• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#581 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Howard gave us a chance to win last night, and all our skaters could do was put in a goal off clearys chest on a 5 on 3... Lol.

People that honestly think Howard is our problem are incredibly confused because he has saved this season and is the reason were in the playoffs and the reason game 1 was even a game, especially after the rediculous amount if turnovers by our D

#582 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Will people please cease posting "lock this thread" in the thread?  If you don't care to discuss the topic, don't enter the thread. I personally think that we could have the reincarnation of Terry Sawchuk and people would still ***** around here.  It's what they do.  I don't agree with it, so I don't post in the thread.  As a mod I am, unfortunately, required to enter the thread.  Goalie wars are inevitable.  This thread would be more on track if people who didn't want to participate in the discussion would cease commenting on other's discussing it.   I suspect this thread has yet to be closed because our goaltending actually is discussion-worthy and Matt runs a pretty loose ship.  If Matt tires of this war, the thread will be locked. Until then, please keep the discussion courteous and on topic. Thanks!

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#583 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

If Franzen plays like Helm, we win. If he plays like Franzen, we lose. Jimmy is doing well.

#584 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

You said this "

Stats don't matter when you get pulled, scored on 4 times on 19 shots, and put it in your own net 2 times in one game. Stats do matter when you do none of that , which he did exactly last week. Last week he didn't mess up and played like he's a future hall of famer.

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting puck into your own net and getting pulled."
Which could be the equivalent of
"Stats don't matter when you allow 9 goals on 26 shots and quit the team because of it, when you actually (which Howard didn't actually) put the puck in your own net (Statue of Liberty)

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting the puck into your own net and getting pulled multiple times.

ps. A goalie doesn't win a Cup a team does.
There have been many goalies as good as Roy that will never get recognized for it because they didn't have the opportunities he had, playing for the teams he played for.

You said this "

Stats don't matter when you get pulled, scored on 4 times on 19 shots, and put it in your own net 2 times in one game. Stats do matter when you do none of that , which he did exactly last week. Last week he didn't mess up and played like he's a future hall of famer.

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting puck into your own net and getting pulled."
Which could be the equivalent of
"Stats don't matter when you allow 9 goals on 26 shots and quit the team because of it, when you actually (which Howard didn't actually) put the puck in your own net (Statue of Liberty)

ELITE status doesn't comprise putting the puck into your own net and getting pulled multiple times.

ps. A goalie doesn't win a Cup a team does.
There have been many goalies as good as Roy that will never get recognized for it because they didn't have the opportunities he had, playing for the teams he played for.

Doesn't matter Roy still won the Conn smyth 3 times and won the stanely cup 4. He's rated number 1/2 goalie on countless books and magazines, polls and shows. Howard is still young and has a long way to go before you can jump the on his *...

Not quite.

Won the Lester B. Pearson in 1988-89 season.

All rookie team in 1984.

Second in Calder voting.

First 18-year-old to play in the All-Star game.

In 1989, I had an NHL stars poster in my dorm room which included Chelios, Savard, Gretz, Lemieux, and Yzerman, among others.

All this was long before Yzerman scored that winner against St. Louis.

EDIT: Fixed a typo

Still didn't make his career until the mid 90s when he led them through 2 stanely cups along with countless clutch plays including the OT winner. Yzerman became a world known captain in the mid to late 90s, I know this because I spent some time overseas during that period and he was a media frenzy then. Point being, Yzerman wouldn't have made hall of fame without a good track record as he had. Jimmy Howard has yet to create his own legacy.

#585 IndianaRedWing

IndianaRedWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Howard isn't an elite goaltender. He's a good one.

The rest of the roster isn't good, it's mediocre.

That's the problem. Howard can outduel Hiller and still lose. He's got a harder job facing an Anaheim team that had one of the best powerplays in the NHL during the RS, and that ranked 8th in overall scoring . . . than Hiller does facing a Wings team that ranked 20th in scoring and 15th on the power play.

On the one hand, it's true to say that the Wings aren't going anywhere this postseason unless Howard stands on his head, and he hasn't done that. But that's an incredibly misleading way to look at it. You could also say that nobody short of Ken Dryden is taking this squad to the finals, and even that would be less than 50-50.

Absolutely, Jimmy needs to create his own legacy. If that's going to be in Detroit, though, he's going to need some help.

#586 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

The team needs to play well or Howard is cooked. This squad isn't good enough to win ugly. When we're ugly, we are UGLY!!!

#587 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Howard is what he is, I  have been saying that all year he is a good goalie not elite but good. Even Henrik Lundquist wouldn't help right now, the Wings need to be better on the defensive part of the game and score more goals otherwhise good fight good night.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#588 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

Bump...nuf said
  • Nev likes this
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#589 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

HOWIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#590 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Game 7 extraordinaire!!!!!
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

#591 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

My theory is that you don't have to be great..you just have to be better then the other guy and he outplayed Hiller by a ton.  Ask Grant Fuhr about this theory.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#592 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Clutch.

#593 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Curious what Howards GAA is if you take away bullcrap goals we gave away to them, like off own players... almost want to take away the giveaway from Flippers that was an easy stuff for Etem.

#594 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

My theory is that you don't have to be great..you just have to be better then the other guy and he outplayed Hiller by a ton.  Ask Grant Fuhr about this theory.

Now he has to outplay crawford 

#595 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

when you put it that way, I feel a lot better about playing the hawks

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#596 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Howard's rebounds are nerve racking, but I like having him as our goalie now.

#597 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Crawford sucks

Edited by kickazz, 13 May 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#598 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

This is the Chicago series in a nutshell.  He's better than Crawford, but he has to be much better.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#599 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Seemed appropriate to bump this.

I'll say this, I cannot remember the last time a Detroit goalie faced 39 shots in regulation in the playoffs and only allowed one goal. If Howard is average, every wings goalie in recent memory is just terrible.

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot), 20 May 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#600 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Howard is the MVP this playoffs. I'm proud of him. And let me point out that I was critical of him for not having great playoff performances his first few seasons. He's started to become a good veteran goaltender. Good for you Jimmy.