hi-res-178202069-jimmy-howard-poses-afte

You've seen coffee with Carly...

Now, coming this fall season...

Hotdogs with Howard

Tendies with the goaltender

No rules mukbang with the big jim gang

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

I'd rather extend Ned tbh. Unless someone overpays

Goalie market has nice demand... if there were any a time to sell one...

Id want a straight up 1st. Then just sign a backup for Husso in the offseason and wait for Cossa. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:59 PM, bIueadams said:

You've seen coffee with Carly...

Now, coming this fall season...

Hotdogs with Howard

Tendies with the goaltender

No rules mukbang with the big jim gang

I assume most here have heard of  the singer/songwriter Jimmy Buffett?

Well  how about Jimmy's Buffet? Can have 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' play as the intro...

6zx1i7.jpg

20 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Goalie market has nice demand... if there were any a time to sell one...

Id want a straight up 1st. Then just sign a backup for Husso in the offseason and wait for Cossa. 

Yeah, I'd either want a first or a high second. Outside of that, I think he has more value in being re-signed.

Ned clears

Goalie situation not as promising as it was this summer. Hellberg is our 2nd best and he wasnt even on our roster this summer. Husso has returned to earth. Cossa looks worse than Walstedt. GR goalies all awful. 

I wonder what SY does this offseason. If Ned doesnt return to form soon im guessing he will go shopping for a replacement. Someone more reliable than Ned and Hellberg. 

59 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Ned clears

Goalie situation not as promising as it was this summer. Hellberg is our 2nd best and he wasnt even on our roster this summer. Husso has returned to earth. Cossa looks worse than Walstedt. GR goalies all awful. 

I wonder what SY does this offseason. If Ned doesnt return to form soon im guessing he will go shopping for a replacement. Someone more reliable than Ned and Hellberg. 

Husso/Cossa is fine

16 hours ago, Walman6million said:

Ned clears

It's almost as if our goalie problems are a product of the system and development issues. 

When has this team last developed an elite goalie? The last capable one was Osgood, and he had many issues himself. 

With other teams, goalies seem to grow on trees. In Detroit, even when good ones are signed and traded for, they turn to s***. 

This franchise needs a review from top to bottom as far as development goes. Because GR is pretty s*** too. In Tampa, the AHL affiliate was a strength and pumped out winning, NHL-ready players to keep their depth going all the time. GR is just as much of a dumpster fire as Detroit. 

You're nuts. Our young players have consistently outperformed their draft positions and expectations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our player development. The problems with this team are basically three fold:

1. We don't have a 2C (still)

2. Our defense is not great. Hronek broke out, Walman is better than we though, Seider regressed, and everyone else is mediocre at best.

3. We were missing roughly 80 goals from the lineup for most of the year. Add Bert, Vrana, and Fabbri to the lineup and we're solidly in the playoff picture.

But there's no way you can point a finger at player development. Which drafted player has under performed? Not Edvinsson, Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, Buium, Hanas, Berggren, Sodorblom, Wallinder, Buchelnikov, etc.  Maybe Cossa? I guess. But that's hardly an indictment of the entire player development system. Our player development might be one of the best in the league (now).

Edited by kipwinger

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You're nuts. Our young players have consistently outperformed their draft positions and expectations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our player development. The problems with this team are basically three fold:

1. We don't have a 2C (still)

2. Our defense is not great. Hronek broke out, Walman is better than we though, Seider regressed, and everyone else is mediocre at best.

3. We were missing roughly 80 goals from the lineup for most of the year. Add Bert, Vrana, and Fabbri to the lineup and we're solidly in the playoff picture.

But there's no way you can point a finger at player development. Which drafted player has under performed? Not Edvinsson, Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, Buium, Hanas, Berggren, Sodorblom, Wallinder, Buchelnikov, etc.  Maybe Cossa? I guess. But that's hardly an indictment of the entire player development system. Our player development might be one of the best in the league (now).

I should have been more specific. I don't think individual player development has been bad outside of goalies. I'll concede that development was a poor use of words there (outside of goaltending). I'm more talking about overall team play. Like, coaching staffs and whatnot need to be heavily reviewed because we can't have our farm teams playing like s***. The kids need to learn how to win. 

Agree we don't have a 2C, but we aren't gonna be a perennial contender with Larkin as a 1C either. 

The defense is the one position I'm not worried about. The talent is in the system there. But once again, there are issues with overall team play that must be addressed. That is the part of development I have been referring to, albeit not very clearly. Good individual stats is fun and all but means little if they can't translate to AHL wins. Though the goaltending problems in this franchise are helping nothing.

I'll once again reference Tampa and how strong their AHL affiliate was. Perennial Calder Cup contenders. Players from that roster were able to jump into the NHL lineup seamlessly and perform. Something in GR gotta change to start turning individual success into wins, because right now it isn't happening. 

Edited by marcaractac

I was listening to a Toronto guy talking about how the Leafs have focused on emphasizing vertical control between their NHL and AHL teams. They are essentially forcing the Marlies coach to mimic Keefe's systems to a T. The idea being that when they call someone up they will already know exactly how to play and can contribute effectively immedately.

Not sure if we are in the right phase of our team for this. The obvious downside to this strategy is your AHL personel could vary wildly to your NHL roster, therfore you could be using your AHL players ineffectively in the AHL. And you also have to effectively neuter your AHL coach. Otherwise it makes sense to do.

When it comes to goalies, just stop drafting them. Problem solved.

13 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

I was listening to a Toronto guy talking about how the Leafs have focused on emphasizing vertical control between their NHL and AHL teams. They are essentially forcing the Marlies coach to mimic Keefe's systems to a T. The idea being that when they call someone up they will already know exactly how to play and can contribute effectively immedately.

Not sure if we are in the right phase of our team for this. The obvious downside to this strategy is your AHL personel could vary wildly to your NHL roster, therfore you could be using your AHL players ineffectively in the AHL. And you also have to effectively neuter your AHL coach. Otherwise it makes sense to do.

I'd just like to see a coaching staff in GR that can get them to win games. Learning how to win is a pretty important part of player development. Right now our prospects are getting none of that. 

Individual success is fine and all, and it's great to see how some of our prospects not yet in the AHL are performing. But once they get to GR it should be prepping for a decent playoff run. Not winning one night and getting blown out the next. It's no surprise those same results carry over to the Wings roster.

Standards should be established before these kids touch the winged wheel. 

9 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Dont draft goalies in the top 1/2 of the draft unless there cant miss. Cossa was the opposite -boom or bust- way to much risk especially trading up to get him.

SYs only glaring mistake so far imo was taking Cossa. Some will say Chiarot and Copp but I dont mind either of those signings.