• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

Where did I say, "terrible"?

This thread isn't about Howard being that adjective.

I meant "terrible" for his numbers. He can play better. Wasn't too clear on how I worded that.

The playoffs decide things like that.

Pretty much in every sport.

???? When Howard plays poorly, people can use his regular season stats as proof that he is "average", but when he puts the team on his back and carries them into the playoffs, the regular season doesn't matter????

I've noticed something while reading through old posts in this thread. That tripod dude is only active on on LGW when something goes wrong for the wings... Is he just a much more patient CentCougar?

???? When Howard plays poorly, people can use his regular season stats as proof that he is "average", but when he puts the team on his back and carries them into the playoffs, the regular season doesn't matter????

He didn't carry the team to the playoffs. It was a collective effort from the whole team, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, AND Howard. Franzen with 7 goals in past few weeks, Zetterberg with 2 goals and 9 points in 4 games and Datsyuk somwhere similar with 10 points or so this past week. Without the offense, there is no winning. Without a goalie, there is no winning. Collective effort, all the leaders stepped up. Please stick to the facts kind sir.

He didn't carry the team to the playoffs. It was a collective effort from the whole team, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, AND Howard. Franzen with 7 goals in past few weeks, Zetterberg with 2 goals and 9 points in 4 games and Datsyuk somwhere similar with 10 points or so this past week. Without the offense, there is no winning. Without a goalie, there is no winning. Collective effort, all the leaders stepped up. Please stick to the facts kind sir.

Ok, but the point is that he let in 1 goal against Vancouver (and then one in the shootout), 0 goals against Phoenix, 1 against LA, 2 against Nashville and 0 against Dallas. Of course it wasn't ONLY him. If it was only him he would have to score the goals too, but he was our most valuable player down the stretch. (followed closely by Z and Dats) I'm sorry for focusing more on Howard in the thread that is specifically about Howard, but I think you probably got my point.

Regardless, if Howard continues to play the way he has been, we'll be in for some exciting upsets!

LGW!

Guest Crymson

I don't think you understand the concept of carrying a team. It doesn't mean that one does all of the work, else the term would not exist.

I don't think you understand the concept of carrying a team. It doesn't mean that one does all of the work, else the term would not exist.

Actually I perfectly understand the concept and the man corrected himself. It means to do MOST of the work. Which isn't true. Not even close.

The statement was extreme and I pointed out the fact, as Mike Babcock, Howard HIMSELF, and dats and Z have said, is that this past week EVERYONE has stepped up. I wouldn't describe Howards performance as "carrying the team". That implies most players aren't performing as well and it was upto him to carry them on his shoulders (as the more formal use of the phrase which has its roots from a parent carrying a child on their shoulders when making a long journey). Historical fact of English phrases for you.

The past weeks performance would be stated "Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and the rest of the squad did an excellent job and helped their team uplift the redwings franchise towards their 22nd consecutive playoff appearance.". Not "howard carried the team"

Edited by kickazz

Everyone said his numbers would take a hit without Lidstrom and Stuart this year, all he did was have the best numbers of his career. And tied for the lead in shutouts. Hats off to Jimmy, I've been critical of him in the past but he was clutch this year when we needed him the most. Now he needs to go make a name for himself in the playoffs.

Actually I perfectly understand the concept and the man corrected himself. It means to do MOST of the work. Which isn't true. Not even close.

The statement was extreme and I pointed out the fact, as Mike Babcock, Howard HIMSELF, and dats and Z have said, is that this past week EVERYONE has stepped up. I wouldn't describe Howards performance as "carrying the team". That implies most players aren't performing as well and it was upto him to carry them on his shoulders (as the more formal use of the phrase which has its roots from a parent carrying a child on their shoulders when making a long journey). Historical fact of English phrases for you.

