• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Cleary's on the PP to do the net front presence. During practices he can rail deflections like no other(well, I lied, there are better :P). He normally is a workhorse and can hold his own in front of the net. Is it working? Not really. The dude's banged up but to say he isn't trying out there is insane. He's trying as hard as he can, putting it all on the ice. I'm not a cleary lover, and I certainly can agree with some points, but you gotta give him SOMETHING.  

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Zetterberg runs the PP, he's usually the one with the puck.

Geeze, reading these comments you'd think the Wings were 2-4-1, and not 4-2-1 (4-1-1 after the 6-0 blowout in St. Louis).

Like I've been saying, this is a fun team to watch, just sit back and enjoy.

Well as far as the PP goes, it's still incredibly s***ty. Fact is if we can improve on our special teams this is not a bad team at all, as 5-on-5 we've been doing quite well this season. 

Kronwall has been making some very bad decisions on the point, but he's still our best PP defenseman. Personally I think that if we have both Pav and Z on the same PP unit, Z should man the point with Pav controlling the play down low or along the sidewall. Brunner should either be in front of the net getting deflections/rebounds, or atleast be hanging around the slot/circles ready for one timers. He's not terrible at the point, but I feel he's somewhat wasted in that position. 

#23 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Why is he on the team?  

As I said in the GDT, if we don't have anyone in the minors who can offer more than him, then we have the worst farm team in hockey.  

Andersson would be great on a bottom 6 position.

#24 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I love Danny Boy but I also agree his ship has sailed.  The funny thing is he will have 2-3 flashes a game where I think he still might have it and then he completely f's that up again.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Put Ericsson on the point.  

He does have a hard shot, so maybe he's finally learned how to aim.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Put Ericsson on the point.  

He does have a hard shot, so maybe he's finally learned how to aim.

He did last night. :siren:

#27 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I know it isn't the easiest thing to accomplish, but Kronwall has to improve at getting pucks through to the net. He has shot a lot into traffic this season. Lidstrom was the best at it, but I kinda expected Kronwall to be stronger at that than he has shown so far.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#28 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Cleary should not be on the starting roster let alone power play. Our 2nd pp unit seems so out of sync this year. Smith just needs some time but I believe eventually he could be rock solid for us.

#29 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I remember when a couple of years ago when Cleary was one of the most popular players on the team. While I agree he should not be on the PP, he sure as hell deserves to be in the lineup. So many legendary playoff moments with Dan screw the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

#30 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I remember when a couple of years ago when Cleary was one of the most popular players on the team. While I agree he should not be on the PP, he sure as hell deserves to be in the lineup. So many legendary playoff moments with Dan screw the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

Unfortunately when even the coaches say the best players play, there has to be someone you can make a case for thats been better the cleary. If thats not the case, wings need a better bottom 6. It's a "what have you done for me lately" expectation, because if there wasn't one, i then ask where the hell did drapes go?!?!

#31 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't think the Draper comparison is a good one...its not like the fans ran him out of town or anything. He retired on his own good merit I'm pretty sure

#32 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Same thing with Emmerton.  

Do we not have anyone in the minors who can play center better than Emmerton?  If not, we're in deep trouble for the future.

Sheahan. And in place of Cleary we have Nyquist. Our PP QB as stated earlier in the thread is White, whom is quite capable so there's no need to go get anyone.

When healthy, 1st PP stays as is. 2nd PP:

Nyquist/Eaves-Flip-Tuzzi
White-Ericsson(big shot and responsible defensively to not give up shorties)

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.