• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#361 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Looked bad today. Babcock's decisions have been baffling this season. From the line combos to the goalies. Starting Howard the game after he leaves with blurry vision? Give him a rest.. Monster looked good when he came in. 

Right now Gustavsson needs to start atleast 2-3 games in a row imo. Regardless of what happens. Give Howard a real chance to re-focus and find his game again. 

#362 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

let me know when howard's sv% gets above .900

i'll be waiting.

To be fair its barely below that...

#363 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

And you replace him with who?

Not sure but with his down year you have to wonder how much he is worth in the long-run since it is obvious we won't be getting that #1 D-Man for a while.

#364 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

If you actually think this was Howard's fault I've just gotta laugh at ya. LOL@the emotional responses. And how predictable, too. Same little group of people every time.

When did I say it was his fault? He's partly to blame but definitely not all. It's more what I've been seeing the past 5 years. He's a serviceable goalie, a number 1 on no where bound teams and a premier backup on contenders. He isn't a playoff winning goalie, at least not yet. He has stretches of good play and flashes of greatness followed by 2 softies. A lot like Osgood before the first trade. Problem is we don't have 6 hall of famers on defense anymore. His stats are pretty bad though and that isn't being subjective. I might've over done it with the 80s comment but even in the 90s that's knocking on bottom tier and in today's league it's garbage.

To be fair its barely below that...

Getting closer to .88 after tonight.

Edited by Number19, 21 February 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#365 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 787 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Question: If Howard is "average", thus not terribly bad but not terribly good either, and you want to move on from him, is option B to scrap him from the lineup and rotate Mrazek and McCollum for the rest of the year? Wouldn't you agree he is still the best goalie on the team with the most experience? So, yes he is average, but we should move on to below average? I guess I just don't get it, barring a trade, which probably won't happen, you're rolling the dice on the rest of the season. If you want to chalk up the season and just give everyone a shot, then yes that makes sense. I don't think the Wings are going to win the Cup this year but if they are going to at least make the playoffs, the starting goaltender is Jimmy Howard.

Edited by Ram, 22 February 2013 - 01:01 AM.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#366 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

Question: If Howard is "average", thus not terribly bad but not terribly good either, and you want to move on from him, is option B to scrap him from the lineup and rotate Mrazek and McCollum for the rest of the year? Wouldn't you agree he is still the best goalie on the team with the most experience? So, yes he is average, but we should move on to below average? I guess I just don't get it, barring a trade, which probably won't happen, you're rolling the dice on the rest of the season. If you want to chalk up the season and just give everyone a shot, then yes that makes sense. I don't think the Wings are going to win the Cup this year but if they are going to at least make the playoffs, the starting goaltender is Jimmy Howard.

Go with Mrazmataz and see what happens.

#367 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

That goal with 25 seconds left was awful. He cold have gotten over but fell on his ass instead. I'm starting to wonder if the off time didn't throw off his groove this year. Jimmy is a decent goalie but not having a number 1 defenseman this year has exposed him a lot. Either we get a Number 1 defenseman or a new goaltender.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#368 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

That goal with 25 seconds left was awful. He cold have gotten over but fell on his ass instead. I'm starting to wonder if the off time didn't throw off his groove this year. Jimmy is a decent goalie but not having a number 1 defenseman this year has exposed him a lot. Either we get a Number 1 defenseman or a new goaltender.

I feel the same way.

#369 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Ya it was a bad goal, and Jimmy did have a bit of an off night, but how many turnovers did we give up in front of our net that he bailed us out on? Don't just look at the goals guys, look at the saves, our defense couldn't stop a basketball if they wanted to, they turn pucks over more times a game then the leafs organization has made bad decisions in the last 10 years. I just hate how everyone always turns to blaming the goalie when we lose

#370 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

This is where I see Howard's style or lack thereof, or combinations of styles, however you want to word it hurts him the most.

He is a scrappy, hardworking goalie, that fights to make saves. 

That style put him in the out of position.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#371 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Go back and watch the game vs the LAK and say that. he is the only reason we won that game and didn't lose 8-0.

Yea I know he played great that game. Look at my post just a few posts before. 

