• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

Howard played very well today...still has rebound issues though. Drives me crazy! Todays game was not his fault what-so-ever, despite him giving up juicy rebounds all night. If it weren't for him, we had been blown out....yet, if it weren't for Mike Babcock, we had won.

Howard played great today I might be a hater but this game isn't on him in the slightest.

Comparing Howard to Broduer, Roy, and Hasek doesn't make a great case for him. :ninja: And he sure as hell isn't a top 5 goalie.

Did I compare Howard to Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek? No, I merely stated that no matter how "elite" a goalie is they are still subject to bad games if the team in front does not play well. You really think Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, or ozzie would have had a 1.95 gaa and a .935 sv% on our team through the first 10-15 games? I don't, and Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek were/are better goalies

Did I compare Howard to Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek? No, I merely stated that no matter how "elite" a goalie is they are still subject to bad games if the team in front does not play well. You really think Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, or ozzie would have had a 1.95 gaa and a .935 sv% on our team through the first 10-15 games? I don't, and Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek were/are better goalies

At age 28? Yes I do. It seems to be no problem for Monster and Mrazek. But I don't have any interest in having this debate when Jimmie has been turning around his game. I still don't think he's the goalie to lead us to a cup. :glare:

Edited by Number19

Guest The Axe

At age 28? Yes I do. It seems to be no problem for Monster and Mrazek. But I don't have any interest in having this debate when Jimmie has been turning around his game. I still don't think he's the goalie to lead us to a cup. :glare:

The funny thing is that Crawford stole Franzen's top shelf goal and made 3 saves in the shootout. Howard let in Kane's and made 2. Jimmy has been good lately, but we have 10 wins and 12 losses this year. Im not ready to jump on his jock strap just yet. His defense has solidified in front of him. He needs to be clutch now for us to make the playoffs.

The funny thing is that Crawford stole Franzen's top shelf goal and made 3 saves in the shootout. Howard let in Kane's and made 2. Jimmy has been good lately, but we have 10 wins and 12 losses this year. Im not ready to jump on his jock strap just yet. His defense has solidified in front of him. He needs to be clutch now for us to make the playoffs.

lol, I love how you say "Howard let in Kane's" did we magically forget that Crawford let in tatar's? Both goalies made the exact same amount of saves in the game, same sv% and everything, they played just as well as each other, just because we couldn't bury more chances it becomes Howies fault.

LOL, Monster has started literally one game, and it was game in which our defense actually played well. I did say in the first 10-15 games. When Mrazek made his first start for us, our D played well in front of him and he played well too, his second start he made a lot of mistakes and got scored on 3 times, he only had two starts. I will once again refer you to Quick's numbers through the first 13 games...

By the way just for reference, Patrick Roy's age 27 season he had a .894 SV%, and 3.20 GAA in 62 games just wanted to clarify that.

Carry on.

By the way just for reference, Patrick Roy's age 27 season he had a .894 SV%, and 3.20 GAA in 62 games just wanted to clarify that.

Carry on.

Don't try to argue with logic and reason. Clearly Mrazek and Monster are much better goalies then Roy

I understand we all have egos but the internal conflict of being a Red Wing "fan" and supporting a position that calls for the Red Wings to fail must have The Axe buying rolaids in 50 lb tubs.

Howard is, and shall remain, the Red Wings #1 netminder.

This shall become evident when they announce his re-signing (He is a UFA this offseason).

Guest The Axe

I understand we all have egos but the internal conflict of being a Red Wing "fan" and supporting a position that calls for the Red Wings to fail must have The Axe buying rolaids in 50 lb tubs.

Howard is, and shall remain, the Red Wings #1 netminder.

This shall become evident when they announce his re-signing (He is a UFA this offseason).

Howard should be let go. He's good, but not great. No reason to overpay for good.

as a fellow goalie let me tell you that we cant do it all howie played like a beast the other day but he cant magically deke around everyone do a spin move and score goals (im refering to NHL hitz 2003) he did his job the offense didnt and we need to get more goals like in Van its like ever since that game all the fuel is gone we are sputtering now

Edited by sjr2012

as a fellow goalie let me tell you that we cant do it all howie played like a beast the other day but he cant magically deke around everyone do a spin move and score goals (im refering to NHL hitz 2003) he did his job the offense didnt and we need to get more goals like in Van its like ever since that game all the fuel is gone we are sputtering now

agreed, it's funny, no matter what howie does, he gets the blame. we lose 4-3, he should have made the save, we lose 3-2 he should have made the save, we go to a shootout tied 1-1, he should have had the shutout, so he's garbage because he let one single goal in, against arguably the best current team in the nhl... c'mon

Howard should be let go. He's good, but not great. No reason to overpay for good.

