• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

Let me get this straight. Our top forward line Z, Fil, and brunner turn the puck over, start a 3 on 2, lashoff gets caught pinching on a forward, and this is Howards fault? Scoring only 2 goals in a game is Howards fault? Letting all our talent leave over the last couple of years and not replacing them is Howards fault? I suppose 0 for the road on the PP is his fault as well?

Let me get this straight. Our top forward line Z, Fil, and brunner turn the puck over, start a 3 on 2, lashoff gets caught pinching on a forward, and this is Howards fault? Scoring only 2 goals in a game is Howards fault? Letting all our talent leave over the last couple of years and not replacing them is Howards fault? I suppose 0 for the road on the PP is his fault as well?

You can't possibly disagree that Howard played that final play poorly. He looked like a fish outta water man, and he does it EVERY time there's a scramble in front of the net. Obviously it wasn't ALL his fault, we're just frustrated right now.

Yeah don't address what I said or anything lol.

If you're mad punch the couch or something. Stay off of forums lol.

Ugh no point after a loss. Too many overreactors and idiots.

I'm a pretty unbiased person when it comes to the Wings and yea a lot of these goals aren't his fault but we see the opposing goalie making bigger and better saves to keep their team in it almost every game. Howard almost never makes a big save on a breakaway or odd man rush to keep his team in the lead or tied late in the game or period or whatever. These aren't overreactions and you seem to be mad with the name calling. Starting Gustavsson the next game or even the next two this weekend is what should happen but I'm sure ole' stubborn Babs won't oblige.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

Yeah don't address what I said or anything lol.

If you're mad punch the couch or something. Stay off of forums lol.

is this directed at me?

i'm hardly mad, friendo.

I'm a pretty unbiased person when it comes to the Wings and yea a lot of these goals aren't his fault but we see the opposing goalie making bigger and better saves to keep their team in it almost every game. Howard almost never makes a big save on a breakaway or odd man rush to keep his team in the lead or tied late in the game or period or whatever. These aren't overreactions and you seem to be mad with the name calling. Starting Gustavsson the next game or even the next two this weekend is what should happen but I'm sure ole' stubborn Babs won't oblige.

Go back and watch the game vs the LAK and say that. he is the only reason we won that game and didn't lose 8-0.

Go back and watch the game vs the LAK and say that. he is the only reason we won that game and didn't lose 8-0.

One game man, one game. And it's already been pointed out by numerous people. He's an average goalie. He's going to have spectacular games every now and again.

Looked bad today. Babcock's decisions have been baffling this season. From the line combos to the goalies. Starting Howard the game after he leaves with blurry vision? Give him a rest.. Monster looked good when he came in.

Right now Gustavsson needs to start atleast 2-3 games in a row imo. Regardless of what happens. Give Howard a real chance to re-focus and find his game again.

If you actually think this was Howard's fault I've just gotta laugh at ya. LOL@the emotional responses. And how predictable, too. Same little group of people every time.

When did I say it was his fault? He's partly to blame but definitely not all. It's more what I've been seeing the past 5 years. He's a serviceable goalie, a number 1 on no where bound teams and a premier backup on contenders. He isn't a playoff winning goalie, at least not yet. He has stretches of good play and flashes of greatness followed by 2 softies. A lot like Osgood before the first trade. Problem is we don't have 6 hall of famers on defense anymore. His stats are pretty bad though and that isn't being subjective. I might've over done it with the 80s comment but even in the 90s that's knocking on bottom tier and in today's league it's garbage.

To be fair its barely below that...

Getting closer to .88 after tonight.

Edited by Number19

Question: If Howard is "average", thus not terribly bad but not terribly good either, and you want to move on from him, is option B to scrap him from the lineup and rotate Mrazek and McCollum for the rest of the year? Wouldn't you agree he is still the best goalie on the team with the most experience? So, yes he is average, but we should move on to below average? I guess I just don't get it, barring a trade, which probably won't happen, you're rolling the dice on the rest of the season. If you want to chalk up the season and just give everyone a shot, then yes that makes sense. I don't think the Wings are going to win the Cup this year but if they are going to at least make the playoffs, the starting goaltender is Jimmy Howard.

Edited by Ram

Guest The Axe

Question: If Howard is "average", thus not terribly bad but not terribly good either, and you want to move on from him, is option B to scrap him from the lineup and rotate Mrazek and McCollum for the rest of the year? Wouldn't you agree he is still the best goalie on the team with the most experience? So, yes he is average, but we should move on to below average? I guess I just don't get it, barring a trade, which probably won't happen, you're rolling the dice on the rest of the season. If you want to chalk up the season and just give everyone a shot, then yes that makes sense. I don't think the Wings are going to win the Cup this year but if they are going to at least make the playoffs, the starting goaltender is Jimmy Howard.

Go with Mrazmataz and see what happens.

