• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

On 2/6/2013 at 11:30 AM, Guest The Axe said:

I told you all this guy was just average and would struggle without #5. Seems like the Mrazek train is leaving the station and everyone is getting on board. I punched my ticket.

@Jonas Mahonas Has the train left the station yet? Or is it moving backwards? :lol:

On 4/28/2013 at 5:29 PM, kickazz said:

He didn't carry the team to the playoffs. It was a collective effort from the whole team, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, AND Howard. Franzen with 7 goals in past few weeks, Zetterberg with 2 goals and 9 points in 4 games and Datsyuk somwhere similar with 10 points or so this past week. Without the offense, there is no winning. Without a goalie, there is no winning. Collective effort, all the leaders stepped up. Please stick to the facts kind sir.

Lol keep your pants on there young fella.

2 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

You're laughable

Ad hominem attacks. The last resort of someone who can't defend their position.

"Boohoo Petr sucks and I can't come to grips with reality"

Get over it and observe the rules.

DO post constructively. If you can't add anything meaningful to a discussion, don't bother.

DON'T personally attack other members. This includes name-calling, flame-baiting, etc..

9 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

The Karlsson idiocy at Ottawa made me think...is there actually any good goalie, who is not already getting closer to his 40s (yes, Henrik...sorry..), whose GM might be dumb enough to trade him? And at what price?

Here is a list of starters, i'll bold the one's I could see being traded (not necessarily that I would want). I'm sure anyone COULD be traded, but im talking for nothing significant in return.

Anaheim    John Gibson
Arizona    Antti Raanta
Boston    Tuukka Rask
Buffalo    Robin Lehner
Calgary    Mike Smith
Carolina    Cam Ward
Chicago    Corey Crawford
Colorado    Semyon Varlamov
Columbus    Sergei Bobrovsky
Dallas    Ben Bishop
Detroit    Jimmy Howard
Edmonton    Cameron Talbot
Florida    Roberto Luongo
L.A.    Jonathan Quick
Minnesota    Devan Dubnyk
Montreal    Carey Price
Nashville    Pekka Rinne 
New Jersey    Cory Schneider
New York I    Jaroslav Halak
New York R    Henrik Lundqvist
Ottawa    Craig Anderson
Philadelphia    Brian Elliott
Pittsburgh    Matt Murray
San Jose    Martin Jones
St. Louis    Jake Allen
Tampa Bay    Andrei Vasilevskiy
Toronto    Frederik Andersen
Vancouver    Jacob Markstrom
Vegas    Marc-Andre Fleury
Washington    Braden Holtby
Winnipeg    Connor Hellebuyck

Edited by kliq

4 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Well...those give me at least one of: a) no clear update, b) age concerns or c) health concerns. :sleepy:

If the Wings were to dump Howard and acquire one of the above, the best choice may be Antti Raanta. No injury concerns that I know of, he's 28, and considering where he plays, he has pretty good stats. Did great as a backup in NY and Chicago.

He's actually a UFA this summer.

Edited by kliq

19 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

The Karlsson idiocy at Ottawa made me think...is there actually any good goalie, who is not already getting closer to his 40s (yes, Henrik...sorry..), whose GM might be dumb enough to trade him? And at what price?

What does Karlsson have to do with a good goalie being available? Why would we trade for a goalie? Am I missing something?...

All Karlsson got to do with it is, that him becoming available out of nowhere made me just think, who else might be. Who could be willing to blow up their team after missing playoffs, underperforming, whatever?

And why would we trade for a goalie? Because our goalie is just not good enough to win a cup. The only argument for keeping Jimmy and not doing anything is...as long as we dont have all the other required parts, the goalie alone wont win us anything.

On the other hand..you look at the teams winning the Cups recently, they all had a legit 1C, legit 1D and a Top10 goalie (or a goalie, who skyrocketed into those heights just for that respective playoff run). Since Jimmy tends to become worse come playoff time, I'm not overly optimistic there...

We dont have any of that parts (Hank is great, but declining, and Larkin is still some years away) and you know what? It might be a good idea to start getting them.

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

5 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

All Karlsson got to do with it is, that him becoming available out of nowhere made me just think, who else might be. Who could be willing to blow up their team after missing playoffs, underperforming, whatever?

And why would we trade for a goalie? Because our goalie is just not good enough to win a cup. The only argument for keeping Jimmy and not doing anything is...as long as we dont have all the other required parts, the goalie alone wont win us anything.

On the other hand..you look at the teams winning the Cups recently, they all had a legit 1C, legit 1D and a Top10 goalie (or a goalie, who skyrocketed into those heights just for that respective playoff run). Since Jimmy tends to become worse come playoff time, I'm not overly optimistic there...

We dont have any of that parts (Hank is great, but declining, and Larkin is still some years away) and you know what? It might be a good idea to start getting them.

Karlsson is available because Eugene Melnyk is a terrible owner. No other team in the league is dumb enough to offload a franchise defenseman, goalie or any position, in their prime.

Sure there may be better goalies to be had for a price, but Howard is fine for now. This team isn't anywhere close to contending, so why spend assets for an insignificant upgrade in net? We need to be patient, draft and develop. Best case scenario, we're three years away from contending for a Cup. Hopefully Larsson or Petruzzelli is ready by then, or shortly after.

If I'm Holland, I'm keeping Howard for another year, trade him at next year's deadline and shop for a cheap stop gap the following off-season, assuming Coreau or some other unknown doesn't emerge as the goalie of the future before then... Unfortunately, we just traded away the goalie that could have been that, but whatever. Keep Howard for now...

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Karlsson is available because Eugene Melnyk is a terrible owner. No other team in the league is dumb enough to offload a franchise defenseman, goalie or any position, in their prime.

Sure there may be better goalies to be had for a price, but Howard is fine for now. This team isn't anywhere close to contending, so why spend assets for an insignificant upgrade in net? We need to be patient, draft and develop. Best case scenario, we're three years away from contending for a Cup. Hopefully Larsson or Petruzzelli is ready by then, or shortly after.

If I'm Holland, I'm keeping Howard for another year, trade him at next year's deadline and shop for a cheap stop gap the following off-season, assuming Coreau or some other unknown doesn't emerge as the goalie of the future before then... Unfortunately, we just traded away the goalie that could have been that, but whatever. Keep Howard for now...

Agreed. I will say though, if we could sign Raanta for cheap (say 2-3 mil) I would do it and then trade Howard at the deadline. Then the following year bring Howard back as the backup (1-2 mil) and we would be set. Raanta/Howard at 5mil total would be nice. Wont happen, I know that lol. I'm sure some team will overpay for Raanta.

12 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

How often has that "bringing back players, who we just recently shipped out at the deadline, in the following offseason"-thing, that is brought up so frequently, actually happened? ;)

Not often, but it does happen. The Leafs did it with Daniel Winnik, but thats all I can think about off the top of my head.