• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, derblaueClaus said:

It's exactly like the Dan Cleary situation, even worse. Goalies are more important than 4th-line wingers.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes. I would...

This.

Matching a 3 year deal on a player who had already proven over previous seasons that he was spent. A forward who had younger, deserving players waiting to take that roster spot and was easily replaceable from within.

And bringing back a goalie on a one year, last chance/show me type deal who had a horrendous season, but has proven over his career to be a quality player at his position. A guy who happens to play a position the team NEEDS to fill and doesn't have any NHL level or NHL ready players in the organization to fill it.

Let's grow apples in Florida cuz they're the same as oranges, right?

11 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Matching a 3 year deal on a player who had already proven over previous seasons that he was spent. A forward who had younger, deserving players waiting to take that roster spot and was easily replaceable from within.

And bringing back a goalie on a one year, last chance/show me type deal who had a horrendous season, but has proven over his career to be a quality player at his position. A guy who happens to play a position the team NEEDS to fill and doesn't have any NHL level or NHL ready players in the organization to fill it.

I could give a f*** about Cleary, but Howard is every bit deserving of a classy retirement press conference and they’ll likely give him a job, but certainly not another players contract. They bring him back next year and he’s even older and likely just as bad if not worse. So then you’re probably going to have to make a move anyways. This is a situation to sort out in the summer. Bernier if anything has proved he can hack it as a decent starter in transition years, but he needs a backup that can actually give him a day off here and there without letting in 3 goals in the first 10 minutes, because chances are Bernier’s play will dip or ebb and flow too. 

17 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Who said anything about a three year deal?

..."who had already proven over previous seasons that he was spent"... Who are you talking about here? That sounds like Howard to me...

No, there are no "younger, deserving players waiting to take (Howard's) roster spot" / he is not "replaceable from within", but that doesn't mean he isn't very "easily replaceable"... Literally take any goaltender off the UFA market (doesn't have to be one of the top guys), and it's a huge upgrade over Howard *at this point in his career*.

Yes, Howard "has proven over his career to be a quality player at his position". What he's done throughout his career is irrelevant though. He's done. He needs to retire. The ONLY way Yzerman should even consider bringing him back next season, is if he knows first hand that Jimmy is working his ass off all summer, comes into camp in the best shape of his career, and proves it on a PTO, near league minimum contract. That's not going to happen though, so Howard should just retire before he further ruins his career / reputation with the fans, the way Cleary did...

Anyway, I'll say it again... I would absolutely, 100% take a flyer on a way past his prime, veteran 14th forward, that wouldn't be expected to play at all, let alone big minutes, over a past his prime Howard, that would need to be relied on to play (lose) 30ish games next season...

Was Howard a good, above average goaltender ? Yes. But that is not the point. He is old. And that simply makes it very unlikely that he will back to his former self. Could he maybe? Yes, as goaltending is voodoo. But the chances a slim. And we don't have to gamble on them, especially with the alternatives there are on the market.

Only thing that is in favor of rehiring Howard is, that we probably won't be a playoff team next season with or without him. So the negative impact of his hiring would be minimal. We could even help the tank with it. But it's not fair hiring a guy with that premise.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, Howard "has proven over his career to be a quality player at his position". What he's done throughout his career is irrelevant though. He's done. He needs to retire. The ONLY way Yzerman should even consider bringing him back next season, is if he knows first hand that Jimmy is working his ass off all summer, comes into camp in the best shape of his career, and proves it on a PTO, near league minimum contract. That's not going to happen though, so Howard should just retire before he further ruins his career / reputation with the fans, the way Cleary did...

Sources say the exact opposite is happening. He's getting bigger. Accumulating more mass. Remember when you were a kid and wondered why they didn't just put a huge fat guy in the net that can cover the whole net frame? You're about to see that what-if in action next season.

6 minutes ago, roboturner said:

So uhhh.....To save me from reading this, is it safe to assume the general opinion of Howard around here has uhh, changed slight from the last time I was here?

Correct. We used to think Howard was average. Now we thinks he's awesome.

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Correct. We used to think Howard was average. Now we thinks he's awesome.

Or we are starting to believe his new sumo training might pave the way for a cup.  Wings go 96 - 0 as he fills the net with his flesh and there is no openings to score. Jimmy will need a BIG truck for the parade if the sumo thing works out for us and him.

10 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Or we are starting to believe his new sumo training might pave the way for a cup.  Wings go 96 - 0 as he fills the net with his flesh and there is no openings to score. Jimmy will need a BIG truck for the parade if the sumo thing works out for us and him.

300px-Truck.jpg

sumo.jpg?w=940

That's the dream boys

31 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Some research was tried https://interestingengineering.com/sumo-goalie-vs-nhl-player-bigger-goalie-better but then again it was a sumo turned goalie not goalie turned sumo. 

Evolution of goaltending:

>Stand up
>Stacking pads
>Butterfly
>Hybrid
>Kirby style

nintendo-kirby-eating-sucking-up-everyth

8 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

96-0 would leave them 2 games shy of a Stanley Cup win.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

4QR77vA.jpg

Howard is anything but average. He's gigantic. Even with him sucking it in for the photo you can see his big honking man milkers protruding through the many layers of clothing he uses to hide his disgusting ham planet body. I'm worried that Mickey will be sucked in to his orbit.

Can't wait to see this man in net again. God I love him.