LOL. Sorry man.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#322 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

This thread is just wrong, plain wrong.  Howard, while not being necessarily elite, is a very solid goaltender.  I just think the Wings need to find a competent backup to spell him more often and give him rest.  I firmly believe the gets worn out playing as much as he does.  People seem to forget that he was putting up Vezina type numbers before getting the injury bug last season.

Being a Detroit 'tender is one of the most thankless jobs in all of Detroit sports and it's really obnoxious.  It couldn't possibly be the defense a lot of nights.

Very good point.  We were playing great up until the point he and Dats got injured.  When they came back, they weren't the same players, and we weren't the same team.

I also remember being 0-3 down to the Sharks in the playoffs, and being lucky to have nil, and Jimmy (and Pav) were the only players showing up.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#323 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

First of all, I am not Axe.... Yes, both Chevy and Legace got shellacked, but still put up similar numbers as Howard, yet when it came down to it, neither were considered elite goaltenders, just average or above average, which puts Howard right in line with them, until he seperates himself from them...

I hope you are right about them playing M-Raz in three years if he is outplaying Jimmy, BUT my point is/was, if Howard is making $5M+ at the same time M-Raz is outplaying him, Howard will not sit on the bench making all that money.  Same reason the Wings chose Legace over Osgood in '01 when Hasek was traded for.  Osgood was making about $3.5M I believe and the reason he was waived is because, right from Holland's mouth, we cannot have a $3.5M goalie sitting on the bench.  That is why I am afraid that even though M-Raz will be outplaying Howard (trust me, he will) Howard will still be starting because of his salary and M-Raz will just leave when he can to become a starter somewhere else...and that will be a HUGE mistake to keep Howard over M-Raz...

Trust you? Kind of hard to trust a guy who has some blinded man love for a guy with 2 career starts.

Edited by puckbags, 19 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#324 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Very good point.  We were playing great up until the point he and Dats got injured.  When they came back, they weren't the same players, and we weren't the same team.

I also remember being 0-3 down to the Sharks in the playoffs, and being lucky to have nil, and Jimmy (and Pav) were the only players showing up.

Jimmy has done more than enough in the good times and the bad times for this team for me to 1. Have trust in him as a fan and 2. Believe that he is an upper echelon goalie in this league.  He deserves a raise at the end of the year and he will get one. Hopefully it's with us..if not he will be a starting goalie somewhere else.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#325 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Jimmy has done more than enough in the good times and the bad times for this team for me to 1. Have trust in him as a fan and 2. Believe that he is an upper echelon goalie in this league.  He deserves a raise at the end of the year and he will get one. Hopefully it's with us..if not he will be a starting goalie somewhere else.

I hope he goes elsewhere if he gets more money. If we are going to pay 5 mil for a goalie, we are not going to be able to afford an upgrade at #1 D and #1 Sniper. We need those desperately.

#326 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I hope he goes elsewhere if he gets more money. If we are going to pay 5 mil for a goalie, we are not going to be able to afford an upgrade at #1 D and #1 Sniper. We need those desperately.

It depends how much Howard wants.   With the way he's been playing as of late I'd let him walk unless he wanted less than $3 million per year.

#327 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

It depends how much Howard wants.   With the way he's been playing as of late I'd let him walk unless he wanted less than $3 million per year.

That sounds about right.

#328 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I don't see Howard taking more than 3.5-4 million on a longer-term contract (4-6 years)

#329 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

While I hope he doesn't top $5M per...I definitely don't see him at less than $3M. That is just poop talk.  If he gets $3.5M - $4M that would be great, because if Holland does the right thing and buys out Bert and Sammy, trades Q there is plenty of cap room to re-sign Brunner, Smith, Lashoff, Filppula and Andersson along with courting a Sniper for $7M+ and another D-Man (Douglas Murray) for $4M+...

Even if Howard got $4.5M that would all still work.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#330 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

And you replace him with who?

Posted Image

#331 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

And you replace him with who?

Well you'd obviously pull Legace out of whatever deep, dark hole he's in and plop him back in goal.  Duh!  :yahoo:

#332 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Well you'd obviously pull Legace out of whatever deep, dark hole he's in and plop him back in goal.  Duh!  :yahoo:

Naw, get Norm Maracle back in net :)

#333 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Naw, get Norm Maracle back in net :)

NORM!!!  YES!  tumblr_m5thv0ADsn1rvmgpoo1_400.jpg

#334 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

While I hope he doesn't top $5M per...I definitely don't see him at less than $3M. That is just poop talk.  If he gets $3.5M - $4M that would be great, because if Holland does the right thing and buys out Bert and Sammy, trades Q there is plenty of cap room to re-sign Brunner, Smith, Lashoff, Filppula and Andersson along with courting a Sniper for $7M+ and another D-Man (Douglas Murray) for $4M+...

Even if Howard got $4.5M that would all still work.

Ever seen Mission Impossible?

#335 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

NORM!!!  YES!  tumblr_m5thv0ADsn1rvmgpoo1_400.jpg

:lol: Is that the Big Boss Man in goalie gear?  What's Time Cheveldae up to these days.  Or Bob Essensa?  wonder if Hasek still wants one more crack at the NHL.

Wait a second....wasn't Ken Holland a goalie?  I'm sure Kenny could sign this Ken Holland guy pretty cheap.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#336 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

:lol: Is that the Big Boss Man in goalie gear?  What's Time Cheveldae up to these days.  Or Bob Essensa?  wonder if Hasek still wants one more crack at the NHL.

Wait a second....wasn't Ken Holland a goalie?  I'm sure Kenny could sign this Ken Holland guy pretty cheap.

Hell, I will play cheap!  I helped my team win the championship in the Summer last year in our intermediate league.  So far this season we have only lost 2 games.  :D

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#337 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hell, I will play cheap!  I helped my team win the championship in the Summer last year in our intermediate league.  So far this season we have only lost 2 games.  :D

You're "Elite"!!!

#338 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

You're "Elite"!!!

I'm a pretty good 2-way centre that can bulge the twine like nobody's business. I could help keep the puck out of the net. I'm leaving to go play hockey in exactly 22 minutes as well, so i'll be warmed up.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#339 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Goalie coach for the Muskegon Lumberjacks in the USHL.

I'm a pretty good 2-way centre that can bulge the twine like nobody's business. I could help keep the puck out of the net. I'm leaving to go play hockey in exactly 22 minutes as well, so i'll be warmed up.

Cool. I knock the D over for you. But you better score early, only good for 1 or 2 shifts now......lol

#340 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Goalie coach for the Muskegon Lumberjacks in the USHL.

Cool. I knock the D over for you. But you better score early, only good for 1 or 2 shifts now......lol

Only had 1 fwd and 1 D spare today...played 50+ out of 60 mins and had 4 goals and 2 assists in an 8-4 win.  I wouldn't let ya down big guy.

Howard gets the nod tonight and hopefully he doesn't have any issues with the eyes today.  If we want to go anywhere this year we need Howie to play his biggest games against the not so good teams that the boys generally play levels down to.