• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#221 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

And if Babcock would play M-Raz more, say every third or fourth game, maybe Jimmy would feel motivated to play better. He sure stood on his head after the kid came in and played as well as he did. I could say I'd like to see that same effort from him every time he's in net, but again, I go back to the fact that he's not the only one who phones it in at times. I don't think there's one particular solution, but rather a lot of things that need to be tweaked. It's doable, but...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#222 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

And if Babcock would play M-Raz more, say every third or fourth game, maybe Jimmy would feel motivated to play better. He sure stood on his head after the kid came in and played as well as he did. I could say I'd like to see that same effort from him every time he's in net, but again, I go back to the fact that he's not the only one who phones it in at times. I don't think there's one particular solution, but rather a lot of things that need to be tweaked. It's doable, but...

Agreed. The Wings are more than an elite goalie away from being an elite team.

#223 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

IMO, there is an intersting trend with the "great goalies" in the NHL.  We look at Bryz in Phoenix when he was a vezina candidate, Mike Smith in Phoenix, Ryan Miller in Buffalo, even Craig Anderson when he was in Colorado and these goalies are on teams who get out shot most games because their team just isn't that good.  They are constantly getting peppered with shot and have to make 40 saves a game.  They are good goalies, but their stats get inflated because of the number of shots they see.  Its noticeable that goalies who get a lot of shots per might, and are constantly getting action, are better throughout the game.

Bryz left Phoenix to a better team getting less shots a night, he struggled.  Brian Elliot joined the best defensive team in the league and became an all star.  Craig Anderson left Colorado and sucked it up his first year in Ottawa.  

IMO, it shows that it is harder to make saves when you have to sit at your end for most of the period with no action.  Chris Osgood and Jimmy Howard have done this quite well.  They have the mental toughness to be prepared with for the occasional chance.  Luongo struggled big time with this in Vancouver.  He is a great talent but he was mentally weak.

That is why Jimmy is great.  He learned mental toughness from Chris Osgood, and Jimmy is more talented than Osgood.  Its more than just raw skill.  Jimmy has great talent, great size, elite competitiveness, and an elite mentality.

Ask anyone who has played the position, they all prefer to get peppered with shots. It's far easier to keep your head and body in the game when you're working and moving. There is nothing worse than standing around and getting cold.

#224 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ask anyone who has played the position, they all prefer to get peppered with shots. It's far easier to keep your head and body in the game when you're working and moving. There is nothing worse than standing around and getting cold.

Exactly, people don't take this into account, or don't realize this, but it is so true. The fact that Howie plays as well as he does on nights where he stands around and barely sees any pucks is amazing on it's own

#225 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Axe you also continued to rail this team saying we were pretty much doomed to fail this season and Holland would get what's coming to him at the end of the year because of our miserable performance... As we sit in a playoff spot. Now that it appears you are wrong about that so far, it's time to start stabbing elsewhere, in this case, Howard. And of course it's followed by another new thread by you self assuring yourself that you have to get some point across to drag this team down further. I'm really starting to question whether or not you are a Wings fan or a fan of another team incognito.

Howard is fine, more importantly, WE HAVE A WINNING RECORD. Only Yankees and Flyers fans should have room to complain considering the season that's been put forth so far, but we aren't those kinds of fans. Is it that hard to sit back, appreciate the fact that we have hockey back and we are playing a hell of a lot better than most people anticipated? 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#226 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

This thread is going to go up and down more than a toilet seat.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#227 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Axe you also continued to rail this team saying we were pretty much doomed to fail this season and Holland would get what's coming to him at the end of the year because of our miserable performance... As we sit in a playoff spot. Now that it appears you are wrong about that so far, it's time to start stabbing elsewhere, in this case, Howard. And of course it's followed by another new thread by you self assuring yourself that you have to get some point across to drag this team down further. I'm really starting to question whether or not you are a Wings fan or a fan of another team incognito.

Howard is fine, more importantly, WE HAVE A WINNING RECORD. Only Yankees and Flyers fans should have room to complain considering the season that's been put forth so far, but we aren't those kinds of fans. Is it that hard to sit back, appreciate the fact that we have hockey back and we are playing a hell of a lot better than most people anticipated? 

