• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#421 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

My point was that all goalies go through rough strecthes, even hall of famers. That's it.

Fair enough, throughout this thread my only point is Howard isn't a cup winning goaltender (yet) so he shouldn't get a free pass on bad nights just because he's "our guy". I hope he proves me wrong too. I'd rather argue with Hawks fans than fellow Wing fans. :)

He's doing a pretty good job lately too. I don't blame that late goal in the Chicago loss on him in the slightest. Stupid penalty, bad clearing attempt.

Edited by Number19, 05 March 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#422 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

I cannot believe we have 21 pages of this. 

It is clearly my best thread.

#423 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

I cant resist.... Another average game from Howard again lol

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#424 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Your stats are meaningless. Lidstrom made all our goaltenders better. And a good defense (new jersey) does the same for other goalies. Osgood still won when he was playing for lesser teams. Howard is under 500 this year and in the bottom half of goalies in all stats playing behind an average team. How does that make him any better than average? No parroting here. I dont drink the koolaid is all. Im the guy who recognized Holmstrom lost his usefulness in 2010 while everyone else still believed he was a legit top 6er. Im the guy who doesnt throw in the towel on 25 year old defensemen that are developing while the rest of you are calling for their heads. And Im the guy who blames management first for signing players who are incapable of filling the roles we need them to fill to be a top 5 team while the rest of the crowd is saying this guy is lazy and he sucks. In short, I like our good, young, developing players until they give me a reason to think otherwise. Howard has given me that reason. He's average. We need puck stopper and guy who steals games consistently. Howard does it rarely despite having a lot of opportunities to do it.

Now you are LITERALLY making up your own stats... howard hasn't been under .500 for most of the year. before the Colorado game he was 8-7-3, which is 19 points out of a possible 36 = above .500, now he is 9-7-3

And at 28 his numbers were .918 SV% 2.50 GAA and at 26 they were .914 SV% 2.36 GAA but nice cherry picking his worst statistical season of his career by miles Those numbers aren't that bad in comparison to the league and era. In fact they are borderline elite. http://www.quanthock...lies-stats.html 8th in SV% (6th in starters) 10th in GAA (also 6th in starters) obliterates Howard's current standing (something like 25th in the league before tonight). Oh and he stepped it up at age 27 with 2.13 GAA and a .929 SV% in the playoff WINNING the Conn Smythe. Good job showing your knowledge in history of this game.

What does this even mean? Where did I imply that? 

At age 28? Yes I do. It seems to be no problem for Monster and Mrazek. But I don't have any interest in having this debate when Jimmie has been turning around his game. I still don't think he's the goalie to lead us to a cup.  :glare:

Mrazek played two games, 1 solid game, one not so good game, and monster has started one game, you really were reaching on that one

that's a stretch, I would say below average, did you see all those horrible saves he made robbing everyone all night? trade him now please, what a terrible goalie...

:sigh:

#425 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hes worried about the monster taking his job, and new contract.

#426 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

9 wins in 19 decisions. Thats under 500. Overtime Losses count as losses. There are no ties anymore.

#427 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

9 wins in 19 decisions. Thats under 500. Overtime Losses count as losses. There are no ties anymore.

points count as points, 21 points out of a possible 38, is above .500

#428 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

How many games does a team win scoring only 1 goal? That is our problem. not our tender or D.

Then Howard should score if he's so elite. Brodeur did.

#429 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

Now you are LITERALLY making up your own stats... howard hasn't been under .500 for most of the year. before the Colorado game he was 8-7-3, which is 19 points out of a possible 36 = above .500, now he is 9-7-3

I advise you to stop letting this guy bait you.

#430 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

It's time to let this thread die, it can go back and forth for the remainder of Howard's career as a Red Wing. Has a bad game and the Howard haters come here and post the "told you so" replies. Howard has a good game, the positive comments roll in and Axe strains his brain to try and make bad out of a win by posting stats he obviously doesn't understand. First it was his SV% and now that statistic is improving it's time to stab at win totals. He goes on a winning streak it will probably be his lack of total shutouts or comparing him statistically to Chicago goalies this season in a negative way. It's gone far beyond "Howard = average" because it's blatantly obvious what the real feelings are here about him from the OP.

