781 replies to this topic

#541 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Outstanding goalie this year...
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#542 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Outstanding goalie this year...

Ya you're right. Better stats that his career averages and he lost lids and Stuart. He mustve always just been average.

Why is this thread still open? Seriously it was just a troll posting this. Anyone can think Howard us average but stats prove you're wrong!

#543 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Ya you're right. Better stats that his career averages and he lost lids and Stuart. He mustve always just been average.

Why is this thread still open? Seriously it was just a troll posting this. Anyone can think Howard us average but stats prove you're wrong!

At the time it started, the stats weren't that great.

#544 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

You mean the game in Calgary with 2 fluke shots ? or the game on march 31 against chicago where he got pulled? Or maybe the game against Minnesota on March 20th where he let in 4 goals on 19 shots? Is that your description him "standing on his head for the past 30 games?"

Now, don't think I'm a Howard hater. I love Jimmy, but I'm more realistic about things than some of extreme fanatics out there. By no means was Howard the ONLY guy and the ONLY reason the red wings made it. Trust me I recognize the fact that Howard did an ELITE job this past week and a GREAT job the past month. Not an elite job, a great job in the past month. Someone pointed out a fact on the other thread that the Wings were 18-0-2 when they scored 3/4 or more goals. Where do those stats come from? Obviously the offense right? It's silly to keep acting like Howard carried the team when the contributions were from everyone stepping up. If Howard really did "carry" the team. He will get the Vezina. If he doesn't, none of the fanatics are right. My money's on Sergei Bobrovsky because he actually DID carry the team with a subpar roster and literally no superstar on that team.

Given that he is the NHL's statistical leader over the past two months, I'd say that he has indeed done an ELITE job during that span.

#545 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Howard has been unreal for us of late.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#546 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

At the time it started, the stats weren't that great.

Overreact less then? There's more than 2 games in a season.

#547 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Cute....

...at the time, Jimmy was playing pretty average.  His rebound control was horrible and still is a little suspect.  That, if anything, is the one thing that will hurt him.  Cannot deny that as the season progressed so did Jimmy and in the end he was a HUGE part of the reason we made it to the playoffs.

He needs to play this way a ton now in order to justify his contract. Hope he is up to the task..so far he has done a great job, I hope he keeps it going. But ya, when the thread started he was playing pretty average...no need for personal attacks by calling someone a troll.

Holland will not give Jimmy 5M+.

Howard will get 4M.

Whoops! :lol: :P

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#548 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Overreact less then? There's more than 2 games in a season.

This is a discussion forum. You understand the concept of discussion, right? If you want to start a forum called "Indisputable Facts", be my guest. I will even post first:

The only NHL team Steve Yzerman ever played for is the Detroit Red Wings.

Can you feel your excitement level rising now?

#549 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

This is a discussion forum. You understand the concept of discussion, right? If you want to start a forum called "Indisputable Facts", be my guest. I will even post first:
The only NHL team Steve Yzerman ever played for is the Detroit Red Wings.
Can you feel your excitement level rising now?

True but he is average.

#550 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

True but he is average.

He's shown otherwise lately. Let's see how he holds up when it counts!!!

#551 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Given that he is the NHL's statistical leader over the past two months, I'd say that he has indeed done an ELITE job during that span.

Stats don't matter when you get pulled, scored on 4 times on 19 shots, and put it in your own net 2 times in one game. Stats do matter when you do none of that , which he did exactly last week. Last week he didn't mess up and played like he's a future hall of famer.

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting puck into your own net and getting pulled.

Edited by kickazz, 29 April 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#552 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I would find it even a little refreshing if you would just admit that you jumped the gun and you made a mistake instead of saying "well, we will see how he does now".

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#553 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Stats don't matter when you get pulled, scored on 4 times on 19 shots, and put it in your own net 2 times in one game. Stats do matter when you do none of that , which he did exactly last week. Last week he didn't mess up and played like he's a future hall of famer.

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting puck into your own net and getting pulled.

what i don't get, while we rip into howard, is that the elites do the same darn thing. Bad games. Get pulled. Turn overs that lead to goals. but for some reason we ignore that (as do all sport fans when they singling out a player...it's almost like selective hearing) and magnify howard's common goalie mistakes...just to justify an argument. or to justify why he's a lower tier. but if quick does it? he gets a pass. lundqvist? pass. rinne? pass. now schneider get's all over these passes (and he has made some boo-boo's this season too).

