• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

I still think Mrazek has a chance to steal the starting spot back

Anywayyyy...

Filip Larsson Out Indefinately with LBI - University of Denver

Really not good. One of the reasons we were able to scoop him late in the draft was because he was plagued with LBI issues. Looks like we may have gambled and lost on this one...

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I still think Mrazek has a chance to steal the starting spot back

Anywayyyy...

Filip Larsson Out Indefinately with LBI - University of Denver

Really not good. One of the reasons we were able to scoop him late in the draft was because he was plagued with LBI issues. Looks like we may have gambled and lost on this one...

Umm....LBI? Little Boy Issues? Light Beer Intoxication? Long Board Injuries? Loud Bang Ignition? Louisiana Bureau of Investigation? Latina Body Inspector?

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hohooo

(Howard = Average) = Average

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

On 9/27/2018 at 6:58 AM, krsmith17 said:

Love or hate Howard, it would be a smart move to trade him this season and acquire assets. Assuming he puts together another decent season, and a team is in need of a goalie at or before the deadline...

Bernier is a capable starter for a non-playoff team. Much like Howard, he's not going to win or lose many games on his own, but he'll keep his team in most games, which is all you want as a bottom third of the league team. I think Sateri could be a viable backup options as well.

If we can trade Jimmy for a 2nd, or even 3rd round pick by mid-season, I think you'd be foolish not to...

Yep, if there's interest then trade him. Especially if they aren't planning to re-sign him and are willing to roll with Bernier/somebody.

16 hours ago, kliq said:

I'd be shocked if the Wings didnt re-sign Howard. They may trade him at the TDL, but I think he'll be back July 1st.

I can see him sticking around or coming back, cause Holland. But what's the point? He better come cheaper if he does.

He's not blocking anyone. He's familiar with the team, coaches, system, etc. He seems to be a good locker room guy. This team isn't competing anytime soon, so they don't really need an upgrade. I would rather re-sign Howard for 4-5 per for a couple of seasons, then bring in someone new who may not work out, or someone whose much more expensive, even if they're better.

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I can see him sticking around or coming back, cause Holland. But what's the point? He better come cheaper if he does.

I'd much rather have Howard as our backup then say Chad Johnson, Michal Neuvirth, or Brian Elliot etc. As long as he signs for backup money, I'd bring him back. As far as I know none of the kids are close to ready for the NHL so I can't see how it hurts.

42 minutes ago, kliq said:

I'd much rather have Howard as our backup then say Chad Johnson, Michal Neuvirth, or Brian Elliot etc. As long as he signs for backup money, I'd bring him back. As far as I know none of the kids are close to ready for the NHL so I can't see how it hurts.

I doubt he accepts less AAV than Bernier, unless Bernier steals the start job this year, but that looks doubtful so far. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I doubt he accepts less AAV than Bernier, unless Bernier steals the start job this year, but that looks doubtful so far. 

If he outplays him, you are probably right. I dont mind a higher $ though if its a short term deal. 1x4 would be fine with me.

5 hours ago, kliq said:

4 hours ago, kliq said:

If he outplays him, you are probably right. I dont mind a higher $ though if its a short term deal. 1x4 would be fine with me.

Howard is still proving to be a reliable starter. He's giving the team a chance to win pretty much every game. Aside from those two games against Toronto and Montreal, he's been great, behind a very young, inexperienced defense. If he can keep up his current level of play, and stay healthy, I'd be okay with re-signing him to a similar cap-hit, as long as it's short term (1-2 years).

It just blows my mind that so many people are against bringing Jimmy back. Who's going to replace him? None of the kids are close to ready, and none of the free agents will be much of an upgrade, if it all. Howard should be a perfect stop-gap until one of the kids (hopefully) emerge as a legitimate NHL quality goaltender.

So far, Bernier has disappointed. I still think he has a lot left to prove, but he needs to do that before I'd consider handing the reins to him...

9 hours ago, kliq said:

I'd probably be ok with a 2x4 as well.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Howard is still proving to be a reliable starter. He's giving the team a chance to win pretty much every game. Aside from those two games against Toronto and Montreal, he's been great, behind a very young, inexperienced defense. If he can keep up his current level of play, and stay healthy, I'd be okay with re-signing him to a similar cap-hit, as long as it's short term (1-2 years).

