Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I still hold out hope we can be a decent team this year, all we need is;

1. bench cleary, replace him with Tatar and bring up Nyquist
2. Bench Quincey, bring up ouellet, sproul, or almqvist
3. if helm won't be ready soon, package up a deal soon and trade for someone decent, defensively or offensively (ideally both)

You can't bring up up XO or Sproul. A2 is better offensively but he is no where near NHL ready defensively.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#442 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Tatar had a really good game. Shame he was 'rewarded' with being demoted to the 3rd line. Guessing he'll be sent down while Cleary is put in the top 6? Lol. 

Zetterberg's back must be hurting from carrying around the team night after night. A Zetterberg shift is usually a good shift for us. Problem is the other 3 shifts suck, with the occasional good Datsyuk shift. In all honesty Dats should have had a goal or two on those 2 big chances he had, if either had gone in it could have been a different game.

Getting tired of special teams dragging us down. Can't keep letting in 2-3 PK goals per game. Can't keep taking stupid penalties. Cleary, Quincey, Kronwall, I'm looking at you guys. 

PP is still an embarressment. Fluke goal tonight off a broken play, but otherwise it's not even giving us momentum. 

Why didn't Babs play Mrazek tonight? I'm not blaming this one Howard, but the guy needs a rest already. Is there another goalie in the league that has played every game so far? It would be okay to play him every game if it was giving results, but right now there's no point riding Howie 'til he breaks down. 

Hoping for a better effort next time. 

#443 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

This is exactly what annoys the hell out of me with the Wings, they beat St. Louis and fall to Columbus and Calgary.  

Best get used to that, we're going to see a lot of it this season :)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#444 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Tatar had a really good game. Shame he was 'rewarded' with being demoted to the 3rd line. Guessing he'll be sent down while Cleary is put in the top 6? Lol. 

Zetterberg's back must be hurting from carrying around the team night after night. A Zetterberg shift is usually a good shift for us. Problem is the other 3 shifts suck, with the occasional good Datsyuk shift. In all honesty Dats should have had a goal or two on those 2 big chances he had, if either had gone in it could have been a different game.

Getting tired of special teams dragging us down. Can't keep letting in 2-3 PK goals per game. Can't keep taking stupid penalties. Cleary, Quincey, Kronwall, I'm looking at you guys. 

PP is still an embarressment. Fluke goal tonight off a broken play, but otherwise it's not even giving us momentum.

Why didn't Babs play Mrazek tonight? I'm not blaming this one Howard, but the guy needs a rest already. Is there another goalie in the league that has played every game so far? It would be okay to play him every game if it was giving results, but right now there's no point riding Howie 'til he breaks down. 

Personally, I'm more worried about the PK. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#445 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Just trade Cleary for $1

bringit.jpg

#446 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

Just trade Cleary for $1

How about a $5 Hot 'n Ready? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#447 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

Cleary has no points on the year. He hasn't looked great at even strength. Unless he turns it around, we just can't afford to have him on our roster next year.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#448 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Cleary has no points on the year. He hasn't looked great at even strength. Unless he turns it around, we just can't afford to have him on our roster next year.

With how he's playing we can't afford to have him right now.

I'm usually on the conservate let's not be too hasty side, but Cleary has just been dreadful, and is costing this team dearly with his penalties. Worst part is I don't see him getting less minutes, Babcock just keeps playing him like there isn't an issue. I'm entirely confused on the whole situation.

#449 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Holland was quoted saying he'd give himself 20 games into the season before evaluating his team. So we are almost half point their and yet some things are obvious:

1. Wings need a bonafide top pairing defenseman

2. I want to see Datsyuk getting another cup before heading back to Russia

3. Should this team not be a playoff team by at the end of February time to bring in the youth and hope for a great pick to start off the rebuild.

Get well soon Helm, this team is needing you more than ever

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#450 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Holland was quoted saying he'd give himself 20 games into the season before evaluating his team. So we are almost half point their and yet some things are obvious:

1. Wings need a bonafide top pairing defenseman

2. I want to see Datsyuk getting another cup before heading back to Russia

3. Should this team not be a playoff team by at the end of February time to bring in the youth and hope for a great pick to start off the rebuild.

Get well soon Helm, this team is needing you more than ever

We also need secondary scoring.  BIG TIME.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#451 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

We also need secondary scoring.  BIG TIME.

My bad forgot it completely, but yeah there is obviously more than one hole to fix so Holland has his workload set for this season I guess.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#452 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

well that was an embarrasment..

to lose to the 2nd worst team in the NHL...at home. (caps are now the worst)

hoping tomorrow has a better outcome.

speaking of tomorrow...

#453 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

After watching this game last night until Calgary scored to make it 4-1, the only thing I can say is ugly.  Here are the problems.

Top 2 lines are good.  Bottom 2 lines are not scoring.  We need our bottom 2 lines to chip in some points.