The past weeks performance would be stated "Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and the rest of the squad did an excellent job and helped their team uplift the redwings franchise towards their 22nd consecutive playoff appearance.". Not "howard carried the team"

well that is great his 2 shutouts in the last 4 games didn't carry the team and franzen, pasha, and z were hot the last 10 games.... what about the 30 games before those that howie stood on his head for us, almost every night, and gave us every chance to win when we couldn't even pot more than 1-2 goals?

detroit finished in 20th for g/g with 2.54, and finished in 5th for ga/g with 2.29, god I wish I could see what would happen if howard did "carry" this team all year... <_<

well that is great his 2 shutouts in the last 4 games didn't carry the team and franzen, pasha, and z were hot the last 10 games.... what about the 30 games before those that howie stood on his head for us, almost every night, and gave us every chance to win when we couldn't even pot more than 1-2 goals?

detroit finished in 20th for g/g with 2.54, and finished in 5th for ga/g with 2.29, god I wish I could see what would happen if howard did "carry" this team all year... <_<

You mean the game in Calgary with 2 fluke shots ? or the game on march 31 against chicago where he got pulled? Or maybe the game against Minnesota on March 20th where he let in 4 goals on 19 shots? Is that your description him "standing on his head for the past 30 games?"

Now, don't think I'm a Howard hater. I love Jimmy, but I'm more realistic about things than some of extreme fanatics out there. By no means was Howard the ONLY guy and the ONLY reason the red wings made it. Trust me I recognize the fact that Howard did an ELITE job this past week and a GREAT job the past month. Not an elite job, a great job in the past month. Someone pointed out a fact on the other thread that the Wings were 18-0-2 when they scored 3/4 or more goals. Where do those stats come from? Obviously the offense right? It's silly to keep acting like Howard carried the team when the contributions were from everyone stepping up. If Howard really did "carry" the team. He will get the Vezina. If he doesn't, none of the fanatics are right. My money's on Sergei Bobrovsky because he actually DID carry the team with a subpar roster and literally no superstar on that team.

Edited by kickazz

Guest The Axe

I give credit where its due. Howard played great from about game 15-20 on. Dude is a workhorse, and he is a great ambassador for the Red Wings more importantly. He's not out there Kaning it up between games. I like where the Wings sit with their goalies and their defensemen right now.

Guest DeGraa55

Outstanding goalie this year...

Ya you're right. Better stats that his career averages and he lost lids and Stuart. He mustve always just been average.

Why is this thread still open? Seriously it was just a troll posting this. Anyone can think Howard us average but stats prove you're wrong!

Guest The Axe

Ya you're right. Better stats that his career averages and he lost lids and Stuart. He mustve always just been average.

Why is this thread still open? Seriously it was just a troll posting this. Anyone can think Howard us average but stats prove you're wrong!

At the time it started, the stats weren't that great.

Guest Crymson

You mean the game in Calgary with 2 fluke shots ? or the game on march 31 against chicago where he got pulled? Or maybe the game against Minnesota on March 20th where he let in 4 goals on 19 shots? Is that your description him "standing on his head for the past 30 games?"

Now, don't think I'm a Howard hater. I love Jimmy, but I'm more realistic about things than some of extreme fanatics out there. By no means was Howard the ONLY guy and the ONLY reason the red wings made it. Trust me I recognize the fact that Howard did an ELITE job this past week and a GREAT job the past month. Not an elite job, a great job in the past month. Someone pointed out a fact on the other thread that the Wings were 18-0-2 when they scored 3/4 or more goals. Where do those stats come from? Obviously the offense right? It's silly to keep acting like Howard carried the team when the contributions were from everyone stepping up. If Howard really did "carry" the team. He will get the Vezina. If he doesn't, none of the fanatics are right. My money's on Sergei Bobrovsky because he actually DID carry the team with a subpar roster and literally no superstar on that team.

Given that he is the NHL's statistical leader over the past two months, I'd say that he has indeed done an ELITE job during that span.

Guest DeGraa55

At the time it started, the stats weren't that great.

Overreact less then? There's more than 2 games in a season.

