38 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Cleary scored 33 points last year, one more than Selanne did with the lanche

Cleary's two best seasons were 46, and 42 points. 33 points was a decent season for him, even with the knee.

Selanne has hit 100+ points 3 times, is over a ppg for his career, and he got 40 goals and 90 points after his 32 point season. Like I said they are not comparable.

Edited by Euro_Twins, 03 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#22 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

A couple of years ago he scored 26 goals in 68 games and was leading the team in goals before getting injured

A couple of years ago I could fill up my car with 20 bucks......but thats never happening again

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Cleary's time with Detroit is just up...He may have some more to give, but he needs to give it elsewhere because the role he has been given here is not good for him. He is not a top 6 guy on this team, I wouldn't even give him top 9 minutes on this team.  He should move on to another team and maybe the fresh start will wake him up again.  He is in the same boat as Franzie, they both need to move on for a fresh start they are just dragging this team down. They need to go...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

The Selanne comparison doesn't work. Corset isn't just in a scoring rut. He is visibly struggling to play the game. I'm not anti-Cleary, but if his body needs a rest, bench him and use him on a rotational basis. Whether his decline is real or just a rut, he cannot currently hang with the opposition. He trained all year and conditioned himself, but it doesn't appear to have worked. I dont mind if he stays, but he isnt doing us any good playing every game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Something has to give with our bottom six on topic. Helmer helps no doubt when he's not "injured." But say he is. Bottom six can't do cow poo offensively.

#26 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Eaves-Abby-Cleary.  Put cleary in Homer's spot, seeing as he has no speed and seemingly no puck handling abilities

Miller-Emmerton-TooToo.  Miller's been running over opponents this year, and TooToo has been giving this team a desperately needed spark.  Combined, they might get Emmerton back up and moving again.  one can only hope.

Once Helm and Sammy get back, make it Eaves-Helm-Sammy and Miller-Abby-TooToo.  If Abdelkader gets his mad streak back, that 4th line could make it woeful for opposing teams.  WE NEED SOME WRECKERS.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#27 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

When did Miller ever run over someone this season?
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#28 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I think Cleary's biggest problem was that he didn't play during the lockout.  He seems weak and slow.  That's not to say that I don't htink he can retrieve some of his speed and strength as the year goes on but righ tnow he looks so far behind it's tough to even watch. 

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#29 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Remember when our third line was Samuelsson-Filppula-Hudler?

Those were the days...

#30 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

The Selanne comparison doesn't work. Corset isn't just in a scoring rut. He is visibly struggling to play the game. I'm not anti-Cleary, but if his body needs a rest, bench him and use him on a rotational basis. Whether his decline is real or just a rut, he cannot currently hang with the opposition. He trained all year and conditioned himself, but it doesn't appear to have worked. I dont mind if he stays, but he isnt doing us any good playing every game.

Yeah, sadly I agree.  Cleary is older now and has had a lot of knee problems and other injuries.  He's starting to get to that point where Holmstrom was about 2 or 3 years ago where the mediocre parts of his game are falling into "bad" territory, and his liabilities outweigh the potential offense he provides.  

Cleary is one of those guys that made the 2007-08 and 2008-09 SCF teams so compelling.  I'll never forget in '09 that while Hossa's shoulder was hanging by a thread, Datsyuk's foot was messed up, and Lidstrom...well, you know...Dan Clearly almost single-handedly won some of those games to get us back to that 2nd Final.

Edited by StormJH1, 05 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, sadly I agree.  Cleary is older now and has had a lot of knee problems and other injuries.  He's starting to get to that point where Holmstrom was about 2 or 3 years ago where the mediocre parts of his game are falling into "bad" territory, and his liabilities outweigh the potential offense he provides.  

Cleary is one of those guys that made the 2007-08 and 2008-09 SCF teams so compelling.  I'll never forget in '09 that while Hossa's shoulder was hanging by a thread, Datsyuk's foot was messed up, and Lidstrom...well, you know...Dan Clearly almost single-handedly won some of those games to get us back to that 2nd Final.

This is why he is still on the roster, and as much as I like the loyalty the wings organization shows, enough is enough. You can't win on loyalty alone, and in a 48 game season, you don't have time to spare peoples feelings unfortunately

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Have they released the roster for tonight's game?  I'm curious what the forward lines will look like with Tatar in the mix.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Have they released the roster for tonight's game?  I'm curious what the forward lines will look like with Tatar in the mix.

He's going to start on the 2nd line w/ Pavs & Fil.  Should be....

Mule-Hank-Brunner

Fil-Pavs-Tatar

Bert-Abby-Cleary

Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I like Bert on that third line, should be a force on the cycle.  But I'd like Eaves over Cleary, given that Eaves has got a pretty good shot. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#35 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I like Bert on that third line, should be a force on the cycle.  But I'd like Eaves over Cleary, given that Eaves has got a pretty good shot. 

And the fact that unlike Cleary, Eaves actually has managed to put up a point this season despite not playing every game.  Babs really needs to pull the trigger on sitting Cleary soon if things don't change imo.

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I mean, I don't want to get too down on Cleary, the guy isn't scoring for s***, but he's been good on the PK and whatnot.  I just think that Eaves is better (right now) offensively and considering they're trying to spark the bottom six offense I think he makes sense. 

#37 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Cleary had just about played himself out of the league before the Wings gave him a camp invite so the Wings owe him nothing. He has been great at times since picked up but those days are done. He is taking dumb penalties as well.

#38 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Anytime our bottom six wants to start scoring. I'm OK with that. Maybe in the next ten games or so...maybe...

#39 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

We have a bottom six?