The injuries are killing us.

Howard has played great this season.  The goals scored against him he has had zero chance on tonight.  The screened shot to make it 3-1 was just what Mickey said it was, "A puck that had eyes."  He isn't allowing softies, but he also isn't getting goal support either.  We weren't winning this game even if he robbed Calgary on 2 of the 4 goals they scored.

I really don't understand why people here think Dekeyser is going to be some stud when he gets out of school.  So far, he is just a prospect, and I am not convinced this guy is NHL material yet.

Cleary sucks so bad.  He really needs to be benched or put on waivers.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#454 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

just a brutal loss again. CBJ and Flames, whats next, losing to Phx? geeeeeeeeeeez get rid of half the team, cant stand the 3/4th lines. Helm is so missed its unbelievable what he brings to this team. 

#455 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

This is a thread for discussing the game. Like it or not, complaining about players is on topic and relevant to the discussion.  

Lecturing other members about their level of fandom and name calling, even when it's not directed at anyone specific, is still off topic and against forum rules.  People continuing to make those kinds of posts will have their entire post deleted and will be receiving suspensions.

EDIT:  TO CLARIFY, complaining about players is not inherently on-topic.  My point was that if it is on topic, it is not against forum rules to criticize players even though it may be an unpopular opinion. However, incessant complaining about a player not relevant to what is happening in the game may still be considered spamming, derailing the thread, and or/trolling.  

Basically use common sense.  If you're not sure a post meets forum guidelines, consider whether or not it contributes anything to the discussion at hand.  And though it may seem surprising, the evil mods here will usually give you clear warnings before they bring down the hammer.

Thank you, carry on.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#456 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

After watching this game last night until Calgary scored to make it 4-1, the only thing I can say is ugly.  Here are the problems.

Top 2 lines are good.  Bottom 2 lines are not scoring.  We need our bottom 2 lines to chip in some points.

The injuries are killing us.

Howard has played great this season.  The goals scored against him he has had zero chance on tonight.  The screened shot to make it 3-1 was just what Mickey said it was, "A puck that had eyes."  He isn't allowing softies, but he also isn't getting goal support either.  We weren't winning this game even if he robbed Calgary on 2 of the 4 goals they scored.

I really don't understand why people here think Dekeyser is going to be some stud when he gets out of school.  So far, he is just a prospect, and I am not convinced this guy is NHL material yet.

Cleary sucks so bad.  He really needs to be benched or put on waivers.

Cleary played his best game so far this year last night. He caused a Flames penalty battling hard in the corners, he almost scored going hard to the net and worked hard along the boards and in front of their net all night long. He was one of the better Wings last night.

#457 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

kipprusoft did, he got injured after the second and irving saw his first play time this season.

Dubnyk has started every game

Johnny Quick has as well

None are doing extraordinarily well, so it's safe to say these goalies need some rest in this short season!

#458 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

The injuries are killing us. (1)

Howard has played great this season.  The goals scored against him he has had zero chance on tonight.  The screened shot to make it 3-1 was just what Mickey said it was, "A puck that had eyes."  He isn't allowing softies, but he also isn't getting goal support either.  We weren't winning this game even if he robbed Calgary on 2 of the 4 goals they scored. (2)

Cleary sucks so bad.  He really needs to be benched or put on waivers. (3)

1) Yes, and no. Having Smith and Helm out for a prolonged period of time is hurting the Wings. Other than that, I'm not sure we've "missed" White during his time out or Sammy. Yes it sucks to have patchwork defense, and yes Helm drives the bottom six, but other than that, its the players who are on the ice that are the problem. Quincey is dreadful, and both Ericsson and White (albeit not nearly as bad) have both been burned for several breakaways/dumb penalties this season. The rest of the bottom 6 without Helm should at least be capable of physicality and energy. Besides a Tootoo fight every night (all staged), no one is doing anything.

2) In my opinion, Howard has not been great this season. He has had a few stretches of being good, but his job is keeping pucks out of the net, and in the cold light of day, he hasn't done that. Howard sits at 30th in GAA and Save% among the 40 goaltenders who have played 3 games or more. That's right, Howard is near the bottom in both of the major goaltending categories, so how has he played great? Goaltending comes down to providing confidence as backstop and making up for the team's mistakes until they can right the ship. Yes, he has faced some tough shots, through bodies or on breakaways, but his job is to stop the difficult shots, too. His rebound control has always been an issue, but its much more glaring without Lidstrom, Stuart, and Rafalski clearing juicy pucks from the crease. Rarely do we see him stopping quality scoring chances, and he has a habit of allowing goals in the first and last minute of periods, which are deflating to a team that's already being frustrated on the other end. Yes, he needs goal support on the other side of the ice, and in most of the games he hasn't been the glaring reason why they have lost (as you said about last night, whether they score 4 or 2 goals doesn't matter when you can only muster 1), but to say he has been great, or even very good is a stretch.

