• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/2 GDT : Red Wings 2 at Blue Jackets 4

Rate this topic

But we'd be much better off with those 6 and 7 million dollar goalies. We're not the team anymore that scores 3+ goals a game and gives up around 25 shots. We need a goalie to carry this team.

Look at his save percentage this season. I realize the defense is terrible, but that's what great goalies do. They carry their teams into the playoffs. Howard is a solid netminder, but he's not elite enough for a team that doesn't have enough around him.

It all comes back to Kenny and the mediocre roster he allowed us to be left with.

The goalie is only as good as the team and system in front of him.

Why else do you think Hitchcock has a Vezina candidate every year? Coindence?

What goalie do you want? Lundqvist, Rinne, Kiprusoff, Hiller and Miller are both "elite goalies" that have worse stats then Howard even though he's been mediocre.

Honestly a goalie isn't going to be elite without a great team/system in front of him. Unless you are talking about Hasek, or seemingly one year wonders like Mason, Smith etc.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

that 2nd powerplay unit is the worst the wings have iced in a couple decades

just laughably bad.

But we'd be much better off with those 6 and 7 million dollar goalies. We're not the team anymore that scores 3+ goals a game and gives up around 25 shots. We need a goalie to carry this team.

Look at his save percentage this season. I realize the defense is terrible, but that's what great goalies do. They carry their teams into the playoffs despite crappy play around them. Howard is a solid netminder, but he's not elite enough for a team that doesn't have enough talent surrounding him.

It all comes back to Kenny and the mediocre roster he allowed us to be left with.

Clearly, or Cleary? ;)

:eh:

Today?

I'm pretty sure you would find a way to be negative in a swimming pool full of naked women and 100 dollar bills

You are clearly behind. The Stanley Cup Champions last season had the 16th best record in the league. Mediocrity can win a Stanley Cup in today's NHL.

The goalie is only as good as the team and system in front of him.

Why else do you think Hitchcock has a Vezina candidate every year? Coindence?

What goalie do you want? Lundqvist, Rinne, Kiprusoff, Hiller and Miller are both "elite goalies" that have worse stats then Howard even though he's been mediocre.

Honestly a goalie isn't going to be elite without a great team/system in front of him. Unless you are talking about Hasek, or seemingly one year wonders like Mason, Smith etc.

So you don't think there's a valid reason why Howard gets paid way less money than the top goalies?

You are clearly behind. The Stanley Cup Champions last season had the 16th best record in the league. Mediocrity can win a Stanley Cup in today's NHL.

Their roster was much better than ours. They underachieved in the regular season.

They had a great top 6 that could score many goals. Better than our top 6. Also, they had a real number one d-man in Doughty and a top notch goalie in Quick. Do we have that?

Also, their bottom lines outworked the opposition in the playoffs and wore teams down. Do we have a bottom 6 that can wear teams down and outwork them in a seven game series?

Teams win in the playoffs either with great offensive talent, or with tight checking/solid defense and a hot goalie. As I said many games ago, we don't have any of that, and are still searching for an identity.

:lol:

Doubt it. Take me there, and I'll see if you're right.

If I knew of this magical place I most likely wouldn't take you. You would complain the water is too cold or the 100 dollar bills are fake

So you don't think there's a valid reason why Howard gets paid way less money than the top goalies?

Yeah, because when he signed his last deal he had only 2 seasons of play to negotiate on...

Yeah, because when he signed his last deal he had only 2 seasons of play to negotiate on...

Well, I doubt he'll get it when his next deal is up.

Besides, how many years did Rinne have before he negotiated his deal? I don't remember him being a veteran.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

worst special teams in the league, ladies and gentlemen.

Well, I doubt he'll get it when his next deal is up.

Besides, how many years did Rinne have before he negotiated his deal? I don't remember him being a veteran.

He had 4 seasons and about 100 more games before his big deal.

He had 4 seasons and about 100 more games before his big deal.

Well, he's proved more deserving. Howard hasn't been bad, but we need him to be a thief and steal games and points. Instead, he gives up two questionable goals and now we're in a hole.

Part of me says he needs to be more consistent, but part of me realizes he's not paid like a star. It's like expecting Filppula to put up 80 points. He is what he is.