• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

My list of games that I anticipated were mostly Batman Arkham Origins, and Final Fantasy X HD.

Batman got terrible reviews, which is not fair to the game.  Most of the poor reviews claimed that the gameplay was too similar to previous games in the series.  Yet Call of Duty gets 9s and 10s every time, and it's always the same damn game.  Anywho, financial constraints prevented me from getting this one as of yet, though.

Final Fantasy X got bumped back to 2014.

Long story short, I didn't play even one 2013 game this year...

FFX HD? Do you know if they have/are doing the same for VII and VIII, or even III? I've always thought those were more popular?

#22 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

FFX HD? Do you know if they have/are doing the same for VII and VIII, or even III? I've always thought those were more popular?

Fans have long been clamoring for a remake of VII, but to the best of my knowledge, there are no plans announced for anything.

A remake of "X" makes sense because they're only really polishing up the game as it is, without having to do too much in the way of new scenes or gameplay. Some new music, polish up the graphics on the gameplay and the animation cutscenes, and it's done.

A VII remake would largely need to be a "from the ground up" new project, since it would need all new dialogue, cutscenes, gameplay, etc, due to the fact that it's a 16 year old game on a LONG outdated platform. While hardcore fans would certainly buy such a game, it's a lengthy (and expensive) project for SquareEnix to embark upon, and it may not attract enough of the newer generation of gamers (who seem to live only for new Call of Duty/Battlefield/GTA games).

And considering how BADLY they bumbled FFXIV, a large project such as a VII remake may not be too palatable for SE...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#23 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'd buy a HD remake of FFVII in a heartbeat, it was likely my favorite game on the original Playstation. 

Other companies attempted to do so, like Capcom remaking Resident Evil and RE2 on Gamecube and although the remake was pretty incredible (I purchased both) the sales just weren't there to justify the time and money it took to revamp it completely from the ground up. 

Now another example like Jedi is talking about above, is how they reformatted Resident Evil 4 and re-released it on the Xbox marketplace as a Game On Demand. They didn't have to change the game, the code, they just had to change the resolution, do some anti-aliasing work and resell it for $30. It was minimal effort but being the game itself was so brilliant it sold well and they profited from it. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users