• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#261 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I just dont see how he can be in the middle of the pack and not be called average.

#262 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I just dont see how he can be in the middle of the pack and not be called average.

Agreed. He should be having shutouts with the stacked defense we have.

bringit.jpg

#263 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Agreed. He should be having shutouts with the stacked defense we have.

Nonsense. If he were elite, he wouldn't need a defense at all!

:D

Edited by Crymson, 16 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#264 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Howard has always been an average goalie. Doesn't mean he's horrible, just not elite, we never needed a goalie to be elite(2008 playoffs Osgood was damn near elite though) before cuz of the stacked Wings teams we've seen. Now with a hurt D and a sputtering offense its obvious. Personally Howard can walk after this season and I wouldn't care especially if this Mrazek kid plays well again. I say its time for the kids, let all the old guys go, I'd rather see the Grand Rapids Red Wings than the Berts and Clearys on this team.

#265 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Howard has always been an average goalie. Doesn't mean he's horrible, just not elite, we never needed a goalie to be elite(2008 playoffs Osgood was damn near elite though) before cuz of the stacked Wings teams we've seen. Now with a hurt D and a sputtering offense its obvious. Personally Howard can walk after this season and I wouldn't care especially if this Mrazek kid plays well again. I say its time for the kids, let all the old guys go, I'd rather see the Grand Rapids Red Wings than the Berts and Clearys on this team.

Exactly how i feel.

#266 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

For the same reason why you can't look at Quick and Lundquist's numbers this season and call them both average/below average because they are in "the middle of the pack" also. Lundy is right there with Howard statistically, he isn't average, Quick's numbers are worse than Howard and he's not average. Statistics aren't accurate this early in the season, plain and simple. This is the point i've been trying to stress here. You base a Goalie's skill on play, performance, and how well they can keep you in a game, not early season statistics. You are judging purely on stats and the stats for the most part this year lie. Howard gave up 4 last night with 36 shots against, on paper that's an average performance. Watching the actual game and seeing how many were not his fault and lapses of defense tells the story differently, just about any NHL goalie would have allowed 3-5 goals last night regardless of who it was. If the title of this thread was "Our Defense = Average" you wouldn't read a single word of debate coming from me.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#267 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Half of the team is injured

#268 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

We by far the worst Defense the wings have ever had and your blaming Howard it wouldn't matter who was in net they wouldn't stand a chance. We have no one that I would call a top four Defenseman
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#269 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

We by far the worst Defense the wings have ever had and your blaming Howard it wouldn't matter who was in net they wouldn't stand a chance. We have no one that I would call a top four Defenseman

I am not blaming Howard for anything. Im saying he's average.

#270 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

May as well lock this ridiculous crap. It's not about opinion or unbiased debate anymore, it's officially turned into a contest.

#271 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

May as well lock this ridiculous crap. It's not about opinion or unbiased debate anymore, it's officially turned into a contest.

I just like how Howard has the lowest stats of any team currently in a playoff seed, but others say blah blah blah. He's a good goalie. Not a great one.

#272 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I can't believe this thread isn't locked yet.

#273 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I can't believe this thread isn't locked yet.

Why? Its a very relevant point. Why dont you prove it wrong instead of griping?

#274 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I just like how Howard has the lowest stats of any team currently in a playoff seed, but others say blah blah blah. He's a good goalie. Not a great one.

Doesn't mean s*** 14 games into the season

bringit.jpg

#275 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Doesn't mean s*** 14 games into the season

In 10 games, we are halfway. Howard will be under 500 by then.

#276 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

People who say Howard is not an elite goaltender must have never played a single shift of hockey in their lives. The way he cuts down the angles on breakaways and shootouts. The way he has progressed tremendously from two years ago. The way he slides from side to side on 2-on-1s. With our suspect defense and power play, Howard keeps us in the game every game.

While I think Howard is so far above average, the logic above is faulty. One need not play hockey to understand it. Many sports broadcasters and writers haven't played, yet they are paid for their knowledge and commentary. Many astronomers have never been to outerspace. The possible examples are endless.

#277 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

I am not blaming Howard for anything. Im saying he's average.

You've said he's average. You've said he's good but not elite. Which one is it? Stick to a story.

#278 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

In 10 games, we are halfway. Howard will be under 500 by then.

And guess what, when the season is over he'll have played less than 40 games, which is half a full season. Are we supposed to conclude that he's average because he played like an average goalie with Kronwall and a bunch of AHL-calibre defensemen and on top of that, in an unfriendly lockout-shortened season?

Edited by irishock, 17 February 2013 - 12:57 AM.

bringit.jpg

#279 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

EVERYONE here who IS a Red Wings fan who has seen Jimmy Howard play at an "elite" level knows this thread = retarded

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#280 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

EVERYONE here who IS a Red Wings fan who has seen Jimmy Howard play at an "elite" level knows this thread = retarded

I saw that ONE game this year.