey a lot of years, the quality of reffing really seems to have deteriorated in the last few.  

Terrible call by the refs against St. Louis,  but Backes is a prick so it's hard to feel that bad. 

#652 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Dude, it was a clean, hard hockey hit.  Backes was just playing hard.  Huskins needs to pay attention to what is going on.

Blues got jobbed.  Don't try to rationalize the call.  You can't rationalize the irrational.

The Blues still may have lost the game if not for the PP...it just sucks that the call was horrible, it was made late in a tie game, and it resulted in the game winning goal for Detroit.

In years past if the Blues were to lose a game like this to Detroit, I'd probably be more upset because we'd probably be trailing you guys by at least a few points at this point in the season...but being up by 3 points still...it makes it sting a little less.  Still pissed though.

Agreed. I think the Red Wings were going to win though either way honestly. They had all the jump and momentum in the third. Plus, the Blues had no answer for Zetterberg at all.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#653 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Do you hear what I hear ("Elliott") at 0:20 in the TSN.ca video recap of the game?

WTF was that?

#654 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Please. Tootoo did the same kind of legal hockey check to Polak. If you watch a pass and don't brace for contact there is an increased chance to get hurt. There was nothing wrong with either hit. It's part of the game.

Agreed and Backes is still a prick :w00t:

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#655 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

First of all I'm not a dude!  Second of all it was the wrong call but at the time it appeared to the refs that he hit him in the head.  They were wrong and nothing has come out of it so GET OVER IT!  Anyway, Backes is a douchebag and I stand by my opinion of him.  If it were the other way around you'd be singing a different tune

Edited by vladdy16, 02 February 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#656 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

What's sad is in the Philly game Erskine threw an elbow that almost KO'd Simmonds.  No call on the play.  

Through the magic of video replay...from NHL:

Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine has been suspended for three games for elbowing Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds in NHL Game No. 101 in Washington on Friday, February 1, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Hasn't been a good "season" for Simmonds

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#657 Jack T Adams

Jack T Adams

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Honest question: Now that the match penalty has been rescinded and the penalty is off the books, do Backes' penalty minutes come off the fantasy hockey league's scoresheet?  I don't do FHLs but I know that after the game one friend picked up a lot of PIMs for what was called at the time.  Anyone have him and seen the PIMS come off their score?

#658 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

you realize that aside from it being a bad call the blues got away with so many penalties in the game right? It evened itself out in the end

#659 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

People will always complain about officiating, but having watched hockey a lot of years, the quality of reffing really seems to have deteriorated in the last few.  

Terrible call by the refs against St. Louis,  but Backes is a prick so it's hard to feel that bad. 

I'm curious as to why you feel Backes is a prick.

#660 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

I'm curious as to why you feel Backes is a prick.

one of many