Not having the capacity to understand 9-7-3 is above .500 speaks volumes about the future arguments we can look forward to here. Do the right thing, keep your car windows rolled up and stop feeding the bears. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#431 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

Trolls, it's stop feeding the trolls. :lol:

#432 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I'm uhh...just gonna put this here

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#433 NyquistianDeke

NyquistianDeke

Rookie

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm uhh...just gonna put this here

Average

#434 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's time to let this thread die, it can go back and forth for the remainder of Howard's career as a Red Wing. Has a bad game and the Howard haters come here and post the "told you so" replies. Howard has a good game, the positive comments roll in and Axe strains his brain to try and make bad out of a win by posting stats he obviously doesn't understand. First it was his SV% and now that statistic is improving it's time to stab at win totals. He goes on a winning streak it will probably be his lack of total shutouts or comparing him statistically to Chicago goalies this season in a negative way. It's gone far beyond "Howard = average" because it's blatantly obvious what the real feelings are here about him from the OP.

Not having the capacity to understand 9-7-3 is above .500 speaks volumes about the future arguments we can look forward to here. Do the right thing, keep your car windows rolled up and stop feeding the bears. 

I hope he proves me wrong. I want him to be in the top 10.

#435 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

No, they aren't. Scoring was higher back then, the game was different, goalies weren't wearing mattresses as pads, talent wasn't watered down by 3 more expansion teams. Lots of variables. Ever wonder why Roy's GAA and SV (and every other elite goalie of the 80s early 90s) were astronomically higher than when he was in his prime? Are you going to tell me Howard is on the same wave-length of Roy? Let alone a PRIME Roy?

Clearly you don't know what the word "similier" means. Also Roy was known for wering oversized pads-same as JS, and the reduction in the size happened after him. Now if you want to talk about great goalies in a high scoring era, that would be Fuhr. he was awesome and I don't know if he ever had a GAA under 3 back in the 80's. back when guys would average 2 points per game. More scoring and more fights=better hockey!

#436 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Clearly you don't know what the word "similier" means. Also Roy was known for wering oversized pads-same as JS, and the reduction in the size happened after him. Now if you want to talk about great goalies in a high scoring era, that would be Fuhr. he was awesome and I don't know if he ever had a GAA under 3 back in the 80's. back when guys would average 2 points per game. More scoring and more fights=better hockey!

I googled similier and it's actually not a word.

The only goalie in the past 20 years that hasn't used stupid huge pads is Brodeur.  He is the best goalie ever to play the game and he doesn't cheat and he doesn't get rattled.  Howard has been af****** superstar the past 5 games that's for sure.  Problem is that aside from the game in Vancouver, we can't seem to get the bounces to top 2 friggen goals.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#437 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Howard has been good as of late. He should have stolen the LA and Chicago games, but refereeing and mental mistakes by our D, respectively, cost us those 2.

#438 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Howard has been great the last 3 or 4 starts...I am still not happy with his rebound control and warned of it biting him in the a$$ eventually and it did last night, it cost him the shutout...he still got the win and that is probably more important to him anyhow, but he needs to get that rebounding under control because I would hate for it to cost us a Cup one day...

Good on Jimmy though! He was told he needs to be better and he has been...the two saves last night that he made one on one were just ridiculous.  To use a Mickey-ism, he "Stood on his chin" with those two saves for sure! The one (not the breakaway) has to be in the NHL plays of the week by far! If it isn't then sometime is rotten in Coopersville...an it ain't the cow manure...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#439 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

It is clearly my best thread.

It's clearly the best thread, kudos.  I'll be back soon ;)

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#440 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Howard is better than average. End of story

IPB Image