It just blows my mind that so many people are against bringing Jimmy back. Who's going to replace him? None of the kids are close to ready, and none of the free agents will be much of an upgrade, if it all. Howard should be a perfect stop-gap until one of the kids (hopefully) emerge as a legitimate NHL quality goaltender.

So far, Bernier has disappointed. I still think he has a lot left to prove, but he needs to do that before I'd consider handing the reins to him...

Right, we've got exactly zero kids waiting in the wings and you're probably just getting a worse FA for similar money. Howard's a career Wing and in all likelihood a well liked vet on the team. Just keep him.

I'm not completely done with Bernier either, he'll have better days

On 11/1/2018 at 8:31 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He's not blocking anyone. He's familiar with the team, coaches, system, etc. He seems to be a good locker room guy. This team isn't competing anytime soon, so they don't really need an upgrade. I would rather re-sign Howard for 4-5 per for a couple of seasons, then bring in someone new who may not work out, or someone whose much more expensive, even if they're better.

It's not that he's blocking anyone. Lots of people complained about having both Howard and Mrazek on the roster. Bernier makes one million less than Mrazek was. Still quite a bit tied up in two goalies, the situation hasn't really changed. If they bring him back for a season at 4 million though if they feel the need to. i wouldn't hate it. But, play it year by year, don't toss him another three years or anything.

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

It's not that he's blocking anyone. Lots of people complained about having both Howard and Mrazek on the roster. Bernier makes one million less than Mrazek was. Still quite a bit tied up in two goalies, the situation hasn't really changed. If they bring him back for a season at 4 million though if they feel the need to. i wouldn't hate it. But, play it year by year, don't toss him another three years or anything.

I said 4-5 per for a couple of seasons (1-2). Let's not go full on Holland.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Howard's Strong Play Will Earn Him Extension

The Red Wings are happy with Howard, and Howard is happy in Detroit. That is why the sides are sure to agree on a contract extension this season.

The Red Wings are committed to keeping Howard. He likely will receive a multiyear contract, and the tandem of Howard and Jonathan Bernier will be manning the nets in Detroit for a couple more seasons.

None of the Red Wings' goaltending prospects (Filip Larsson, Keith Petruzzelli, Joren van Pottelberghe) will be NHL-ready in at least the next several seasons. Howard is better than what they have in Grand Rapids (Harri Sateri, Patrik Rybar). And the Red Wings see no point in searching for a better alternative in July's thin free-agent market.

The Red Wings know what they have in Howard, someone who gives them solid goaltending for the most part, despite facing a lot of rubber (the Wings are being outshot by an average margin of 35-28 and have outshot their opponent only twice in 15 games).

"If you go over the course of the last couple years, I think Jimmy has been excellent," coach Jeff Blashill said.

The Red Wings are rebuilding but still want to win, at least be competitive. They get that with Howard, which is why he'll be sticking around past this season.

Howard cannot be stopped. He crushes all who dare threaten his holy throne between the pipes. Coming back on a multi-year deal most likely.

54d.jpg

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Peeps gonna lose it over this but I personally think it's the right move. No one's going to cough up a 1st for Jimmy and he'll (probably) be worth more as a stabilizing presence in the next 2-3 years then a late 2nd or 3rd round pick will be. 

42 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Peeps gonna lose it over this but I personally think it's the right move. No one's going to cough up a 1st for Jimmy and he'll (probably) be worth more as a stabilizing presence in the next 2-3 years then a late 2nd or 3rd round pick will be. 

I want Howard to be extended beyond this season, but best case scenario in my opinion would still be to shop him up until the deadline, with the understanding that he will get a new contract this summer. Maybe some team will lose their number one long term and cough up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. Bernier and Sateri / Rybar can hold down the fort for the last few months, maybe even improve our draft position...

31 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I want Howard to be extended beyond this season, but best case scenario in my opinion would still be to shop him up until the deadline, with the understanding that he will get a new contract this summer. Maybe some team will lose their number one long term and cough up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. Bernier and Sateri / Rybar can hold down the fort for the last few months, maybe even improve our draft position...

Sure. BCS for sure, but how often does this scenario ever really unfold? Also, as @Dabura touched on, Sergei "I turn into wet newspaper every spring" Bobrovsky is gonna f*** everything up anyway. 

Just sign Jimmy, trade Nyquist and Daley, and take our 13-14 draft pick to the mother fukin BANK!