• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

Gustavsson's Lingering Groin

Rate this topic

Buried in a Freep story about Ian White's eventual return was this nugget from Babcock about Gustavsson:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130201/SPORTS05/130201046/1053/rss17

And as for backup goaltender Jonas Gustavsson and his groin injury, "There doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. Whitey is the only one making any noise."

Obviously, groin injuries are a big deal for goaltenders, but this is starting to sound like months, not weeks. Unfortunate because McCollum is not ready by any stretch of the imagination, MacDonald's got that back injury dating back to 10 months ago, and the Wings schedule in February will be BRUTAL. I count 8 games that are back-to-back and many others on two days rest. So that's at least 4 games that Monster probably would've played for Howard. Seriously, any type of injury to Howard right about now, and this season could come off the rails in a hurry.

Edited by StormJH1

With a short season, a lot of injuries are expected... I really do not expect much from the Wings this year due to this, but we shall see how the tending works out... This team really never rode one goalie and I think hat was the reason for being successful in the past; of course just my view

Be kidding, please.

I'm not kidding, but I can't seem to locate it, or anything related to it, so maybe I am wrong, I hope I am

"Gustavsson's Lingering Groin" would make a great band name. Just sayin'.

So would Zetterberg's coconut balls :P

Throw Mrazek into the fire if you have too. Better then giving McCollum a start (dear god) and Joey isn't any closer to coming back then Gus like what was stated. We can't ride the hell out of Howard like last year, because he'll get hurt again. And if Howard gets hurt during a 48 game season, say goodnight.

Guest RedWingsDad

"Gustavsson's Lingering Groin" would make a great band name. Just sayin'.

Or a spooky story.

How come so many NHL teams have goalies in the minors no one has heard of, who can instantly come into the lineup and hold their own? We see that every year from several teams.

Yet, this team has McCollum to fall back on from the AHL. Figures.

The Wings need to do a better job developing goalies in their farm system. Then we don't have to scramble for s***ty or injured backups every year.

How come so many NHL teams have goalies in the minors no one has heard of, who can instantly come into the lineup and hold their own? We see that every year from several teams.

The Wings need to do a better job developing goalies in their farm system. Then we don't have to scramble for s***ty or injured backups every year.

2d65574b584d333fc73f9228b215eab4.png

Hasn't McCollum been playing pretty well in the AHL lately? Then there's Mrazek. We've also had McDonald who has jumped in and played great for us when Howie's been injured.

I pray Howard's body holds up, but sooner or later he needs a rest anyway. If Gus is out a long time it's a great time for McCollum or Mrazek to prove themselves.

Hasn't McCollum been playing pretty well in the AHL lately? Then there's Mrazek. We've also had McDonald who has jumped in and played great for us when Howie's been injured.

I pray Howard's body holds up, but sooner or later he needs a rest anyway. If Gus is out a long time it's a great time for McCollum or Mrazek to prove themselves.

McCollum is there just in case, they know he is not good, I feel if howie needs a night off they will bring Mrazek in to sit between the pipes considering he is much better than McCollum. MacDonald is still suffering from that back injury he suffered last year, which is why McCollum is up.

I thought I read somewhere that Jimmy is injured and won't be in tonight, I will see about locating the article...

This is all I can find - from and article in the Freep (Saturday's edition) titled "Jimmy Howard grinds it out night after night as only healthy Red Wings goaltender."

Coach Mike Babcock said Howard will get his eighth straight start of the season tonight at Columbus.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130202/SPORTS05/302020031/Jimmy-Howard-grinds-it-out-night-after-night-as-only-healthy-Red-Wings-goaltender?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit%20Red%20Wings

Edited by Rebound

I don't know...I'd hate to throw Petr in there just yet. I'm sure he would relish the challenge but... hate to ruin his confidence if it doesn't go well. Then again, I'm not sure that Petr is that kind of person that wouldn't just bounce right back and shrug it off..

Edited by Hockeymom1960