We call these inconsistencies with howard. the other goalies? they are mistakes. I keep reading them here, and over at HFboards....but the double standard doesn't add up/make sense. Does Howard have another set of rules? But what does make sense is the overall season, correct? Why do people judge a player on their mistakes, then call them average..., and these are few,, but in the same breath ignore the many, MANY, awesome feats them have pulled for the team this season? It's like..."you messed up once howard, you turned over the puck and those are  inconsistencies I do not tolerate!" " What? Other elite goalies do it too? Oh, those are just gaffs on their part..., you cannot be inconsistent!" 

Howard: ....... Save % .923 "Is that good enough" ..."No! You are average because of a few bad games, howard. Accept it!"

Blown out proportion? Yea...but it sure as hell seems that Howard has to play the puck like Brodeur, or better. Post .920+ every game. 10+SO. If the Wings cannot score more than 2 goals? Who cares...Howard better get us to the 3rd round or better or he's just  average at best...

i would only call one  goalie elite, and that's Lundqvist...and he's  even made the gaffs that Howard has over his career...many-a-times. Honestly? If we are sitting here tearing apart a goalie we got in howard...a .consistent .920+ goalie (one season aside)...we could always get bryz, as people still consider him a top 10 goalie and howard barely a top 20, sometimes he doesn't even crack top 25.

#554 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Rask, quick, Luongo, Schneider, lundqvist and price all had their fair share of bad games too.
Over the course of a full season, stats DO matter. It proves that he has had enough great games to make up for those bad games.
Nobody is arguing that he had no bad games this year, they are arguing that he has been WELL over average over the course of the whole year.
I'm one of the biggest Howard lovers out there, and I'll admit that he cannot be called "elite" yet, but I think will get there in the near future (starting with a Cinderella cup run maybe?) and I think he is well above average

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#555 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

If you go over to the Anaheim board, they're all a little nervous about facing Howard, and give him the edge in the series.  In fact, there's a lot of pessimism over at the Duck HFboards.  They're fans and root for the Ducks of course, but I don't see any 4,5, or 6 game predictions in their favor over there.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#556 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

Believe it or not, even the best goalies on the planet have terrible games from time to time. I'll give you some examples from the past two months of other goalies:

Bobrovsky: five goals allowed on 24 shots on 3/28 vs Edmonton; four goals allowed on 11 shots on 3/23 against Nashville

Rask: five goals allowed on 28 shots on 3/27 vs Montreal; four goals allowed on 26 shots against on 3/3 vs Montreal and 3/5 vs Washington

Schneider: five goals allowed on 30 shots on 4/28 vs Dallas; four goals allowed on 26 shots on 4/13 vs Colorado

Lundquist: four goals allowed on 28 shots on 4/19 vs Buffalo and 4/8 vs Toronto

Niemi: four goals allowed on 18 shots on 3/16 vs L.A.; four goals allowed on 26 shots on 4/9 vs Columbus

And so on. Does this help to put things into perspective for you? Further, your implication that Howard put the puck into his own net twice vs Calgary is incorrect. The first goal was the fault of Ericsson and dumb luck, and the second was the product of a giveaway.

Edited by Crymson, 30 April 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#557 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

The greatest HoF goalies have had bad days and bad plays

#558 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Its "counted" for the last two weeks and weve seen how strong he is. 

#559 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Elite Goalies do make mistakes and they do cost their teams games, even playoff games:

http://blog.mlive.co...liberty_go.html

Sometimes it is a stupid play, sometimes it is trying to make a play they shouldn't, and sometimes it is Just being too arrogant:

Patrick Roy, Martin Broduer, even Terry Sawchuck have all been pulled over their career. Hell the time Roy should have been pulled in Montreal is the reason he wanted out of Montreal. He gave up 9 goals(to the Wings) and the team left him in. After finally being pulled he said I want the F**K out of here, in his own words of course.

The point: even elite goalies (Which Howard is not yet) give up bad goals and get pulled.

To quote Forrest Gump:

"It happens"

"What?, s***?"

"Yes"

Edited by Opie, 30 April 2013 - 07:43 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#560 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

The greatest HoF goalies have had bad days and bad plays

Then you have Broduer letting in a goal off a clearing attempt from the other side of the ice in game 6 of the cup finals in 2003.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain