• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Now you are LITERALLY making up your own stats... howard hasn't been under .500 for most of the year. before the Colorado game he was 8-7-3, which is 19 points out of a possible 36 = above .500, now he is 9-7-3

I advise you to stop letting this guy bait you.

It's time to let this thread die, it can go back and forth for the remainder of Howard's career as a Red Wing. Has a bad game and the Howard haters come here and post the "told you so" replies. Howard has a good game, the positive comments roll in and Axe strains his brain to try and make bad out of a win by posting stats he obviously doesn't understand. First it was his SV% and now that statistic is improving it's time to stab at win totals. He goes on a winning streak it will probably be his lack of total shutouts or comparing him statistically to Chicago goalies this season in a negative way. It's gone far beyond "Howard = average" because it's blatantly obvious what the real feelings are here about him from the OP.

Not having the capacity to understand 9-7-3 is above .500 speaks volumes about the future arguments we can look forward to here. Do the right thing, keep your car windows rolled up and stop feeding the bears.

Guest The Axe

It's time to let this thread die, it can go back and forth for the remainder of Howard's career as a Red Wing. Has a bad game and the Howard haters come here and post the "told you so" replies. Howard has a good game, the positive comments roll in and Axe strains his brain to try and make bad out of a win by posting stats he obviously doesn't understand. First it was his SV% and now that statistic is improving it's time to stab at win totals. He goes on a winning streak it will probably be his lack of total shutouts or comparing him statistically to Chicago goalies this season in a negative way. It's gone far beyond "Howard = average" because it's blatantly obvious what the real feelings are here about him from the OP.

Not having the capacity to understand 9-7-3 is above .500 speaks volumes about the future arguments we can look forward to here. Do the right thing, keep your car windows rolled up and stop feeding the bears.

I hope he proves me wrong. I want him to be in the top 10.

No, they aren't. Scoring was higher back then, the game was different, goalies weren't wearing mattresses as pads, talent wasn't watered down by 3 more expansion teams. Lots of variables. Ever wonder why Roy's GAA and SV (and every other elite goalie of the 80s early 90s) were astronomically higher than when he was in his prime? Are you going to tell me Howard is on the same wave-length of Roy? Let alone a PRIME Roy?

Clearly you don't know what the word "similier" means. Also Roy was known for wering oversized pads-same as JS, and the reduction in the size happened after him. Now if you want to talk about great goalies in a high scoring era, that would be Fuhr. he was awesome and I don't know if he ever had a GAA under 3 back in the 80's. back when guys would average 2 points per game. More scoring and more fights=better hockey!

Clearly you don't know what the word "similier" means. Also Roy was known for wering oversized pads-same as JS, and the reduction in the size happened after him. Now if you want to talk about great goalies in a high scoring era, that would be Fuhr. he was awesome and I don't know if he ever had a GAA under 3 back in the 80's. back when guys would average 2 points per game. More scoring and more fights=better hockey!

I googled similier and it's actually not a word.

The only goalie in the past 20 years that hasn't used stupid huge pads is Brodeur. He is the best goalie ever to play the game and he doesn't cheat and he doesn't get rattled. Howard has been a ******* superstar the past 5 games that's for sure. Problem is that aside from the game in Vancouver, we can't seem to get the bounces to top 2 friggen goals.

Guest The Axe

Howard has been good as of late. He should have stolen the LA and Chicago games, but refereeing and mental mistakes by our D, respectively, cost us those 2.

Howard has been great the last 3 or 4 starts...I am still not happy with his rebound control and warned of it biting him in the a$$ eventually and it did last night, it cost him the shutout...he still got the win and that is probably more important to him anyhow, but he needs to get that rebounding under control because I would hate for it to cost us a Cup one day...

Good on Jimmy though! He was told he needs to be better and he has been...the two saves last night that he made one on one were just ridiculous. To use a Mickey-ism, he "Stood on his chin" with those two saves for sure! The one (not the breakaway) has to be in the NHL plays of the week by far! If it isn't then sometime is rotten in Coopersville...an it ain't the cow manure...

Guest The Axe

It's clearly the best thread, kudos. I'll be back soon ;)

Thanks. I think it makes for good discussion. Looking forward to seeing you back at it!

Guest Crymson

I googled similier and it's actually not a word.

The only goalie in the past 20 years that hasn't used stupid huge pads is Brodeur. He is the best goalie ever to play the game and he doesn't cheat and he doesn't get rattled. Howard has been af****** superstar the past 5 games that's for sure. Problem is that aside from the game in Vancouver, we can't seem to get the bounces to top 2 friggen goals.

20 years is pushing it. Do you perhaps mean that he's the only great goalie of the past 20 years to not do so? If so, you forgot Hasek.

Howard has been great the last 3 or 4 starts...I am still not happy with his rebound control and warned of it biting him in the a$$ eventually and it did last night, it cost him the shutout..

No, Datsyuk failing to cover Stastny cost Howard the shootout. Howard had not the faintest chance of controlling the rebound on that shot.

those are average stats though

Among goalies who have played at least 15 games this season, the average save percentage is .911% So on the season, sure, Jimmy's save percentage has been around average.

However, a save % of .955 (7 goals on 175 shots, 29 Shot/gm avg.) in the last 6 games is most certainly not average. Unless I've missed something, only Crawford, at .962%, has a better save percentage than Howard in the past 6 games.

Yes, yes. We all get it at this point. Howard has played amazing the last stretch, and has been the reason the Wings have won or gotten a point in many of the recent contests. Every goaltender has hot and cold streaks. The thread was started during a cold streak and has been 'bumped' and beaten to death during the hot streak.

Jimmy Howard is a great goaltender when he is hot and an average goaltender when he is cold. Jimmy Howard is a GOOD goaltender. Not the greatest, not the worst. Moving on...

Howard has been great the last 3 or 4 starts...I am still not happy with his rebound control and warned of it biting him in the a$$ eventually and it did last night, it cost him the shutout...he still got the win and that is probably more important to him anyhow, but he needs to get that rebounding under control because I would hate for it to cost us a Cup one day...

Good on Jimmy though! He was told he needs to be better and he has been...the two saves last night that he made one on one were just ridiculous. To use a Mickey-ism, he "Stood on his chin" with those two saves for sure! The one (not the breakaway) has to be in the NHL plays of the week by far! If it isn't then sometime is rotten in Coopersville...an it ain't the cow manure...

His rebound control is definitely not the strong part of his game but our D has done a great job of clearing rebounds and boxing guys out ( like basketball) from getting to those rebounds.

Here I am at the Avs game on tuesday watching our beloved defense almost giving up a tying goal with seconds remaining in the game. All of a sudden, Jimmy Howard reaches his blocker out to make the game ending save. Not to mention facing 39 SHOTS! He is the reason why we are still alive for a playoff berth.

Who carried a Z-less, homer-less, and even pasha-less team from 9th and floundering at the olympic break into 5th and playoffs in 2010?

Who played his ass off in games 4-6 to force a 7th vs San Blows Eh in 2011?

Who was playing at a vezina pace until he suffered 2 injuries last year?

I rest my case. There are many, MANY worse goalies out there than Howard. Remember how we beat up on Ozzie?

Who carried a Z-less, homer-less, and even pasha-less team from 9th and floundering at the olympic break into 5th and playoffs in 2010?

Who played his ass off in games 4-6 to force a 7th vs San Blows Eh in 2011?

Who was playing at a vezina pace until he suffered 2 injuries last year?

I rest my case. There are many, MANY worse goalies out there than Howard. Remember how we beat up on Ozzie?

was the answer dipietro? :P

Howie has a 1.4 GAA, a 94% save percentage, and 2 shutouts over the last 7 games. I think that's a little more than average. The beginning of the year is most likely due to him being rusty after not playing during the lockout