Cute....

...at the time, Jimmy was playing pretty average. His rebound control was horrible and still is a little suspect. That, if anything, is the one thing that will hurt him. Cannot deny that as the season progressed so did Jimmy and in the end he was a HUGE part of the reason we made it to the playoffs.

He needs to play this way a ton now in order to justify his contract. Hope he is up to the task..so far he has done a great job, I hope he keeps it going. But ya, when the thread started he was playing pretty average...no need for personal attacks by calling someone a troll.

Holland will not give Jimmy 5M+.

Howard will get 4M.

Whoops! :lol::P

Guest The Axe

Overreact less then? There's more than 2 games in a season.

This is a discussion forum. You understand the concept of discussion, right? If you want to start a forum called "Indisputable Facts", be my guest. I will even post first:

The only NHL team Steve Yzerman ever played for is the Detroit Red Wings.

Can you feel your excitement level rising now?

Guest DeGraa55

This is a discussion forum. You understand the concept of discussion, right? If you want to start a forum called "Indisputable Facts", be my guest. I will even post first:

The only NHL team Steve Yzerman ever played for is the Detroit Red Wings.

Can you feel your excitement level rising now?

True but he is average.

Guest The Axe

True but he is average.

He's shown otherwise lately. Let's see how he holds up when it counts!!!

Given that he is the NHL's statistical leader over the past two months, I'd say that he has indeed done an ELITE job during that span.

Stats don't matter when you get pulled, scored on 4 times on 19 shots, and put it in your own net 2 times in one game. Stats do matter when you do none of that , which he did exactly last week. Last week he didn't mess up and played like he's a future hall of famer.

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting puck into your own net and getting pulled.

Edited by kickazz

He's shown otherwise lately. Let's see how he holds up when it counts!!!

I would find it even a little refreshing if you would just admit that you jumped the gun and you made a mistake instead of saying "well, we will see how he does now".

Stats don't matter when you get pulled, scored on 4 times on 19 shots, and put it in your own net 2 times in one game. Stats do matter when you do none of that , which he did exactly last week. Last week he didn't mess up and played like he's a future hall of famer.

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting puck into your own net and getting pulled.

what i don't get, while we rip into howard, is that the elites do the same darn thing. Bad games. Get pulled. Turn overs that lead to goals. but for some reason we ignore that (as do all sport fans when they singling out a player...it's almost like selective hearing) and magnify howard's common goalie mistakes...just to justify an argument. or to justify why he's a lower tier. but if quick does it? he gets a pass. lundqvist? pass. rinne? pass. now schneider get's all over these passes (and he has made some boo-boo's this season too).

We call these inconsistencies with howard. the other goalies? they are mistakes. I keep reading them here, and over at HFboards....but the double standard doesn't add up/make sense. Does Howard have another set of rules? But what does make sense is the overall season, correct? Why do people judge a player on their mistakes, then call them average..., and these are few,, but in the same breath ignore the many, MANY, awesome feats them have pulled for the team this season? It's like..."you messed up once howard, you turned over the puck and those are inconsistencies I do not tolerate!" " What? Other elite goalies do it too? Oh, those are just gaffs on their part..., you cannot be inconsistent!"

Howard: ....... Save % .923 "Is that good enough" ..."No! You are average because of a few bad games, howard. Accept it!"

Blown out proportion? Yea...but it sure as hell seems that Howard has to play the puck like Brodeur, or better. Post .920+ every game. 10+SO. If the Wings cannot score more than 2 goals? Who cares...Howard better get us to the 3rd round or better or he's just average at best...

i would only call one goalie elite, and that's Lundqvist...and he's even made the gaffs that Howard has over his career...many-a-times. Honestly? If we are sitting here tearing apart a goalie we got in howard...a .consistent .920+ goalie (one season aside)...we could always get bryz, as people still consider him a top 10 goalie and howard barely a top 20, sometimes he doesn't even crack top 25.