3) Cleary in his present state is nothing like he was early in his time with the Wings, and is starting to show why he was here on try-out coming out of the lockout. He has always had potential, but lacked the motivation and focus until he was about ready to be drummed out of the league. I'm starting to feel like years with the Wings have made him overly comfortable, less and less effective, and more and more vocal (to his detriment). Cleary talked a lot during the lockout and got himself and the Wings organization unnecessary attention. Also, whether he is still seen as a leader in the dressing room or not, there is nothing more annoying than what Cleary has been this season, essentially the opposite of a leader by example. He has become the guy that isn't physical, isn't going to the hard areas, isn't making smarter passes, isn't shooting more, so when they ask him in interviews between periods or after games what is going wrong and he sites those things as areas the team needs to improve in, I don't think "he's going to go show them how its done", I think "and you're the worst offender! You apparently know whats wrong, so why aren't you fixing it?". Now when I see him on the ice, his shots are lazy, his passes are complacent and the penalties... oh the penalties. Cleary needs to move on, or at the very least, start seeing his ice time diminished until he snaps out of it. Another relic we keep because of "familiarity" and describe the way he WAS not the way he IS ("versatile", "physical", etc). Also, without Cleary how can we justify bringing players past their prime or on an obvious downswing into the fold while believing the Wings can just turn them 180 :P

Edited by b.shanafan14, 06 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#459 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

1) Yes, and no. Having Smith and Helm out for a prolonged period of time is hurting the Wings. Other than that, I'm not sure we've "missed" White during his time out or Sammy. Yes it sucks to have patchwork defense, and yes Helm drives the bottom six, but other than that, its the players who are on the ice that are the problem. Quincey is dreadful, and both Ericsson and White (albeit not nearly as bad) have both been burned for several breakaways/dumb penalties this season. The rest of the bottom 6 without Helm should at least be capable of physicality and energy. Besides a Tootoo fight every night (all staged), no one is doing anything.

2) In my opinion, Howard has not been great this season. He has had a few stretches of being good, but his job is keeping pucks out of the net, and in the cold light of day, he hasn't done that. Howard sits at 30th in GAA and Save% among the 40 goaltenders who have played 3 games or more. That's right, Howard is near the bottom in both of the major goaltending categories, so how has he played great? Goaltending comes down to providing confidence as backstop and making up for the team's mistakes until they can right the ship. Yes, he has faced some tough shots, through bodies or on breakaways, but his job is to stop the difficult shots, too. His rebound control has always been an issue, but its much more glaring with Lidstrom, Stuart, and Rafalski clearing juicy pucks from the crease. Rarely do we see him stopping quality scoring chances, and he has a habit of allowing goals in the first and last minute of periods, which are deflating to a team that's already being frustrated on the other end. Yes, he needs goal support on the other side of the ice, and in most of the games he hasn't been the glaring reason why they have lost (as you said about last night, whether they score 4 or 2 goals doesn't matter when you can only muster 1), but to say he has been great, or even very good is a stretch.

3) Cleary in his present state is nothing like he was early in his time with the Wings, and is starting to show why he was here on try-out coming out of the lockout. He has always had potential, but lacked the motivation and focus until he was about ready to be drummed out of the league. I'm starting to feel like years with the Wings have made him overly comfortable, less and less effective, and more and more vocal (to his detriment). Cleary talked a lot during the lockout and got himself and the Wings organization unnecessary attention. Also, whether he is still seen as a leader in the dressing room or not, there is nothing more annoying than what Cleary has been this season, essentially the opposite of a leader by example. He has become the guy that isn't physical, isn't going to the hard areas, isn't making smarter passes, isn't shooting more, so when they ask him in interviews between periods or after games what is going wrong and he sites those things as areas the team needs to improve in, I don't think "he's going to go show them how its done", I think "and you're the worst offender! You apparently know whats wrong, so why aren't you fixing it?". Now when I see him on the ice, his shots are lazy, his passes are complacent and the penalties... oh the penalties. Cleary needs to move on, or at the very least, start seeing his ice time diminished until he snaps out of it. Another relic we keep because of "familiarity" and describe the way he WAS not the way he IS ("versatile", "physical", etc). Also, without Cleary how can we justify bringing players past their prime or on an obvious downswing into the fold while believing the Wings can just turn them 180 :P

He actually did all that last night, I agree he hasn't until last night but last night he actually did, he was one of the better Wings last night

#460 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

just a brutal loss again. CBJ and Flames, whats next, losing to Phx? geeeeeeeeeeez get rid of half the team, cant stand the 3/4th lines. Helm is so missed its unbelievable what he brings to this team. 

The Flames totally dominated the Hawks in their previous game but didn't even get the win because of an incredible performance from Razor.

Edited by Johnz96, 06 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.