• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

This is nowhere near an open debate or discussion of facts. I presented stats, salaries and asked related questions. Axe ignores them and simply parrot the same lines over and over again.

Don't feed the hate!

{click}

Your stats are meaningless. Lidstrom made all our goaltenders better. And a good defense (new jersey) does the same for other goalies. Osgood still won when he was playing for lesser teams. Howard is under 500 this year and in the bottom half of goalies in all stats playing behind an average team. How does that make him any better than average? No parroting here. I dont drink the koolaid is all. Im the guy who recognized Holmstrom lost his usefulness in 2010 while everyone else still believed he was a legit top 6er. Im the guy who doesnt throw in the towel on 25 year old defensemen that are developing while the rest of you are calling for their heads. And Im the guy who blames management first for signing players who are incapable of filling the roles we need them to fill to be a top 5 team while the rest of the crowd is saying this guy is lazy and he sucks. In short, I like our good, young, developing players until they give me a reason to think otherwise. Howard has given me that reason. He's average. We need puck stopper and guy who steals games consistently. Howard does it rarely despite having a lot of opportunities to do it.

So our 3 best scorers-2 of which are future HOFers can't score a goal in the shootout, and Howard is to blame? Is that correct? In 2 of the last 3 seasons, Howard was top 5 in GAA while playing 60ish games each year. How is that not great? Oh ya, it was all Lidstrom.

as of today, Howard is 5th in SA. While having a GAA of 2.83. That is pretty damn good.

Edited by Richdg

Guest The Axe

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLGAGAll&sort=goalsAgainstAverage&viewName=goalsAgainstAverage

Every goalie will tell you that they are better when they see a lot of shots, so the Shots Against and Total Number of Saves stats are NOT a good indicator of who's doing well as a goaltender. Save percentage and Goals Against are better indicators of the goalie's abilities. I am NOT saying that Howard should have better stats than Crawford or that he's a worse goaltender than Crawford. Please understand that I do realize that the team in front of the goaltender makes a difference in the goaltender's performance. I'm only saying that Howard's GAA and Save % are in the middle of the pack for all NHL goalies = AVERAGE. If you want to defend Howard to your grave, do it. Just realize that the "Holmstrom Rules!!!" mentality is the same mentality that keeps our good, young players "OVER-RIPENING" in the minors while our old, average has beens get hurt and the team exits the playoffs in the first round.

All about sample size. Howard's sample size of the past few seasons say that he is above average. If his stats stay down for the rest of this year, and some of next then you can start making conclusions.

You don't judge a goalie on 19 games, if you did then I can come up with 19 game segments of hall of fame goaltenders that would prove they are "average".

Fact is goalies rely on players in front of them to limit the other team's high percentage chances, something the Wings were considerably bad at during the beginning of the season. And believe it or not, all goalies tend to struggle when the team in front of them turns the puck over and can't score more than a goal a game.

In 11/12 Howard was 6th in GAA at 21.3, for G's that played over 30 games. in 10/11 he was 31st with a GAA of 2.79. In 09/10 he was 5th with a GAA of 2.26. The number of G's that were better than Howard in all 3 years for GAA? 0 none nada. not one G in the NHL, that has played at least 30 games in each of the past 3 years has been better than Jimmy for all 3 years. Yes some guys have had a better year, and maybe even in 2 years. But no one has been better than Jimmy in all 3 years.

Guest The Axe

All about sample size. Howard's sample size of the past few seasons say that he is above average. If his stats stay down for the rest of this year, and some of next then you can start making conclusions.

You don't judge a goalie on 19 games, if you did then I can come up with 19 game segments of hall of fame goaltenders that would prove they are "average".

Fact is goalies rely on players in front of them to limit the other team's high percentage chances, something the Wings were considerably bad at during the beginning of the season. And believe it or not, all goalies tend to struggle when the team in front of them turns the puck over and can't score more than a goal a game.

This is a good point. It is only my opinion at this point. His career stats do look very nice. Im not going to take credit away from him completely and give it to the current defense or team. They go hand in hand. The defense is only good if Howard's good and vice versa. We will see a year from now if my opinion is accurate.

By the way just for reference, Patrick Roy's age 27 season he had a .894 SV%, and 3.20 GAA in 62 games just wanted to clarify that.

Carry on.

And at 28 his numbers were .918 SV% 2.50 GAA and at 26 they were .914 SV% 2.36 GAA but nice cherry picking his worst statistical season of his career by miles Those numbers aren't that bad in comparison to the league and era. In fact they are borderline elite. http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/1992-93-nhl-goalies-stats.html 8th in SV% (6th in starters) 10th in GAA (also 6th in starters) obliterates Howard's current standing (something like 25th in the league before tonight). Oh and he stepped it up at age 27 with 2.13 GAA and a .929 SV% in the playoff WINNING the Conn Smythe. Good job showing your knowledge in history of this game.