I understand your opinion. I also see you going from "average" to "good", which is a concession he is better on page 20 then he was, in your opinion, when you started the thread.

The Red Wings rarely over pay, and I don't see that happening here. Howard will be given a top 10-15 (you know anywhere form "good" to "average") netminder contract for 3-4 years. It may be for 5, to lower the over-all cap number, as the Wings did with Mule, Hank and Pav).

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl-salaries-2012-13-top-20-salaries-for-goalies/2012/11/17/

Some of the salaries are surely annomalies (DiPeitro stands out), but Howie will come in anywhere from $3.5M (average) to $5.0M(Good).

What salary do you believe is fair for Howard?

Here are his stats:

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470657&view=stats

Guest The Axe

agreed, it's funny, no matter what howie does, he gets the blame. we lose 4-3, he should have made the save, we lose 3-2 he should have made the save, we go to a shootout tied 1-1, he should have had the shutout, so he's garbage because he let one single goal in, against arguably the best current team in the nhl... c'mon

Are you saying that the other goalie on the othrr side of those 1 goal loss scenarios isnt winning those games? Crawford got it done. Howard didnt. The Wings had a lot of good chances on Crawford and he allowed the puck in the net ONCE. Thats what it took yesterday. Howard didnt get it done.

Are you saying that the other goalie on the othrr side of those 1 goal loss scenarios isnt winning those games? Crawford got it done. Howard didnt. The Wings had a lot of good chances on Crawford and he allowed the puck in the net ONCE. Thats what it took yesterday. Howard didnt get it done.

...? they both had the same save % and same amount of saves and same gaa... how did crawford get it "done" more then howie?

Guest The Axe

...? they both had the same save % and same amount of saves and same gaa... how did crawford get it "done" more then howie?

Who won?

This is a joke.

Jimmy Howard is the reason why we are still "alive" for a playoff berth. How about having a better defensive core instead of a bunch of flops choking up the puck? or maybe someone who can Quarterback a line (like Lidstrom) instead of looking lost on the ice when regrouping the line. I can't believe how insane this town is about goaltending. They can never appreciate a goaltender who faces 35+ shots a game yet we praise Domink Hasek who only faced an average of 19.5 shots per game and allows about 2-3 goals a game. Put Jimmy Howard in net from 96-2003 and get back to me.

You want to talk about average goaltender? Chris Osgood was an average goaltender. The only goaltender I know that had many Hot and Cold seasons. Very loose when securing the puck. Yet, the same guy who people talk about saying he should be in the Hall of Fame because of his 3 Stanley Cup rings. Pathetic.

Edited by HIFI_canadian

Guest The Axe

This is a joke.

Jimmy Howard is the reason why we are still "alive" for a playoff berth. How about having a better defensive core instead of a bunch of flops choking up the puck? or maybe someone who can Quarterback a line (like Lidstrom) instead of looking lost on the ice when regrouping the line. I can't believe how insane this town is about goaltending. They can never appreciate a goaltender who faces 35+ shots a game yet we praise Domink Hasek who only faced an average of 19.5 shots per game and allows about 2-3 goals a game. Put Jimmy Howard in net from 96-2003 and get back to me.

You want to talk about average goaltender? Chris Osgood was an average goaltender. The only goaltender I know that had many Hot and Cold seasons. Very loose when securing the puck. Yet, the same guy who people talk about saying he should be in the Hall of Fame because of his 3 Stanley Cup rings. Pathetic.

Osgood has 400 wins too. He will get into the hall of fame whether you like him or not. If Jimmy has a long career, he might as well. Howard is not a bad goalie. He's just not great.

:withstupid:

it was a shootout... Datsyuk missed, Brunner had Crawford beat but lost control of the puck, and Z didn't take a very good shot. How could we win if our guys couldn't even score on a shootout?

Apparently he thinks Howard should be scoring goals now.