• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Desjardin match penalty on clean hit against Mayers

Rate this topic

I'm half wondering if we should start a thread for these majorly blown calls.

Desjardin catches Mayers with his head down and crushes him with a clean hard hit.

Refs eject him and give him a major penalty. Hawks get 5 minute power play and score the go ahead goal on the ensuing 4 on 4 (Keith got 2 min for instigating and another 2 for instigating with a visor).

It doesn't give me a lot of hope for the officiating when the supervisor of ofiicials is Mick McGeough. That guy was an awful ref.

LeBrun reported that the league has rescinded the match penalty from Desjardin's record.

That said, clearing the record "after the fact" isn't enough. There needs to be major reviews and changes to the league's officials and their standards for calls. In a shortened season, each goal/game is that much more important, and teams can't afford to lose games based on horrible calls.

What a joke. That's two blatent bad match calls along with that one the Blues got dogged with against the Wings.

If something like this happens in the playoffs, stings a lot more.

At least there was some head contact on that one...

Major penalties, or at least match, need to be reviewable. Simple solution and they aren't so common that it would cause any real disruption.

Where was the head contact? That was all shoulder to shoulder. His head may have snapped back like with Huskins but the Sharks player never made contact to the head.

Major penalties, or at least match, need to be reviewable. Simple solution and they aren't so common that it would cause any real disruption.

I didn't see any head contact in there. Looked completely shoulder to shoulder. Although it did appear to me that he left his feet.

another brutal call, birng back Fraser lol, I hated him but he never made calls like this. He was tough but fair, this is just garbage officiating!!! We can't keep going like this, it's ridiculous, will they throw Kronwall out too when he makes a big hit?

Exactly what I was going to say - for as long as the refs stood around talking about it, they could have just looked at one replay and gone "clean hit"

Exactly what I was going to say - for as long as the refs stood around talking about it, they could have just looked at one replay and gone "clean hit"

That's what I was thinking, they were starting to look like city workers, I thought they were on a coffee break. Have them call upstairs and review the hit if that's what it takes, or have a tv screen on the other side of the glass they can review the play with (we do have that technology now Bettman...)

Guest RedWingsDad

I lost all respect for NHL officiating and judgement after the Weber on Z head slam. Granted, it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison since the Weber incident was an inadequate punishment after the fact vs. a missed or blown call, but it's all in the same realm i my book.

I lost all respect for NHL officiating and judgement after the Weber on Z head slam. Granted, it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison since the Weber incident was an inadequate punishment after the fact vs. a missed or blown call, but it's all in the same realm i my book.

I agree, he should have been suspended at least 5 games, he got away like a bandit on that one.

another brutal call, birng back Fraser lol, I hated him but he never made calls like this. He was tough but fair, this is just garbage officiating!!! We can't keep going like this, it's ridiculous, will they throw Kronwall out too when he makes a big hit?

That's what I'm worried about, with the way this season has been, he is for sure going to get tossed with one of his hits.

I agree on this play, no contact to the head. Even IF there was contact, it requires two things to receive a suspension for an illegal check to the head. 1) Principal point of contact must be the head. 2) Head must be targeted. Not one of these, but BOTH of these criteria must be satisfied to receive a suspension. In turn, I believe these same factors should define an 'illegal check to the head'.

Edzo complaining about a 'blindside hit', which is not in the criteria for this rule. It's not the blindside that makes it dangerous. It's the principal contact and targeting of the head that do.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=199073&navid=nhl:topheads

That's what I'm worried about, with the way this season has been, he is for sure going to get tossed with one of his hits.

I agree on this play, no contact to the head. Even IF there was contact, it requires two things to receive a suspension for an illegal check to the head. 1) Principal point of contact must be the head. 2) Head must be targeted. Not one of these, but BOTH of these criteria must be satisfied to receive a suspension. In turn, I believe these same factors should define an 'illegal check to the head'.

Edzo complaining about a 'blindside hit', which is not in the criteria for this rule. It's not the blindside that makes it dangerous. It's the principal contact and targeting of the head that do.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=199073&navid=nhl:topheads

Edzo.... the only words/phrases he can actually say are the following: chicago, blackhawks, chicago blackhawks, toews, amazing 2010, 2010 was the best season, oh my god look at kane, kaner!, look at those hawks, wowzer those hawks are looking good this year, man i love chicago, chicagos a great city, how about those hawks?

Edzo.... the only words/phrases he can actually say are the following: chicago, blackhawks, chicago blackhawks, toews, amazing 2010, 2010 was the best season, oh my god look at kane, kaner!, look at those hawks, wowzer those hawks are looking good this year, man i love chicago, chicagos a great city, how about those hawks?

You forgot "active stick" and Detroit's "subtle interference."

I was going to say you forgot Kaner and Tazer!

Terrible call, changed the game. It happens.

The linesman who insisted it was a hit to the head, Jonny Murray, caught a hard shot in the back which put him on the ice later, almost causing him to leave the game. It was unfortunate. It happens.

*Christian Bale Bruce Wayne Voice*

Ice Justice.

Maybe we should have a department for on ice players responsibilities? Hire Burke so he and Shanahan can discuss, what hits to rescind.

Hockey used to be a game with hard hits, now even clean but impactful ones are getting punished during a game, powerplays are given out like nothing I really don't know what this league is trying to accomplish here.