To be fair it's still very early and only 3 points separate the 4 seed and missing the playoffs entirely. 

#228 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Lots of home games and very little travel so far. Wait yil March. Then you will see the real boo birds. I love the team. I gotta Wings tattoo on my arm. I just dont like the GM and blind loyalty to players. Howard is a UFA at years end. ****** bag Holland is probably figuring out how much of a raise to give him instead of figuring out what we can go after if we cut him and let Mraz play. See how that works?

#229 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

You have a tattoo of Calvin pissing on the logo also? Even now you make excuses for why we aren't playing worse and why we will in the near future. Come March and we are still playing well it's gonna turn into "Just wait til April when we are good and tired, boy will we suck then." And i'm just waiting for the new thread to pop up as soon as we go on a 4-5 losing skid at some point this season making sure everyone here knows you were "right".

I'm fine with criticism, I really am, but I don't think i've read a positive word you've typed about this team. Ever. A balance of good and bad is fine on a team fan site, but the consistent and repetitive ripping is bound to draw some negative attention, it's nothing personal but ffs act like you are a fan of the team once a month. 

And no, cutting Howard and letting Mrazek play after he played one NHL game and performed well would definitely make Holland look like a fool, which is your every wish but isn't going to happen in the real NHL. So no, I don't see how that works, a Victor Fasth scenario is very rare and far between, and outside of injury Hiller has been much worse than Howard over the last couple seasons. Mrazek is hardly a proven and viable replacement for Howard if we even did need one, which we don't. 

The vote tally on this thread sitting at 1 star about sums it up.

#230 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I just can't believe Babcock is playing Howard again next game. Jimmy is so-so to start the season (due in part to the team around him), then finally gets a breather and comes back strong only to start to fizzle again. He'll have played the last 4, which while not a stretch, it does seem like the guy can't get a rest. He plays better when he is rested and hungry.

At this rate Jimmy will see 44 of 48 games and if his slumps don't bury us, he'll be completely taxed by playoffs. I get that Mrazek is young and yet unproven, but give the kid some more starts and keep Jimmy rested. I would prefer to see  Jimmy playing 3/4 of the games unless the back-up is sinking us.

#231 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

If only I knew who "M-Raz' was. 

#232 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

If only I knew who "M-Raz' was. 

jason mraz. f***in sauce goalie my man.

#233 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Mrazmataz

#234 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

5 spot on the siv

#235 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Well, he wasn't in the net for one so Jimmy didn't really give up five anyways.

Kronwall and White were responsible for all four. Jimmy was fine tonight. His defense turned the puck over and left two players wide open at point blank range.

Edited by GoWings1905, 15 February 2013 - 10:33 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#236 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

You blame Jimmy tonight you are the siv.

#237 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

It doesn't matter if it was Howard's fault or not, if we lose it's Howards fault according to the logic of this thread. Considering it was pointed out that Howard apparently gave up 5 the empty net goal was his fault also. White and Kronwall's horrible play was Howards fault also because I guess he didn't motivate them well enough before the game? Anything short of a 36 save shutout tonight was unacceptable, for shame Jimmy.  :dozing:

#238 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I just can't believe Babcock is playing Howard again next game. Jimmy is so-so to start the season (due in part to the team around him), then finally gets a breather and comes back strong only to start to fizzle again. He'll have played the last 4, which while not a stretch, it does seem like the guy can't get a rest. He plays better when he is rested and hungry.

At this rate Jimmy will see 44 of 48 games and if his slumps don't bury us, he'll be completely taxed by playoffs. I get that Mrazek is young and yet unproven, but give the kid some more starts and keep Jimmy rested. I would prefer to see  Jimmy playing 3/4 of the games unless the back-up is sinking us.

He did his job: he gave the team plenty of a chance to win the game. They responded by hanging him out to dry. Howard cannot win games on his own. That he does not steal games on a nightly basis is not indicative of a "slump," as you put it.

Edited by Crymson, 15 February 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#239 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I really question your intentions to take a stab like this after a loss like we took tonight Axe, seriously.

#240 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I really question your intentions to take a stab like this after a loss like we took tonight Axe, seriously.

We need a change of scenery at Goalie. Im sorry, but we need an elite goalie to bail out our less than elite team. Howard isnt it. Thats plain and simple.