• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

And you thought only Holmstrom got hosed on Goalie Interference calls

Rate this topic

From Puck Daddy...

Early in the third period, with Silfverberg playing the net-front presence during some zone pressure, the Senators scored the game-tying goal. Then, in what appears to be another early contender for the worst call of the year, the officials said "no goal", claiming Silfverberg interfered with Carey Price. Except that he, uh, didn't appear to:

Yep. The goal wasn't just waved off, either. The Canadiens' got a powerplay out of that. I think we can stop feeling bad for Carey price for having the triple low-5 taken away. His fortune has turned.

Stop protecting these officials. I don't care about any of the usual BS excuses like the game is too fast or they can't get them all right. Blah blah, let's get a second or third or tenth pair of eyes on this. Make stuff like this reviewable, get a few officials watching screens if you have to, anything. We're so paranoid about slowing the game down that the eventual winner of the game will have no credibility.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Guest RedWingsDad

Memories of Homers goals getting called off induces feelings of rage. Injustice I say!!

WTH is the leagues explanation for these occurrences? If contact is made outside of the blue paint, there should be no call... if inside the blue paint... call a penalty. Is my rudimentary understanding of how these things are SUPPOSED to be handled off in some way?

Edited by RedWingsDad

Man, I know you aren't supposed to air your dirty laundry but the league might as well publicly address the gong show that is happening right now. Atleast let us know that you agree and can understand the frustration of the everything. This year's reffing is absolutely HORRIBLE. I know they're trying to promote more scoring and getting rid of the clutch and grab hockey but all these calls are simply slowing the game down. I can't remember if someone said it here or on HFB but I love the idea of having a overlook ref being all the way up top watching over the game. I believe if they atleast had 1-2 sets of eyes from an aerial view they would beable to clarify situations much better. Along with seeing things behind the play. I would say they could use headsets to communicate from ground level to aerial, but we can't even get the microphones for calling penalties to work.

The thread title is "and you thought ONLY Homer got hosed..."

After so many brutal calls against him, Homer getting hosed on goalie interference calls isn't even really up for debate.

I know, I can read, but I figured since homer was mentioned that I would post some videos of his ridiculous calls against him. I miss the guy :(

Kerry Fraser's take:

At the other end of the ice, I would have allowed

to stand when Carey Price moved to establish a position well outside of his goal crease and in the process "incidental" contact resulted withJakob Silfverberg. The Ottawa Sens forward was fronting the puck and positioned at least two to three feet outside of Price's goal crease.

As the shot came toward the goal, Silfverberg turned with the shot resulting in incidental contact between himself and Carey Price. The contact was initiated more by Carey Price than the actions of Silfverberg. Rule 69.1 supports this decision where it states, "Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

I believe Carey Price was the second most surprised player on the ice, after Jakob Silfverberg of course, when the Referee disallowed this goal and assessed a goalie interference penalty on the play.

Not a stellar night for contact in and around the goal crease.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=415224

Fraser certainly wasn't perfect in his days as a ref but even his worst day meets or exceeds some of the guys they got now. And Bill McCreary is sorely missed on the ice.

Fraser certainly wasn't perfect in his days as a ref but even his worst day meets or exceeds some of the guys they got now. And Bill McCreary is sorely missed on the ice.

This x100. I always respected Bill McCreary above all others. You may not have liked the fact that he nailed one of our players for a penalty, but there was never a doubt in my mind that it was the right call.

Stop protecting these officials. I don't care about any of the usual BS excuses like the game is too fast or they can't get them all right. Blah blah, let's get a second or third or tenth pair of eyes on this. Make stuff like this reviewable, get a few officials watching screens if you have to, anything. We're so paranoid about slowing the game down that the eventual winner of the game will have no credibility.

The amount of penalties called this year has been ridiculous. So sick of having 2 refs on the ice..go back to one set of eyes..so much of the time the ref closest to the play isn't even the one calling the penalty anyways. I agree with reviewing plays like goalie interference..if the goalie comes outside the blue paint the player should be able to stand right up against him as long as he's not pushing him out of position.

The amount of penalties called this year has been ridiculous. So sick of having 2 refs on the ice..go back to one set of eyes..so much of the time the ref closest to the play isn't even the one calling the penalty anyways. I agree with reviewing plays like goalie interference..if the goalie comes outside the blue paint the player should be able to stand right up against him as long as he's not pushing him out of position.

my buddy was texting me while i was at work telling me about one of the wings game, and he kept messaging me saying another penalty, wtf is wrong with the wings blah blah blah. I got home and watched the game and I almost had a fit at the so called "penalties". granted some were legit penalties, but most were so ridiculous, the refs need to take delay of game penalties for slowing the game down so much. Also THEY NEED TO STOP KICKING EVERYONE OUT OF FACEOFF CIRCLES ON EVERY PUCK DROP!!! I can't stress it enough, when a faceoff takes three minutes to drop a puck something is wrong.

The issue is that they are giving the benefit of the doubt to goalies and calling back goals. I've heard this discussed quick a bit lately. They have made some internal changes and are focused more on protecting the players, including goalies, but most people discussing think they have gone too far.

When it comes to goalie interferences, the thought that keeps coming up is "if there is any doubt, shouldn't you go with the goal, especially if the league is hurting for scoring". There was obviously no goal safety concerns there.

I think someone mentioned it here, but I'd be all for a rule that says contact inside the crease, no goal, contact outside the crease (unless it's a body check or something) good goal.

Uncle Gary says: "We have the best game officials of any sport".

It'd sound a lot like "fans have told me they think our officiating is top notch". Every time he has no evidence to back anything up, he begins a sentence with "I've been told by ___" or "fans have told me". Weasel words. From a weasel I 'spose.

We complained about dead puck, but I honestly had more fun watching hockey back then. Somehow we managed to get actual scoring chances, not just a game full of 26 shots, 20 of which were fired from a safe distance into a crowd of 5 guys collapsing their goalie.

These phantom calls are getting absurd! The amount of goals Homer had called off weren't, he would have his jersey retired! :lol: Ok, not really, but this is stupid. This above above all, should be a reviewable play same as if the puck was kicked in or if it crossed the line...

This one is more borderline but another waved off goal. IMO, Kopitar is out of the paint and it gets called because of Mason falling.

For fun listen to the Blue Jackets announcers. Those guys are awful.

LMAO at the blue jackets announcers!! :hysterical:

If the call was against them could you imagine what they would say?

That wasn't the right call imo, first off kopitar had a blue jacket right in front of him pushing him back, secondly mason fell on his own, and Kopitar didn't impede his movement. it's a good goal

Guest mjtm77

Price was a foot outside the blue paint and moving forward. What an awful, awful call.

There continues to be zero standard for what constitutes goaltender interference in the NHL.

zero standerd for what constitues a penalty.

that sharks series years back still haunts me......