• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cr00d

Landon Ferraro or Sheahan?

Rate this topic

I wonder if KH and co. have considered calling Landon or Riley up to help our ridiculously awful Penalty Kill.

Ferraro can skate and check like Helm, plus he's having a really nice rebound year in GR.

Sheahan is a big strong kid who excels defensively.

I think either/or could give our rotten PK a real shot in the arm.

I'd love to have them both up as well, but realistically, they have to comply with the 23 man roster.

Our roster as it stands:

Mule - Z - Brunner

Flip - Pav - Tatar

Bert - Abs - Cleary

Tootoo - Emmerton - Miller

Kronner - Ericsson

Quincy - Lashoff

Huskins - White

Howard

Mrazek

Kindl - Eaves - Gustavsson

IR - Helm, Mursak, Sammy, Cola, Smith, Joe Mac

23 Active - 6 Injured Reserve

To call up either/or both, they'd have to send one or two down, and all but Tatar would be exposed to waivers. I thought Tatar played a solid game, and deserves a second chance(hopefully on Datsyuk's wing), so I'd hate to see him sent down.

That leaves us with Cleary, Miller, Eaves as possible demotions. Emmerton I would expect is safe as a center, though if he, or any of the other guys mentioned could be salvaged and traded for picks, that'd be a huge bonus.

For me, it would be Sheahan. As noted, it could only happen if another injury occurs or if Tatar is sent back down. I think Sheahan, or even Andersson, could be upgrades over Emmerton. It's unfortunate, but Emmerton just seems to react too slowly and just isn't strong enough.

I was under the impression that Ferraro had disappointed. I looked up his current season stats, and while they're good for the AHL, I don't see them as spectacular. 33 points in 44 games, 0 +/-. Previous season 56 games, 20 points, -6. I know stats don't tell the whole story, but I haven't heard anyone talk about him as a future Wing, other than a few odd call-ups. I don't think he'd add anything to our lineup. We already have a bunch of wingers.

Sheahan, same thing. I've heard his potential is a 4th line player for the Wings, but his grit would be helpful. I don't follow the prospects closely, though, so I might be missing some intangibles. Although his +/- looks good.

I was under the impression that Ferraro had disappointed. I looked up his current season stats, and while they're good for the AHL, I don't see them as spectacular. 33 points in 44 games, 0 +/-. Previous season 56 games, 20 points, -6. I know stats don't tell the whole story, but I haven't heard anyone talk about him as a future Wing, other than a few odd call-ups. I don't think he'd add anything to our lineup. We already have a bunch of wingers.

Sheahan, same thing. I've heard his potential is a 4th line player for the Wings, but his grit would be helpful. I don't follow the prospects closely, though, so I might be missing some intangibles. Although his +/- looks good.

Ferrarro is a center with a lot of speed. He has been so bad the past couple years that him actually improving is making a bunch of us giddy about him, I can see him being an upgrade to Emmerton pretty easily. And Sheahan has been consistently strong defensively, physical and can chip in offensively. Neither of these guys will be top 6 players, at least as of now.

Edited by Carman

Hes been awesome. Hes leading the AHL in short handed points, hits, is scoring at a solid clip. He looks like a Helm clone in the AHL. A little less speedy and better offense

The issue with bringing in one or both is the logjam of forwards we have in the bottom six right now. When Helm returns, the PK will improve tremendously. While it won't happen this year, in the next two or so years I'd eventually like to see a bottom six of something like...

Tatar-Helm-Ferraro
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Tootoo

I only have Tatar on the 3rd line because I feel like Jarnkrok or some free agent will be able to jump into our top 6 by then (optimistic, I know).

Sheahan could be top 6, because of the size. If anyone has seen GR play this year, you would see that he is always in good position. O and he did burry a nice back gander tonight. The Central is full of good sized centers and the Wings need to keep up

Sheahan could be top 6, because of the size. If anyone has seen GR play this year, you would see that he is always in good position. O and he did burry a nice back gander tonight. The Central is full of good sized centers and the Wings need to keep up

If Sheahan could ever develop a consistent offensive game, he could project as a 2nd/3rd line center but until then, 3rd/4th is more realistic. I still think though that either he or Andersson would be an upgrade at 4th line center over Emmerton right now. Waiver exemptions are a hell of a thing though.

