• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Bring back Bill McCreary and Kerry Fraser!!!

#22 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Terrible call, changed the game. It happens.

The linesman who insisted it was a hit to the head, Jonny Murray, caught a hard shot in the back which put him on the ice later, almost causing him to leave the game. It was unfortunate. It happens.

*Christian Bale Bruce Wayne Voice*

Ice Justice.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#23 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Same thing with the Backes hit on Huskins, that hit was clean.  They gave him 5 and a game for a headshot and Detroit won the game because of it.  

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Maybe we should have a department for on ice players responsibilities? Hire Burke so he and Shanahan can discuss, what hits to rescind.

Hockey used to be a game with hard hits, now even clean but impactful ones are getting punished during a game, powerplays are given out like nothing I really don't know what this league is trying to accomplish here.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#25 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

We have a war room that is staffed in Toronto for goals in dispute, why can't they dispute for hit to the head?

• Ram likes this

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#26 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Edzo complaining about a 'blindside hit', which is not in the criteria for this rule.  It's not the blindside that makes it dangerous.  It's the principal contact and targeting of the head that do.

http://video.nhl.com...id=nhl:topheads

To be fair, I think he was using "blindside" in the sense that Meyers was looking the other way when he got hit.  That doesn't make it a blindside hit per se, and he did seem genuinely shocked that it was a major.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#27 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I can almost understand it.  It had all the makings of the classic blind-side hit to the head, the most dangerous play in the game.  Everything lines up for this being a big suspendable hit....except......no head contact.

Watching at full speed it even looks okay though.  The only benefit of the doubt I'll give the refs here is that they weren't watching the full speed like me looking at nothing but the hit in particular.  That said, if they didn't see it good enough, why wouldn't they err on the side of not dishing out a match penalty?  If they get that wrong and miss the head shot, the player will get his discipline via suspension.  Before they hand out calls like this on the ice, I think they better be a little more sure (without being in the conversation amongst the 4 officials, I won't go much further than that).