That goal with 25 seconds left was awful. He cold have gotten over but fell on his ass instead. I'm starting to wonder if the off time didn't throw off his groove this year. Jimmy is a decent goalie but not having a number 1 defenseman this year has exposed him a lot. Either we get a Number 1 defenseman or a new goaltender.

Guest The Axe

That goal with 25 seconds left was awful. He cold have gotten over but fell on his ass instead. I'm starting to wonder if the off time didn't throw off his groove this year. Jimmy is a decent goalie but not having a number 1 defenseman this year has exposed him a lot. Either we get a Number 1 defenseman or a new goaltender.

I feel the same way.

Ya it was a bad goal, and Jimmy did have a bit of an off night, but how many turnovers did we give up in front of our net that he bailed us out on? Don't just look at the goals guys, look at the saves, our defense couldn't stop a basketball if they wanted to, they turn pucks over more times a game then the leafs organization has made bad decisions in the last 10 years. I just hate how everyone always turns to blaming the goalie when we lose

This is where I see Howard's style or lack thereof, or combinations of styles, however you want to word it hurts him the most.

He is a scrappy, hardworking goalie, that fights to make saves.

That style put him in the out of position.

Yea I know he played great that game. Look at my post just a few posts before.

Yea, Howards not the guy. I'm sure the next time he stand on his head in 10 games or so everyone will love posting in this thread singing his praise but he is so average it hurts.

He plays great once in a blue moon but just doesn't have the consistency to take this team far at the moment.

Guest The Axe

Ya it was a bad goal, and Jimmy did have a bit of an off night, but how many turnovers did we give up in front of our net that he bailed us out on? Don't just look at the goals guys, look at the saves, our defense couldn't stop a basketball if they wanted to, they turn pucks over more times a game then the leafs organization has made bad decisions in the last 10 years. I just hate how everyone always turns to blaming the goalie when we lose

I'm telling you that I firmly believe that you win and lose as a team. But this is not the first, second, or even third game where Jimmy has let in questionable goals and we end up losing by 1 goal. It's more like 4, 5, or 6. You can't figure that we're going to take home the 2 points in all of those games if a save is made here or there instead of a goal. But you can figure we are going to at least take home an average of 1. If we multiply this out by the 48 game schedule, we'll be left looking at a 10-15 points in the standings difference if that extra save is made for the 10-15 games we lose by a goal. That's the difference between playoffs and not playoffs. So in summary, does the team need to play better? Absolutely. The whole team has stunk this year, outside of Datsyuk and a few others. Does Howard need to play better? 100% yes. You can't be an average goalie if your team is just average. You have to be a great goalie to win games with an average team in front of you. That being said, understand that I'm not BLAMING Howard. I know what he is. I don't expect more than a workhorse who does his best and doesn't create on-ice or off-ice problems. I like Jimmy a lot for those qualities he brings to the table. However, I think those qualities come second to the talent level he brings. The talent level he brings should put him at our #2 keeper.

Thought it was time to drag this little nugget out. Average? ya...... Jimmy is the only reason we are in the game today, with a chance to win. 0-0 after 40 mins. can we buy a goal? Howard is doing his job like the top 5 goalie that he is!

Guest DeGraa55

Thought it was time to drag this little nugget out. Average? ya...... Jimmy is the only reason we are in the game today, with a chance to win. 0-0 after 40 mins. can we buy a goal? Howard is doing his job like the top 5 goalie that he is!

No remember. Howard bad. Franzen good. Dats will play until he is 55. Welcome to the mind of 99% here.

LOL, you honestly think you can change people's minds around here? that's funny, goalies in detroit will alwayys be scapegoats, now matter how good they are.COuld you imagine if the devils decided to trade brodeur after the 98/99 playoffs, he was 2.83 gaa and .856 sv% and I'm sure a lot of people were calling for his head then, but he won them a cup the next year, so... my point is every goalie has bad games, we all know Roy had his fair share, so did Hasek, and most certainly our beloved ozzie, but people don't listen to reason around here

Yeah, I'll never forget the flame wars on here in 07-08 between the Hasek and Ozzie fanboys - or more correctly the Hasek haters and the Ozzie haters. Which was ironic, because they both played great that season and had near identical numbers.

Howard played great today I might be a hater but this game isn't on him in the slightest.

LOL, you honestly think you can change people's minds around here? that's funny, goalies in detroit will alwayys be scapegoats, now matter how good they are.COuld you imagine if the devils decided to trade brodeur after the 98/99 playoffs, he was 2.83 gaa and .856 sv% and I'm sure a lot of people were calling for his head then, but he won them a cup the next year, so... my point is every goalie has bad games, we all know Roy had his fair share, so did Hasek, and most certainly our beloved ozzie, but people don't listen to reason around here

Comparing Howard to Broduer, Roy, and Hasek doesn't make a great case for him. :ninja: And he sure as hell isn't a top 5 goalie.

Guest The Axe

Howard had a great game today. He's performed admirably in 3 straight games. I hope he keeps it up.