Don't try to argue with logic and reason. Clearly Mrazek and Monster are much better goalies then Roy

What does this even mean? Where did I imply that? lol

Edited by Number19

This is a good point. It is only my opinion at this point. His career stats do look very nice. Im not going to take credit away from him completely and give it to the current defense or team. They go hand in hand. The defense is only good if Howard's good and vice versa. We will see a year from now if my opinion is accurate.

I cannot believe we have 21 pages of this.

Edited by 13dangledangle

And at 28 his numbers were .918 2.50 and at 26 they were .914 2.36 but nice cherry picking his worst statistical season of his career by miles (and ironically those numbers aren't that bad in comparison to the league and era). Oh and btw he stepped it up at age 27 with 2.13 GAA and a .929 SV% in the playoffs. A .894 is way above .900 in today's league.

In other words, Roy's number are very similier to Howards at the same ages..... 2.13 in 09/10, 2.79 in 10/11, and 2.26 in 11/12. The years Howard was 25, 26, and 27.

In other words, Roy's number are very similier to Howards at the same ages..... 2.13 in 09/10, 2.79 in 10/11, and 2.26 in 11/12. The years Howard was 25, 26, and 27.

No, they aren't. Scoring was higher back then, the game was different, goalies weren't wearing mattresses as pads, talent wasn't watered down by 3 more expansion teams. Lots of variables. Ever wonder why Roy's GAA and SV (and every other elite goalie of the 80s early 90s) were astronomically higher than when he was in his prime? Are you going to tell me Howard is on the same wave-length of Roy? Let alone a PRIME Roy?

Edited by Number19

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

LGW, where red wings fans compare jimmy howard to patrick f***ing roy.

i'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

Before this thread becomes a crash course in advanced statistics and comparisons between eras and gets too off track let me make it clear I'm not asking Howard to be Roy. He never will be and doesn't have to be in order for this team to win. I'm just asking maybe Grant Fuhr-lite or even Osgood meaning, make the save when it counts (last 3 min of the 3rd).

Edited by Number19

And at 28 his numbers were .918 SV% 2.50 GAA and at 26 they were .914 SV% 2.36 GAA but nice cherry picking his worst statistical season of his career by miles Those numbers aren't that bad in comparison to the league and era. In fact they are borderline elite. http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/1992-93-nhl-goalies-stats.html 8th in SV% (6th in starters) 10th in GAA (also 6th in starters) obliterates Howard's current standing (something like 25th in the league before tonight). Oh and he stepped it up at age 27 with 2.13 GAA and a .929 SV% in the playoff WINNING the Conn Smythe. Good job showing your knowledge in history of this game.

My point was that all goalies go through rough strecthes, even hall of famers. That's it.

Edited by Carman

My point was that all goalies go through rough strecthes, even hall of famers. That's it.

Fair enough, throughout this thread my only point is Howard isn't a cup winning goaltender (yet) so he shouldn't get a free pass on bad nights just because he's "our guy". I hope he proves me wrong too. I'd rather argue with Hawks fans than fellow Wing fans. :)

He's doing a pretty good job lately too. I don't blame that late goal in the Chicago loss on him in the slightest. Stupid penalty, bad clearing attempt.

Edited by Number19

Guest The Axe

I cannot believe we have 21 pages of this.

It is clearly my best thread.

Your stats are meaningless. Lidstrom made all our goaltenders better. And a good defense (new jersey) does the same for other goalies. Osgood still won when he was playing for lesser teams. Howard is under 500 this year and in the bottom half of goalies in all stats playing behind an average team. How does that make him any better than average? No parroting here. I dont drink the koolaid is all. Im the guy who recognized Holmstrom lost his usefulness in 2010 while everyone else still believed he was a legit top 6er. Im the guy who doesnt throw in the towel on 25 year old defensemen that are developing while the rest of you are calling for their heads. And Im the guy who blames management first for signing players who are incapable of filling the roles we need them to fill to be a top 5 team while the rest of the crowd is saying this guy is lazy and he sucks. In short, I like our good, young, developing players until they give me a reason to think otherwise. Howard has given me that reason. He's average. We need puck stopper and guy who steals games consistently. Howard does it rarely despite having a lot of opportunities to do it.

Now you are LITERALLY making up your own stats... howard hasn't been under .500 for most of the year. before the Colorado game he was 8-7-3, which is 19 points out of a possible 36 = above .500, now he is 9-7-3

What does this even mean? Where did I imply that?

At age 28? Yes I do. It seems to be no problem for Monster and Mrazek. But I don't have any interest in having this debate when Jimmie has been turning around his game. I still don't think he's the goalie to lead us to a cup. :glare:

Mrazek played two games, 1 solid game, one not so good game, and monster has started one game, you really were reaching on that one

I cant resist.... Another average game from Howard again lol

that's a stretch, I would say below average, did you see all those horrible saves he made robbing everyone all night? trade him now please, what a terrible goalie...

:sigh:

Guest The Axe

9 wins in 19 decisions. Thats under 500. Overtime Losses count as losses. There are no ties anymore.