• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Is Todd Bertuzzi our super backup if all else fails? I vaguely recall Ken and Micky mentioning this at one point years ago...

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

How come so many NHL teams have goalies in the minors no one has heard of, who can instantly come into the lineup and hold their own?  We see that every year from several teams.    

Yet, this team has McCollum to fall back on from the AHL.  Figures.  

The Wings need to do a better job developing goalies in their farm system.  Then we don't have to scramble for s***ty or injured backups every year.  

Hasn't McCollum been playing pretty well in the AHL lately? Then there's Mrazek. We've also had McDonald who has jumped in and played great for us when Howie's been injured. 

I pray Howard's body holds up, but sooner or later he needs a rest anyway. If Gus is out a long time it's a great time for McCollum or Mrazek to prove themselves. 

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hasn't McCollum been playing pretty well in the AHL lately? Then there's Mrazek. We've also had McDonald who has jumped in and played great for us when Howie's been injured. 

I pray Howard's body holds up, but sooner or later he needs a rest anyway. If Gus is out a long time it's a great time for McCollum or Mrazek to prove themselves. 

McCollum is there just in case, they know he is not good, I feel if howie needs a night off they will bring Mrazek in to sit between the pipes considering he is much better than McCollum. MacDonald is still suffering from that back injury he suffered last year, which is why McCollum is up.

#24 Rebound

Rebound

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I thought I read somewhere that Jimmy is injured and won't be in tonight, I will see about locating the article...

This is all I can find - from and article in the Freep (Saturday's edition) titled "Jimmy Howard grinds it out night after night as only healthy Red Wings goaltender."

Coach Mike Babcock said Howard will get his eighth straight start of the season tonight at Columbus.

http://www.freep.com...troit Red Wings

Edited by Rebound, 02 February 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#25 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I don't know...I'd hate to throw Petr in there just yet.  I'm sure he would relish the challenge but... hate to ruin his confidence if it doesn't go well.  Then again, I'm not sure that Petr is that kind of person that wouldn't just bounce right back and shrug it off..

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 02 February 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I don't know...I'd hate to throw Petr in there just yet.  I'm sure he would relish the challenge but... hate to ruin his confidence if it doesn't go well.  Then again, I'm not sure that Petr is that kind of person that wouldn't just bounce right back and shrug it off..

But if he got rocked in a game at nhl level don't you think that would moreso motivate him to fix the aspects of his game that weren't nhl ready and give him a better idea of what they were?

#27 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

But if he got rocked in a game at nhl level don't you think that would moreso motivate him to fix the aspects of his game that weren't nhl ready and give him a better idea of what they were?

Well I sure hope it would. 

#28 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Put in McCollum or Mrazek, its time. Remember when the Caps were forced to call up Holtby a couple seasons back? He was 17-10-2 in the AHL, then went 10-2-2 when called up to the NHL. Sometimes the big league brings out the best in the kids. 

#29 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Put in McCollum or Mrazek, its time. Remember when the Caps were forced to call up Holtby a couple seasons back? He was 17-10-2 in the AHL, then went 10-2-2 when called up to the NHL. Sometimes the big league brings out the best in the kids. 

Yeah and now I hear he is sucking :(

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Having heard about all of his physical and psychological woes while in Toronto, I didn't think too much of this signing.

Nothing worse than a backup goaltender who's hurt most of the time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#31 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Mrazek called up to the wings.. Could end up starting a game. But also, this is a better sign than I've seen yet....

"@DetroitRedWings: Gustavsson, Samuelsson, Mursak and Colaiacovo all skated and did drills before practice this morning. http://t.co/0KZsuT5j"

(Via DRW twitter)

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Mrazek called up to the wings.. Could end up starting a game. But also, this is a better sign than I've seen yet....

"@DetroitRedWings: Gustavsson, Samuelsson, Mursak and Colaiacovo all skated and did drills before practice this morning. http://t.co/0KZsuT5j"

(Via DRW twitter)

That is a good sign,but I sincerely doubt they will be ready to go this week, here's to hoping though!

#33 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

A blessing in disguise

#34 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

That is a good sign,but I sincerely doubt they will be ready to go this week, here's to hoping though!

They're going to have to do something soon before Howard ends up starting the first 20 games in a row.  The man is gonna need a break at some point before we gas him going into the post season. 

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

They're going to have to do something soon before Howard ends up starting the first 20 games in a row.  The man is gonna need a break at some point before we gas him going into the post season. 

Thats why they brought Mrazek up