• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

You have a tattoo of Calvin pissing on the logo also? Even now you make excuses for why we aren't playing worse and why we will in the near future. Come March and we are still playing well it's gonna turn into "Just wait til April when we are good and tired, boy will we suck then." And i'm just waiting for the new thread to pop up as soon as we go on a 4-5 losing skid at some point this season making sure everyone here knows you were "right".

I'm fine with criticism, I really am, but I don't think i've read a positive word you've typed about this team. Ever. A balance of good and bad is fine on a team fan site, but the consistent and repetitive ripping is bound to draw some negative attention, it's nothing personal but ffs act like you are a fan of the team once a month.

And no, cutting Howard and letting Mrazek play after he played one NHL game and performed well would definitely make Holland look like a fool, which is your every wish but isn't going to happen in the real NHL. So no, I don't see how that works, a Victor Fasth scenario is very rare and far between, and outside of injury Hiller has been much worse than Howard over the last couple seasons. Mrazek is hardly a proven and viable replacement for Howard if we even did need one, which we don't.

The vote tally on this thread sitting at 1 star about sums it up.

I just can't believe Babcock is playing Howard again next game. Jimmy is so-so to start the season (due in part to the team around him), then finally gets a breather and comes back strong only to start to fizzle again. He'll have played the last 4, which while not a stretch, it does seem like the guy can't get a rest. He plays better when he is rested and hungry.

At this rate Jimmy will see 44 of 48 games and if his slumps don't bury us, he'll be completely taxed by playoffs. I get that Mrazek is young and yet unproven, but give the kid some more starts and keep Jimmy rested. I would prefer to see Jimmy playing 3/4 of the games unless the back-up is sinking us.

And if Babcock would play M-Raz more, say every third or fourth game, maybe Jimmy would feel motivated to play better. He sure stood on his head after the kid came in and played as well as he did. I could say I'd like to see that same effort from him every time he's in net, but again, I go back to the fact that he's not the only one who phones it in at times. I don't think there's one particular solution, but rather a lot of things that need to be tweaked. It's doable, but...

If only I knew who "M-Raz' was.

Well, he wasn't in the net for one so Jimmy didn't really give up five anyways.

Kronwall and White were responsible for all four. Jimmy was fine tonight. His defense turned the puck over and left two players wide open at point blank range.

Edited by GoWings1905

It doesn't matter if it was Howard's fault or not, if we lose it's Howards fault according to the logic of this thread. Considering it was pointed out that Howard apparently gave up 5 the empty net goal was his fault also. White and Kronwall's horrible play was Howards fault also because I guess he didn't motivate them well enough before the game? Anything short of a 36 save shutout tonight was unacceptable, for shame Jimmy. :dozing:

Guest Crymson

I just can't believe Babcock is playing Howard again next game. Jimmy is so-so to start the season (due in part to the team around him), then finally gets a breather and comes back strong only to start to fizzle again. He'll have played the last 4, which while not a stretch, it does seem like the guy can't get a rest. He plays better when he is rested and hungry.

At this rate Jimmy will see 44 of 48 games and if his slumps don't bury us, he'll be completely taxed by playoffs. I get that Mrazek is young and yet unproven, but give the kid some more starts and keep Jimmy rested. I would prefer to see Jimmy playing 3/4 of the games unless the back-up is sinking us.

He did his job: he gave the team plenty of a chance to win the game. They responded by hanging him out to dry. Howard cannot win games on his own. That he does not steal games on a nightly basis is not indicative of a "slump," as you put it.

Edited by Crymson

Guest The Axe

I really question your intentions to take a stab like this after a loss like we took tonight Axe, seriously.

We need a change of scenery at Goalie. Im sorry, but we need an elite goalie to bail out our less than elite team. Howard isnt it. Thats plain and simple.

We need a change of scenery at Goalie. Im sorry, but we need an elite goalie to bail out our less than elite team. Howard isnt it. Thats plain and simple.

An in his prime Brodeur would have a hard time with all the horrific turnovers this D produces. What we need is another top D man and less injuries

You want an elite goalie like Miller who is playing worse this season and has a more complete team in front of him? You would hate him in a week anyway, maybe we can rotate goalies off waivers until one gets us a shutout and then cut him as soon as he allows one goal. The goalie shuffle has worked out brilliantly for Philly over the years that's exactly what we need, consistency be damned.

