• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#521 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just took a quick look at the team stats. I think we give Jimmy and the D too much guff sometimes. We are top 5 in GAA.... insane.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#522 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Just took a quick look at the team stats. I think we give Jimmy and the D too much guff sometimes. We are top 5 in GAA.... insane.

And only 20th in goals per game.

#523 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

make all the excuses you want, but the new 5.3 million dollar man just tossed detroit's playoffs hopes out the window last night.

it's over.

thanks a lot, jimmy.

Lol ooops!

#524 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Final average stats:

W: 23

SV%: .923

GAA: 2.13

Edited by Crymson, 28 April 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#525 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Final average stats:

Top 10 in every stat.

#526 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Definitely above average and arguably elite

The playoffs decide things like that.

Pretty much in every sport.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#527 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Still top 10 career SV% in playoffs for active goalies. and 12th in GAA while having "terrible" performances in the playoffs.

#528 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

Still top 10 career SV% in playoffs for active goalies. and 12th in GAA while having "terrible" performances in the playoffs.

Where did I say, "terrible"?

This thread isn't about Howard being that adjective.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 28 April 2013 - 12:59 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#529 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Where did I say, "terrible"?

This thread isn't about Howard being that adjective.  

I meant "terrible" for his numbers. He can play better. Wasn't too clear on how I worded that.

#530 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

???? When Howard plays poorly, people can use his regular season stats as proof that he is "average", but when he puts the team on his back and carries them into the playoffs, the regular season doesn't matter????

I've noticed something while reading through old posts in this thread. That tripod dude is only active on on LGW when something goes wrong for the wings... Is he just a much more patient CentCougar?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#531 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

Final average stats:

Shutouts: 5 (1st in NHL)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#532 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

???? When Howard plays poorly, people can use his regular season stats as proof that he is "average", but when he puts the team on his back and carries them into the playoffs, the regular season doesn't matter????

He didn't carry the team to the playoffs. It was a collective effort from the whole team, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, AND Howard. Franzen with 7 goals in past few weeks, Zetterberg with 2 goals and 9 points in 4 games and Datsyuk somwhere similar with 10 points or so this past week. Without the offense, there is no winning. Without a goalie, there is no winning. Collective effort, all the leaders stepped up. Please stick to the facts kind sir.

#533 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

He didn't carry the team to the playoffs. It was a collective effort from the whole team, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, AND Howard. Franzen with 7 goals in past few weeks, Zetterberg with 2 goals and 9 points in 4 games and Datsyuk somwhere similar with 10 points or so this past week. Without the offense, there is no winning. Without a goalie, there is no winning. Collective effort, all the leaders stepped up. Please stick to the facts kind sir.

Ok, but the point is that he let in 1 goal against Vancouver (and then one in the shootout), 0 goals against Phoenix, 1 against LA, 2 against Nashville and 0 against Dallas. Of course it wasn't ONLY him. If it was  only him he would have to score the goals too, but he was our most valuable player down the stretch. (followed closely by Z and Dats) I'm sorry for focusing more on Howard in the thread that is specifically about Howard, but I think you probably got my point.

Regardless, if Howard continues to play the way he has been, we'll be in for some exciting upsets!

LGW!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#534 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't think you understand the concept of carrying a team. It doesn't mean that one does all of the work, else the term would not exist.

#535 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

I don't think you understand the concept of carrying a team. It doesn't mean that one does all of the work, else the term would not exist.

Actually I perfectly understand the concept and the man corrected himself. It means to do MOST of the work. Which isn't true. Not even close.

The statement was extreme and I pointed out the fact, as Mike Babcock, Howard HIMSELF, and dats and Z have said, is that this past week EVERYONE has stepped up. I wouldn't describe Howards performance as "carrying the team". That implies most players aren't performing as well and it was upto him to carry them on his shoulders (as the more formal use of the phrase which has its roots from a parent carrying a child on their shoulders when making a long journey). Historical fact of English phrases for you.

The past weeks performance would be stated  "Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and the rest of the squad did an excellent job and helped their team uplift the redwings franchise towards their 22nd consecutive playoff appearance.". Not "howard carried the team"

Edited by kickazz, 28 April 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#536 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,043 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Everyone said his numbers would take a hit without Lidstrom and Stuart this year, all he did was have the best numbers of his career. And tied for the lead in shutouts. Hats off to Jimmy, I've been critical of him in the past but he was clutch this year when we needed him the most. Now he needs to go make a name for himself in the playoffs.

#NOMOREKINDL

#537 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Actually I perfectly understand the concept and the man corrected himself. It means to do MOST of the work. Which isn't true. Not even close.

The statement was extreme and I pointed out the fact, as Mike Babcock, Howard HIMSELF, and dats and Z have said, is that this past week EVERYONE has stepped up. I wouldn't describe Howards performance as "carrying the team". That implies most players aren't performing as well and it was upto him to carry them on his shoulders (as the more formal use of the phrase which has its roots from a parent carrying a child on their shoulders when making a long journey). Historical fact of English phrases for you.

The past weeks performance would be stated  "Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and the rest of the squad did an excellent job and helped their team uplift the redwings franchise towards their 22nd consecutive playoff appearance.". Not "howard carried the team"

well that is great his 2 shutouts in the last 4 games didn't carry the team and franzen, pasha, and z were hot the last 10 games.... what about the 30 games before those that howie stood on his head for us, almost every night, and gave us every chance to win when we couldn't even pot more than 1-2 goals?

detroit finished in 20th for g/g with 2.54, and finished in 5th for ga/g with 2.29, god I wish I could see what would happen if howard did "carry" this team all year... <_<

#538 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

howard put the team on his back tho. one of the best goalies in the league tho

#539 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

well that is great his 2 shutouts in the last 4 games didn't carry the team and franzen, pasha, and z were hot the last 10 games.... what about the 30 games before those that howie stood on his head for us, almost every night, and gave us every chance to win when we couldn't even pot more than 1-2 goals?

detroit finished in 20th for g/g with 2.54, and finished in 5th for ga/g with 2.29, god I wish I could see what would happen if howard did "carry" this team all year... <_<

You mean the game in Calgary with 2 fluke shots ? or the game on march 31 against chicago where he got pulled? Or maybe the game against Minnesota on March 20th where he let in 4 goals on 19 shots? Is that your description him "standing on his head for the past 30 games?"

Now, don't think I'm a Howard hater. I love Jimmy, but I'm more realistic about things than some of extreme fanatics out there. By no means was Howard the ONLY guy and the ONLY reason the red wings made it. Trust me I recognize the fact that Howard did an ELITE job this past week and a GREAT job the past month. Not an elite job, a great job in the past month. Someone pointed out a fact on the other thread that the Wings were 18-0-2 when they scored 3/4 or more goals. Where do those stats come from? Obviously the offense right? It's silly to keep acting like Howard carried the team when the contributions were from everyone stepping up. If Howard really did "carry" the team. He will get the Vezina. If he doesn't, none of the fanatics are right. My money's on Sergei Bobrovsky because he actually DID carry the team with a subpar roster and literally no superstar on that team.

Edited by kickazz, 29 April 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#540 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I give credit where its due. Howard played great from about game 15-20 on. Dude is a workhorse, and he is a great ambassador for the Red Wings more importantly. He's not out there Kaning it up between games. I like where the Wings sit with their goalies and their defensemen right now.