I'd love to have them both up as well, but realistically, they have to comply with the 23 man roster.

To call up either/or both, they'd have to send one or two down, and all but Tatar would be exposed to waivers. I thought Tatar played a solid game, and deserves a second chance(hopefully on Datsyuk's wing), so I'd hate to see him sent down.

False.

Tatar is waiver exempt all season. They can recall him or send him back down whenever they'd like. His waiver exempt status runs out after this season. Same goes for Lashoff.

False.

Tatar is waiver exempt all season. They can recall him or send him back down whenever they'd like. His waiver exempt status runs out after this season. Same goes for Lashoff.

Might want to read that again. He said ALL BUT Tatar would have to be exposed to waivers meaning that Tatar IS waiver exempt.

Might want to read that again. He said ALL BUT Tatar would have to be exposed to waivers meaning that Tatar IS waiver exempt.

Oops. Missed the "all". Sorry about that, I'll go get some more coffee. However, Lashoff is also waiver exempt.

I think Andersson is ahead of Ferraro and Sheahan on the call up pecking order. I'm sure if injuries pile up up front, we may get a look at all of them at some point. I'm sure they want to get a look at Andersson at some point this season. Babcock is really high on the kid, and his waiver exemption runs out after this season.

Also, I don't think the Red Wings would waive Miller, Cleary or Eaves. The players that would most likely have waivers looming over their heads are MacDonald, Mursak, Emmerton and possibly Huskins. And, once someone comes off IR I'm sure Tatar will be sent back down.

Just for the sake of arguing if Tartar has something like 5 goals and a handful of assists when Sammy comes back. Who goes?

Depends on how many games, and how he gets the points.

If it's like 8 games, scoring mostly off his own skill and hard work, we'd probably try to move Eaves, either trade or slip him through waivers if we can't find one.

14 games benefitting from Datsyuk, Tots goes back to GR.

Tatar is with Cleary and Abby tonight, so it's pretty unlikely that he'll be the recipient of any of Datsyuk's wizardry. Then again, if he plays like he did last game I don't think anyone will be the beneficiary of any of his wizardry. Tatar Abby and Cleary may well be a decent line though, however I'm still at a loss for why Eaves is out right now. He's got the best offensive instincts of any or our bottom sixers.

Andersson definitely deserves a shot and would isntantly add some nice size and strength to the pk (much like Sheahan).

Butttt damnnn Ferraro has that game-breaking speed that makes Helm so devastating on the PK along with legit hands. With Helm injured we could seriously use Ferraro's speed out there. Imagine the absurd speed of a third line with Ferraro-Helm-Tatar/Samuelsson.

I think Andersson is ahead of Ferraro and Sheahan on the call up pecking order. I'm sure if injuries pile up up front, we may get a look at all of them at some point. I'm sure they want to get a look at Andersson at some point this season. Babcock is really high on the kid, and his waiver exemption runs out after this season.

Also, I don't think the Red Wings would waive Miller, Cleary or Eaves. The players that would most likely have waivers looming over their heads are MacDonald, Mursak, Emmerton and possibly Huskins. And, once someone comes off IR I'm sure Tatar will be sent back down.

Yep.. plus if you want help on the kill, .....

"We don't want to wake up tomorrow or Sunday and need a body,''

Holland said. “We have different ideas for the lineup, we'll decide in

the morning.

“(Andersson) brings a big body, he can penalty kill, he's a good defensive forward.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_todd_bertuzzi_back_o_1.html

Yep.. plus if you want help on the kill, .....

"We don't want to wake up tomorrow or Sunday and need a body,''

Holland said. “We have different ideas for the lineup, we'll decide in

the morning.

“(Andersson) brings a big body, he can penalty kill, he's a good defensive forward.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_todd_bertuzzi_back_o_1.html