Go take a look at elite goalie numbers this season like Quick, Miller, Lundqvist and compare those numbers to Howard and reassess the situation.

I guess we need a thread for each and every player. That way when they play well we can talk about their HOF career and when they play bad we can talk about how crappy they are.

As for Howard, not sure how much more he can do. If it wasn't for him we would have a losing record and be giving up 7 or 8 goals a game.

An in his prime Brodeur would have a hard time with all the horrific turnovers this D produces. What we need is another top D man and less injuries

While I concur with this regarding our D, I am all for giving Howard a break and letting M-Raz get about 4 or 5 games in a row so Jimmy gets that little (or huge) push he needs to "defend" his #1 spot. M-Raz is ready, and in two years he could very well be the #1 guy here. IMO he has more skills than Howard and is/will be the better of the two. Howard needs to sit and get angry about it and secure his job for the next couple of seasons...oh ya, winning big games in the playoffs once in awhile would help too...but that is a different book and right now this team is not in that story...

Edited by LeftWinger

Whatever man If you know so much maybe you can see if you can get Kenny's job?

Honestly, you dont have to be a GM to be a good judge of talent. I can guarantee that half of the users on this forum can judge NHL talent just as good as Holland and some even better. Then only thing most of us lack is the business sense and aspect of the game. I know Axe is far from a Jimmy supporter and he is entitled to his opinion. I will NEVER like Franzine and nothing he can do or anyone can say will change my mind. Just our opinions. BUT, that doesn't mean that we or you or anyone cannot have a saavy sense of judging talent, we just don't have the means or resources Holland has or credentials to be in his spot. But I am willing to bet if a few of our beloved friends on here had all of Hollands resourses and credentials and business sense, they would be just as good if not a better GM in the league...

Edited by LeftWinger

Honestly, you dont have to be a GM to be a good judge of talent. I can guarantee that half of the users on this forum can judge NHL talent just as good as Holland and some even better. Then only thing most of us lack is the business sense and aspect of the game. I know Axe is far from a Jimmy supporter and he is entitled to his opinion. I will NEVER like Franzine and nothing he can do or anyone can say will change my mind. Just our opinions. BUT, that doesn't mean that we or you or anyone cannot have a saavy sense of judging talent, we just don't have the means or resources Holland has or credentials to be in his spot. But I am willing to bet if a few of our beloved friends on here had all of Hollands resourses and credentials and business sense, they would be just as good if not a better GM in the league...

Yes and no. Yes most fans can see if player X has talent and plays well. the trick is can you see how well that player will play in 5 years. For even the best scouts and GM it is the toughest part of the job. The second hardest is not hitting the panic button things get tough. Yet at the sme time, trying to find ways to improve your team.

It's fine to have an opinion but when you come off as you KNOW IT ALL and your opinion matters every time you post a thread? Yeah that says it all. Howard is average thread says it all. Thread should be locked in my opinion.

Next thing we will be hearing next year/season or this year is Dats or Z is average. Stupid thread tbh and I'm ashamed as a Wings fan to be posting in it. Night fellow Wings fans...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Guest The Axe

He's currently 29th in save percentage, 32nd in goals against average, and 15th in wins. I think I might have been generous in saying he's average.

From NHL.com.

Yes this is called "the source" but it doesn't answer the question of how minimum games played factor into these numbers. 14 goalies in front of Howard have played 3 games or less, which pretty much puts your statistics on Howard in the null and void column. He is currently in company with these awful goaltenders going by what you are looking at on NHL.com; Miller, Lundqvist, Ward, Backstrom, and Fleury. Statistically he's ahead of Quick, Bryzgalov, Smith, and Halak respectively.

So unless you are considering Yann Danis the best goalie in the league this year, who sits at number 1 on your list along with Chad Johnson and Darcy Krumper who also are on top of the list from your source, the numbers you offer are just flat out wrong. You can't really count one or two games played by backup goalies and throw Howard that far down the rankings, not quite how stats work in this argument.