Yea, Howards not the guy. I'm sure the next time he stand on his head in 10 games or so everyone will love posting in this thread singing his praise but he is so average it hurts.

He plays great once in a blue moon but just doesn't have the consistency to take this team far at the moment.

#372 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ya it was a bad goal, and Jimmy did have a bit of an off night, but how many turnovers did we give up in front of our net that he bailed us out on? Don't just look at the goals guys, look at the saves, our defense couldn't stop a basketball if they wanted to, they turn pucks over more times a game then the leafs organization has made bad decisions in the last 10 years. I just hate how everyone always turns to blaming the goalie when we lose

I'm telling you that I firmly believe that you win and lose as a team.  But this is not the first, second, or even third game where Jimmy has let in questionable goals and we end up losing by 1 goal.  It's more like 4, 5, or 6.  You can't figure that we're going to take home the 2 points in all of those games if a save is made here or there instead of a goal.  But you can figure we are going to at least take home an average of 1.  If we multiply this out by the 48 game schedule, we'll be left looking at a 10-15 points in the standings difference if that extra save is made for the 10-15 games we lose by a goal.  That's the difference between playoffs and not playoffs.  So in summary, does the team need to play better?  Absolutely.  The whole team has stunk this year, outside of Datsyuk and a few others.  Does Howard need to play better?  100% yes.  You can't be an average goalie if your team is just average.  You have to be a great goalie to win games with an average team in front of you.  That being said, understand that I'm not BLAMING Howard.  I know what he is.  I don't expect more than a workhorse who does his best and doesn't create on-ice or off-ice problems.  I like Jimmy a lot for those qualities he brings to the table.  However, I think those qualities come second to the talent level he brings.  The talent level he brings should put him at our #2 keeper.

#373 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thought it was time to drag this little nugget out. Average? ya...... Jimmy is the only reason we are in the game today, with a chance to win. 0-0 after 40 mins. can we buy a goal? Howard is doing his job like the top 5 goalie that he is!

#374 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thought it was time to drag this little nugget out. Average? ya...... Jimmy is the only reason we are in the game today, with a chance to win. 0-0 after 40 mins. can we buy a goal? Howard is doing his job like the top 5 goalie that he is!

No remember. Howard bad. Franzen good. Dats will play until he is 55. Welcome to the mind of 99% here.

#375 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

LOL, you honestly think you can change people's minds around here? that's funny, goalies in detroit will alwayys be scapegoats, now matter how good they are.COuld you imagine if the devils decided to trade brodeur after the 98/99 playoffs, he was 2.83 gaa and .856 sv% and I'm sure a lot of people were calling for his head then, but he won them a cup the next year, so... my point is every goalie has bad games, we all know Roy had his fair share, so did Hasek, and most certainly our beloved ozzie, but people don't listen to reason around here

#376 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, I'll never forget the flame wars on here in 07-08 between the Hasek and Ozzie fanboys - or more correctly the Hasek haters and the Ozzie haters.  Which was ironic, because they both played great that season and had near identical numbers.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#377 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Howard played great today I might be a hater but this game isn't on him in the slightest.

LOL, you honestly think you can change people's minds around here? that's funny, goalies in detroit will alwayys be scapegoats, now matter how good they are.COuld you imagine if the devils decided to trade brodeur after the 98/99 playoffs, he was 2.83 gaa and .856 sv% and I'm sure a lot of people were calling for his head then, but he won them a cup the next year, so... my point is every goalie has bad games, we all know Roy had his fair share, so did Hasek, and most certainly our beloved ozzie, but people don't listen to reason around here

Comparing Howard to Broduer, Roy, and Hasek doesn't make a great case for him. :ninja: And he sure as hell isn't a top 5 goalie.

#378 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Howard had a great game today. He's performed admirably in 3 straight games. I hope he keeps it up.

#379 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yeah he was way average today.

#380 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Howard played very well today...still has rebound issues though.  Drives me crazy!  Todays game was not his fault what-so-ever, despite him giving up juicy rebounds all night.  If it weren't for him, we had been blown out....yet, if it weren't for Mike Babcock, we had won.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!